Parents of HS Class of 2024 3.0-3.4 GPA

Oh we will (ok, I will but wife is kind of holding back :sweat_smile:). I have gone to my junior and senior proms, so I really want S24 to experience it. However, wife has never gone to a prom. Therefore, all she knows about prom was from movies… :sweat:

Anyway, we had a talk and once he is hired for the PT job, he will be using some of the money to pay for it.

3 Likes

Just spent a week in Argentina helping my mom with some health concerns. I think I have mentioned before that she is completely out of touch with reality about college admissions these days. A few things she has said “tell him to put his grandparents address in CA and he will qualify for in-state”, he needs to apply to HYP, etc., etc. So I really tried to avoid any discussion of college related stuff while I was there. It of course came up anyway. I mentioned the schools he is thinking about. She quickly said “but he is also going to apply to HYP, right?” I said "no Mom, he has zero desire for any ivy, nor would he get in. He will be lucky to get into half the schools on his list. She then says “of course he will get in, he is handsome and nice”.:rofl::rofl::rofl: She was dead serious. I started cracking up and said “OK Mom, I will be sure to have him include in his essay that he is handsome and nice so they accept him”. :rofl::joy::crazy_face::sob:

6 Likes

I know I am week late to the post 3/11 SAT discussion since I was out of the country when S24 took it. He said it was “horrendous” and that he will be shocked if he scores any better than his PSAT (which was indeed horrendous). ACT is 4/15- hoping that goes a bit better.

2 Likes

D24 got a survey from College Board asking about her SAT experience on 3/11.

My MIL has similarly sage advice for D24 as your mom does for your son. My MIL has said stuff like, “But I thought that because she goes to School X, she’ll get into whatever college she wants.” :rofl: Um…that’s not how it works.

It’s Sunday evening, so had another 15-min ‘let’s talk college stuff’ sit down w/D24. We skipped last week because we were in NM for the UNM tour. Stuff that came up this evening:

• for some reason, D24 thought that the 1-week summer scrubs medical/healthcare summer camp was an ‘internship’ and if she had a summer internship, then we wouldn’t make her get a summer part time job. So…there was some drama about that. :rofl: Sorry, kiddo…but yeah, you will be getting a summer job.
  • made her come up w/a list of possible places to apply. Because her friends all work in retail jobs, she, too, wants a retail job. We convinced her to also add Starbucks and In & Out Burger to the list.
  • next week, she needs to jot down all of the HR/career sites for those companies.
  • goal will be to submit apps to all of them by 4/15.
  • explained to her that it takes time to get hired somewhere. They’re not all going to call you right away. That’s why you’ll apply in April. She thought that you’d have to start right away and she doesn’t want to start a job until after AP exams are done (reasonable request)…explained to her that in the job interview when they ask you when can you start, you tell them when you can start. It’s pretty simple. Just tell them.
  • right now, she’s watching 3 Youtube videos that I assigned to her to watch. 1 is all about the differences between MD, NP, and PA. She rolled her eyes at me when I told her that she needs to jot down the pros & cons of each and be prepared to talk about it w/me later.
  • the other 2 Youtube videos both explain different ways of getting direct patient care experience hours if you want to go to PA grad school. Side note: I’m making her watch this stuff on Youtube w/the hopes that her hearing this information from somebody other than Mom or Dad will help it to sink in a bit more. I’ve used this strategy w/her before and it seems to work, so…I’m goin’ with that. :joy:
  • tomorrow, we have a meeting at 3 pm w/the senior school counselor to talk about college application stuff. DH is not going, but that’s probably a good thing because he tends to dominate conversations w/school staff about this topic. And the meeting is only for 30 min.
  • learned that the AP Calculus AB teacher gave out an extra credit assignment for spring break and D24 already completed it and submitted it online. YAY!

A couple of things I thought about asking the senior counselor tomorrow:

1. (question from DH) - Do all the public colleges use unweighted GPAs when handling admissions and merit scholarships? Do they consider at all that D24’s curriculum at her high school is a lot harder than at some other schools?
  2. Would you (the counselor) recommend D24 to start over the summer w/Common App personal statement prompts?
  3. Do you recommend that if a student has a C in a class, that the teacher for that class would be a good choice to request a letter of rec from? (I know the answer to this is ‘no,’ but I need D24 to hear it herself from the counselor)
  4. What advice or recommendations, suggestions would you have for a student who has a hard time “tooting their own horn”?

For #4, D24 is a very humble person. Doesn’t brag. Focuses a lot on finding common ground w/other students. At the same time, a lot of her classmates at school are hypervigilant/hyperfocused on getting straight A’s all the time…and honestly, D24 just doesn’t have straight A’s. As a result, she doesn’t see herself as remarkable, unique, etc. She’s quiet and reserved…and then once she feels at ease w/you, then she opens up and will talk your ear off.

The college essays are going to be hard for her because she has a hard time with being introspective and explaining how she thinks to somebody else. She also gets really bad writer’s block in this area, too. I’m hoping that the college counseling class next year will help with this.

2 Likes

I think these two things alone are wonderful traits. Trying to finds common ground with others means she understands being part of a community and what that entails. She can pull in specifics about the schools she likes and how that community would be a great place for her to find commonalities with others. I am very similar in terms of being introverted and quiet until I feel at ease and then I am happy to talk all day. I feel like it allows me time to really listen to people and get a sense of who they are and not waste time on random small talk. This will be valuable in the healthcare field in terms of patients feeling safe/comfortable and feeling like they were “heard”. I am a nurse practitioner and there really is a benefit to being able to sit and listen to people and not jumping right in just to “talk”.

6 Likes

I will have to ask him if he got the same survey. I wonder if “it totally sucked” is one of the answer options :joy:

2 Likes

After much eye rolling, she filled out the survey and one of the questions asked if she’d be willing to be contacted further to talk about her test experience with College Board people. I made her answer yes because the test taking on 3/11 was truly an ordeal. They absolutely needed more proctors.

2 Likes

Met for 30 min w/senior college counselor at school today. Here’s the highlights/info I got in case it’s helpful:

1. Do all public colleges use unweighted GPA when handling admissions or merit scholarships? Not necessarily. ASU, for example, recalculates GPA. Many public colleges DO use unweighted GPA though. Not all of them. Counselor sends each college a school profile, which includes an explanation of our high school’s sort of unusual senior year. The school profile she writes up also includes a description of the min graduation requirements, what the average student takes, etc. She said, “colleges can see that our min HS graduation requirements are a lot more than a lot of other HS’s.”
  2. Do you recommend that if a student has a C in a class, that the teacher would be a good one to request a letter of rec from? Depends on student’s connection w/the teacher. Counselor said that getting a C doesn’t necessarily rule it out…if that teacher can see a good work ethic, you actively participate in class, you’ve shown that you’re working really hard all year, etc., then go for it. Counselor also mentioned that a teacher just asked her earlier today for help in figuring out how to write a letter of rec for a kid who gets A’s in the class w/o even trying and the student literally sleeps through every single class…the teacher hasn’t ever seen him work hard, so she’s stumped in how she’s supposed to write a good letter of rec for the kid.
  3. Should D24 start writing the common app personal statement essay this summer? YES. Definitely at least get started on it. It will save time and stress in Sept & Oct this fall.
  4. What advice would you have for a student who has a hard time tooting their own horn? Start with free writing. Write for one page on any topics you want. It can even be about how stupid you think it is to have to write about something for a page. She said that usually there’s at least ONE nugget of something useful in the free-writes that you can work with. Counselor also said that a lot of HS students think that your essay has to be about how you cured cancer or something ridiculously out of this world…she said that colleges really just want to see what makes you tick, how you think.
  5. D24’s grades weren’t great in 9th grade during the pandemic. Would you recommend touching upon this in 1 of the essays? Yes, a little bit…there’s 1 part of the Common App that gives you the opportunity to explain how COVID affected you. But remember that some kids’ parents lost their jobs, their homes, some kids might have had a parent die during the pandemic, so just consider that when writing a response to this topic.
  6. Have you seen other students from this HS w/D24’s approximate GPA get accepted into UofA’s honors college? Not a whole lot. Last year, nobody below a 3.7 got into the Univ of Arizona honors college. She thinks that D24 should try anyway, though.
  7. What type of additional essays are required to apply to Univ of Arizona honors college? U of A has only 1 honors essay, it’s pretty much “why us?” Counselor said that ASU’s honors app essays are much more involved.
  8. Right now, D24 has a 1200 SAT. Took SAT again on 3/11, but don’t have score yet. Should D24 apply test optional? YES. An emphatic yes from the counselor. She said that in colleges’ most recent Common Data Sets and admitted student profiles, the SAT/ACT mid-50% is trending much higher than before because basically only if you’re above 1500 SAT (or equivalent ACT) would you submit test scores now.

Other random notes:

• Counselor said that Austin College, Southwestern Univ, and Centre College all give out lots of merit $$.
  • Counselor said that she’s been many times to ASU, often sees students there who were graduates of our HS. She commented that those HS grads are often in small groups w/other HS grads from our school…counselor thinks that going to a college because you have friends going there might at first sound like a good idea, but you have to be careful about not ever branching out and meeting new people.
  • Counselor also remarked that at our HS, most of the kids have been hanging out with the same classmates since 4th, 5th, or 6th grade and really haven’t ever had to meet new people/make new friends during that time…hence the strong desire to go to a college where you know somebody there already. I am secretly hoping that D24 chooses an OOS college for this reason.
  • Counselor said that D24 has really come out of her shell a lot this year, has matured a lot…said that back in 9th and 10th grade, D24 would hardly ever say anything in class, whereas now, she speaks up a lot, engages more in classroom debate, etc.
  • I told counselor about our “talk about college once a week for 15 min” method and she thought that was a great idea.
  • Counselor said that the students who are humble and don’t think they’re very remarkable often are, actually, pretty awesome…they just don’t know it yet. I thought this was very encouraging.
  • counselor said that the KEYS research internship program at U of A is REALLY competitive and hard to get into, and D24 should be proud of simply applying. I told counselor that I thought it was good practice for actual college apps. KEYS internship had only 15% of applicants make it to the semifinalist round this year.
10 Likes

The counselor sounds awesome. I wish my S24’s counselor is the same. Can I bring him over to your daughter’s school for a free session? :laughing:

3 Likes

I definitely could have used a counselor like that! My (average public HS) counselor moved from grade to grade with our class – we had him for four years. But then we got to Senior year and he hadn’t done Seniors before. So when he came into our all-Seniors History class to talk about things we needed to know for applying to college, ever so often he would look for a nod from me if he wasn’t sure about something… he knew I had been researching it all for the past three years.

1 Like

I wish all students had better access to counselors. It’s so frustrating with the counselor-to-student ratios these days!

3 Likes

D24 doesn’t know yet about the odds of getting in to U of A’s honors college. She’s going to be disappointed…for awhile, has been hoping to be roommates with a HS classmate. The U of A honors dorm rooms are super nice…the other dorms are just ok in my opinion. And pretty much the only traditional dining hall on campus at U of A is the honors dorm dining hall.

…so in my opinion from my mom perspective, I think all that will result in the school’s desirability going down.

I think that UNM will end up moving up in her emotional priority list. At the info session before the tour last week, they said that they had a lot of OOS students (I don’t remember the exact %…40%?). Almost all the dorms are in the same area of campus and campus police has a substation right there in the middle of all the dorms. And you can walk to UNM’s hospital from the dorms’ complex (a plus since she wants to do pre-health stuff).

Gonna add UAH (Univ of Alabama-Huntsville) to the list as well but I don’t think she’ll end up going there because of its distance from home. All of UAH’s dorms basically have single rooms, so you never share a bedroom with your suitemates. D24 will like that a lot, but DH will be able to convince her to go closer to home. Plus, getting to/from home is more difficult from Huntsville.

Looked up UNLV again but honestly, Las Vegas is so ugly and D24 does not like Las Vegas…and they only have a WUE scholarship which she’d be eligible for…which makes the tuition more expensive than the AZ and NM options.

Attended an online lunchtime coffee talk that the school principal did. Later in April, school is doing an all day (on a Saturday) ACT test prep class for $125. Of course, that’s a week after D24 is taking the ACT for instance #2…ACT test #1 is today (all of the 11th graders are taking it today).

1 Like

This is helpful for us to know. S24 has been talking about retaking the ACT, but I’m not sure that would be a good use of his time and energy. His score is already good enough for his likely schools, and I don’t think he could improve enough to send it to his reaches, especially if it needs to be above the 50%. Where he has room for improvement is math, which is his least favorite subject. It seems like he would be better off putting that time into his classes, or his junior counselor job this summer.

4 Likes

Wow, that sounds like a great and productive meeting. I wish the counselor we met with was half as informed as yours.

I am a little UGH at the thought that scores below 1500 should not be submitted. :worried:

2 Likes

What I have consistently heard from admissions officers is that, “scores should be submitted if they add to your overall application package.“ So, if your scores are above the 50th percentile of the school’s scores from the year before, it will definitely add to your application. There are still plenty of schools where scores lower than 1500 meet that requirement!

There could be some other situations where a score lower than the 50th percentile might add to your application, but those are probably not super common. (For instance, my kids are homeschooled, so I feel like good scores even if they are not at the 50th percentile are valuable for verifying that their grades are not bogus. If my kid has a 1400, and the 50th percentile is 1450, I am still probably going to submit his scores because I think it bolsters & verifies the rest of his application package.)

One thing that I have been noticing, and it is totally anecdotal because I don’t have extensive data and I’m not sure that anyone ever will, is that it feels like the results this year indicate that students are more likely to be deferred, waitlisted, or rejected if they did not submit test scores. I know when we talked to admission officers in the fall for my S 23 they were adamant that not having test scores would not be a negative for students, and they said things like “those students who don’t submit test scores will receive full consideration just like all other students.” However, reading through the results threads for moderately selective and selective schools, it seems like students who were test optional were more likely to not get admission, even when they have the same GPA/rigor profile as students who did submit to test scores.

I guess one way we might be able to get this information is by looking at the CDS for this year‘s admissions, but that won’t come out for at least 12 months for most schools. The CDS tells what percentage of the students in the freshman class (so only those who actually chose to attend, not all those who are admitted) did submit SAT scores. If that number is above 50%, or has gone up from the year before, I think that could be an indication that schools are relying on SAT scores and give a bit of a boost to an application that has them.

I know admissions officers want to at least say that test optional doesn’t matter because it gets more applications in their hands, and that not only looks good for them, but gives them more options on who they admit. If there is a student who for whatever reason they really want to admit (they really need a piccolo playing student who will join the club volleyball team!), they would rather not have to justify that acceptance if the student has an SAT score 200 points below the class average. If the student is TO it makes it easier for them.

Anyway, my point is that if your child has a “good“ SAT score, it might be best for them to submit it even if they’re not above the 50th percentile but are close. Is an admissions officer really going to say, the student is 10 points below our 50th percentile, so they are completely the same as another student who did not submit test scores? I guess maybe, Northeastern has implied that that is the case for them. But I can’t help but think that admissions officers assume somebody who doesn’t submit test scores has on average significantly lower test scores than the average. If the school’s 50th percentile is 1450 and you have a 1200, test optional seems to make sense. If you have a 1440 I would think you would want to submit it unless you hear something specifically to the contrary.

7 Likes

I was speaking with a college admissions person in an airport and they admitted that test optional does carry a negative implication — even for schools who absolutely try to avoid. This person told me it’s just human nature that if you have a great application but no score reported you naturally question validity of other academic elements on application. He also said also that some application readers are turned off by students who seem to avoid SAT/ACT stress and preparation activities. He was honest that some question the true commitment of the student. As an example, he pointed to all the increased applications to top schools who allow test optional and said students who know they don’t fit traditional academic achievement models are trying to slide in to a school they previously would not have applied.

2 Likes

Back in my day (not too long after the Pleistocene :wink:), one just showed up for the tests and took them cold (PSAT/ACT/SAT). Granted, Kaplan and Princeton Review did have some books and in-person courses, but that was for those who were either forced to do it by their parents or were needing to sufficiently raise their score on the low end (i.e. may have been trying to meet the threshold to attend the state flagship or reach a scholarship threshold). But since there was a lot less transparency about thresholds for a scholarship, most people I knew just went with whatever their score was. There wasn’t the striving for the highest possible score to get into a highly rejective college.

The fact that an admissions officer would question why a student doesn’t want to be doing extensive prep for a test is a bit unsettling to me. Of course, my kid would have a test score, whether it was a 16, 26, or 36 ACT score. Only with the 16 would we probably go test optional. The other scores would just be indicators as to the college list DC should apply to.

5 Likes

I’m curious what kind of school that admissions person worked at. I would not want my kids at a college where their academic achievements are called into question because they choose not to submit scores. Our public high school is in the top 50 in NY State. The colleges on S24’s list will be familiar with the type of school and the level of rigor. I don’t see why they would ignore his record of four years of learning for any reason.

I also don’t think the parents on this thread have students who “are trying to slide into” top schools where they (apparently) don’t belong. I disagree with the idea that “students who know they don’t fit traditional academic achievement models” are somehow trying to deceive by not submitting scores. If traditional academic achievement must include high scores on one marathon standardized test, then @#$ traditional academic achievement.

S24 knows that he doesn’t learn in standardized, textbook ways due to dyslexia. He’s figured out how to succeed anyway in a sea of neurotypical overachievers and excellent rote memorizers. If I were an admissions officer, I would figure that his determination, curiosity, and willingness to reach out for help will serve him very well in college.

About half of S24’s college list went test optional in the 1990s. His favorite school went test optional in 2010, and fewer than 20% of applicants submitted standardized test scores last year. Their acceptance rate is near 40%, so about half of their accepted students did not submit scores. At his second favorite school, only 26% of enrolled students submitted a score last year. I think this is fairly typical for the colleges targeted by families on this thread.

6 Likes

A table of colleges that went test optional, from 1970 to 2016: