Parents caring for the parent support thread (Part 1)

@MaineLonghorn that’s not uncommon, in my experience, that some places are great for IL but not for AL or good for nursing level care but not for personal care. Which is kind of a pain, if you are choosing a place for your parent to “age in place” and not have to move them.

My parents were in a fabulous place for IL but then when mom was hospitalized they were horrible at being able to manage dad’s diabetes and ended up putting him in Skilled Nursing, which was way more care than he needed and the other residents were practically bed bound but he was very independent. So I ended up moving them to a PC place near me.

Had a conversation with a geriatrician physician friend today (how lucky am I to have one of those!) who told me my folks (and probably many of yours) are classic dilemmas with dementia. The Memory Care units are designed and obligated to care for a resident who is declining cognitively but that often involves needing more assistants and people who are trained in dementia. So they often send them out to ERs or other places to try to “fix” things.

My mom was sent to a hospital with an inpatient psych unit last night because she was very aggressive and yelling etc. At the ER, the mental health person and doc said, she is not nearly a candidate for inpatient psych. That unit is for actively suicidal people or those on psychotic breaks etc. In their opinion, mom had dementia and sundowning and that can make people act out, especially if it is not headed off at the pass with redirection and reorientation.

So the MC place feels like mom is a burden and sends to ER. The ER thinks mom is way below the threshold of needing ER care and sends her home.

In this case, I don’t think the ER was appropriate. I am hoping we can try some new Rx. My doc friend said a lot of those meds will have the black box warning, that there’s s increased risk of cardiac problems or sudden death.

I am absolutely willing to take that risk. She is 84, how much more time does she have? Would I rather her live longer in an agitated, anxious state, or try a med that might make her calm and able to enjoy dad’s company, with a risk that she could have a heart attack? Friend said that is the exact right mindset but he is so used to families saying, No do everything you can regardless of QOL.

@compmom I really feel for you. I was glad to see my mom for the first time in 4 months, even if it was is the ER but it was so sad seeing her in that state. That is not my “real mom” I kept thinking. It must be awful to see her cry like that. Try to remember that you can’t fix everything.

@surfcity I discovered that freestanding memory care units geared to dementia are so much better than the MC’s that are part of a continuum, CCRC or AL or whatever. This was a revelation. They actually exist for the benefit of residents whereas at my mother’s AL, MC is for the benefit of the facility (liability for wandering) and people have to fail utterly at AL to get in.

The freestanding MC I looked at had a geriatric doctor, psychiatrist and social worker on staff.

This doesn’t help you but I just feel a lot of these places don’t do a proper job. It’s horrible your mom gets caught in that limbo between ER and facility. I’m so sorry you had to see her like that (but glad you got to see her).

@compmom thank you for that rec that free standing memory care units might be better. I am still on the learning curve (6 years later!) and wasn’t really aware there were such places. One was recommended to me near here so I am going to look into them, for now or later.

Today’s status - mom is in local hospital, with the goal to move her to a geriatric psych unit in another hospital so we can try some stronger psych meds. I was against the psych unit initially, but had a crash course in mental health law, state law regarding psych meds, plus I witnessed my mom, whom I had just spent 4 lovely, calm hours with, turn into an absolute terror, screaming at the staff, accusing people of having guns, etc. It was like a lightswitch. So clearly we can’t rely on an aide to distract her any more.

Thanks for all the support. This is such an up and down journey. My DH said to think of it as no different than if she had cancer and they find new tumors and have to try new meds, etc. That is a rollercoaster ride too. With aging, there are no good rides I guess.

Our local hospital’s psych floor is excellent. They deal mostly with geriatric patients. It’s so good, though, that my son, 27, prefers it to any other hospital. It’s amazing how the quality of care differs so widely even in the same area.

My Dad spent two weeks in a psych hospital that specializes in geriatrics prior to going to Memory Care. The social worker at the psych hospital hooked us up with a gal who showed us a few Memory Cares. That was huge because we had no idea where to start.

My mother and I talked through a window yesterday and of course she again asked to leave.

She told me that some of the people there are old and really need it (she is 93) and that she is doing so well that she can play tennis (she has a walker and congestive heart failure).

She said this with so much compassion for those less fortunate.

@compmom : A wise family member told me that as we age, we just get “more-so”, and traits we’ve always had simply become stronger. How special that your mom has remained so compassionate. I hope my better traits win out as I age.

@kjofkw The comment about compassion for those less fortunate was kind of a joke, honestly. Compassion isn’t a strong suit for my mother usually but in this case, it was a way of expressing her imagined superiority to those old folks around her :slight_smile: I would say the trait that has amplified with age is pride!

Well, the journey has ended. My dad passed away yesterday, after about a year of disability. In August of 2012, when this thread started, he had just divorced his second wife and was very needy and reaching out to my sister and me for help. He pulled himself together for a few years. We bought the house next door to him in 2014, then moved in beside him in 2016. We met every day for coffee at 8 and a beer at 5, until his health would not allow it. There were many bumps in the road, but he passed peacefully just after a beautiful sunrise. Thank you to everyone on this thread. I am pretty sure I checked just about every day since it started.

@BerneseMtnMom My condolences. You made some sweet memories with him; may they comfort you.

@BerneseMtnMom - I’m sorry for your loss but glad you had many good years with your Dad. Take care of yourself as you grieve.

BMMom, what a beautiful post. Your love shines. Best to you, during these new tough times.

@BerneseMtnMom Sending condolences. Sounds like a very compassionate end of life and life ending. A beautiful sunrise is a great image.

@BerneseMtnMom - So sorry for the loss of your father. Be kind to yourself.

@BerneseMtnMom. Sorry for your loss. May his memory be a blessing. So good he went peacefully and not in pain.

@BerneseMtnDog my condolences. I love the idea of the coffee and beer every day!

What a wonderful post. Love the coffee and beer. It sounds like it was a peaceful death, and hope it was. So sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing this long journey here.

@BerneseMtnMom I’m so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you made some well-cherished memories over the past few years, and I’m glad the end was peaceful.

@BerneseMtnMom, I’m so sorry. May your memories be a comfort and a blessing.

@BerneseMtnMom - I’m so very sorry. Peace and love to you and your family.