Parents caring for the parent support thread (Part 1)

<p>Midwest, sorry that post sounded rude! I was delayed in posting my reply to #869.</p>

<p>So sorry about the loss of your mother, but so glad to hear how wonderfully it went.</p>

<p>MidwestParent --</p>

<p>Thank you for sharing your last day with your mother with us. Please take care.</p>

<p>Midwest Parent you are a great inspiration! Sounds like your mom had a wonderful and peaceful death. We should all be as fortunate. </p>

<p>A dear friend had a dying mom in the hospital and an out of town appointment she HAD to keep for an essential health issue. She was very torn about it. We urged her to make a tape of her talking soothingly to her mom with music and telling her she was loved but if it was her time to leave Earth and join her beloved husband it was ok. </p>

<p>Friends came and took turns holding her hand while they played the tape. She died peacefully, holding the hand of a good friend of her D’s.</p>

<p>So sorry for your loss, MidwestParent. It sounds like your mother was able to die on her terms with your loving assistance.</p>

<p>MidwestParent, I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing the journey that you took with your mom. How incredibly precious your gifts to each other are.</p>

<p>MidwestMom, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like a wonderful way to go, a gift as you said.</p>

<p>My condolences, to you, Midwest Parent, but yes, what a gift for both of you. Hugs.</p>

<p>MidWest Parent, so sorry for your loss; your story made me cry. I’m glad for you and your mother that you were able to honor her wishes.</p>

<p>Midwestparent, what an amazing gift you and your mom were able to give one another. May her memory be a blessing for all who knew and loved her.</p>

<p>I have tears in my eyes… How precious that she knew she could turn confidently to you.</p>

<p>I am so sorry for your loss, MidwestParent. I have tears running down my face. </p>

<p>Thank you for sharing your story. Your final gift of helping her die gave her death with dignity on her terms. You are inspirational.</p>

<p>MidwestParent, I only wish that I will be able to give my parents the gift of such dignity. Your post brought tears to my eyes. I wish you much comfort during this difficult time.</p>

<p>MidwestParent, deepest condolences to you. How beautiful your description of your mom’s last moments. I too cried reading your words and remembering being with my DMIL in a similar way 11 yrs ago. Thank you for sharing with us during this difficult time.</p>

<p>Midwest Parent, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. The strength and dignity shown by both you and your mother is truly an inspiration to me.</p>

<p>Thank you to everyone for your kind words.</p>

<p>My father, who is 90 years old & in assisted living, just announced he is moving to one of the smaller (1-room) units from his 2-room unit. He says he doesn’t need the space and it will save him some money each month, but I am surprised. When he moved there in November we were worried he would feel constricted after living in a house all his life, but he seems happy with his shrinking world.</p>

<p>OTOH, it’s not JUST a bedroom because he goes out to other rooms for meals, PT, socializing, and so forth. Even down the hall for a walk is more exercise than he was getting in the house because he couldn’t get out in the yard anymore.</p>

<p>Mommusic … color me jealous! Sounds similar to the place my mom is. And when she isn’t imagining a fuss, she is lots happier where she is. She is a social person and is eating lots better. I am glad your dad is happy where he is. That is a gift, too.</p>

<p>I get updates/journal summaries every two weeks from Mom’s caretaker. It is sad to read about her (Mom’s) wandering thoughts. Sometimes I think she is trying to cause trouble to get out of there, but most times I just know she can’t think straight. … and yet, because she can dress herself and feed herself, the LTC doesn’t kick in. grrr</p>

<p>MidwestParent, condolences on the loss of you mom. Thinking of the snow and the harp music, it’s hard to imagine a more peaceful setting to say goodbye.</p>

<p>Hi all! You sound like a kind and supportive group. I am new to this thread and don’t have time at the moment to read any earlier posts, so I hope it’s the right place for a question. My mom was just diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, and also broke her hip shortly after the diagnosis. When she’s feeling good and her pain is under control, she can get to the bathroom with her walker and/or wheelchair. But when she’s not up to it, she’s like dead weight and hard for my dad to manage alone. So we just got her a commode for next to her bed. Having seen the state of their bathroom floor before I cleaned it, I am wondering what I could put under the portable commode to protect the carpet and yet not make a tripping hazard. The carpet is quite old, so I don’t care about damage as much as general hygiene and odor. I thought about a plastic runner, but they have so many grooves it would be hard to keep clean. Something disposable would be nice. Thanks for any suggestions.</p>

<p>TheGfg … I’d look for the bed protector pads from a med supply store? If you want to go more high end.</p>

<p>Or just cut big garden/debris garbage bags in half and put them under. They are light enough not to trip and cheap enough not to worry about tossing daily. </p>

<p>Today Mom is fighting me via the phone. Told her dentist that I didn’t need to know about her teeth. sigh. I’ll get her to sign a release when I go up next week. But it is painful.</p>