Parents of new Aggies - changes in information distribution- why you might care

Due to new laws passed in Texas, new student contact information is no longer going to be distributed to affiliated groups - like Aggie Mom’s Clubs. These clubs normally hold howdy welcomes in the summer for local Aggies to meet other local Aggies & their parents. Many also have scholarship opportunities & are a wealth of information regarding the school, traditions, finances, housing, student opportunities, internships,finding rides, job fairs, etc. You now must opt-in for your student’s contact information to be shared with these groups and others. Aggie Mom groups are available by county in Texas, and also in various other states as well as adopt-a-mom program if your area does not have a group. You may want to be involved in your local group or not, however you will no longer be contacted by them unless your student selects “opt-in”.

There is an Aggie Mom information session at NSC, but your local group may hold their welcome before your NSC is scheduled. Every group operates differently - some are huge fundraisers, some are not. Most clubs meet once a month & are a great source of information for parents for the little things like when do I make hotel reservations? How do I get football tickets? What are the tailgate rules? What’s a ring dunk? How do I get to/from the airport? What is a finals package? How does the Corps work? What are some local scholarships that my student can apply for? Do parents go to —? Where can I get —? Who are the local Aggies who might be able to help with an internship/job? etc. etc. etc…

Thanks for the info. Where and how does one opt-in?

Found this for the Dallas area Moms. http://dallasaggiemoms.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/DCAM_Membership_Form_15-16.pdf

Here’s a link for Tarrant County
https://fwtcaggiemoms.aggienetwork.com/about-us/

My understanding is that you opt-in on the howdy page. Opting in will allow the university to give out your contact information - there are often also alumni groups that also have scholarships available to students as well as Aggie Moms groups.