Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Oh there was another reason I was going to post here! Oh I am ADD today.</p>

<p>I got accepted into the Jumpstart program at Ithaca which is a three-day retreat before classes start. It helps you to get to know freshmen and people who have similar interests. The one I am doing is the Community Plunge which is community service related. But it moves my move-in date to August 19th :eek::eek:</p>

<p>Must stay :cool:</p>

<p>mdemvizi, thatā€™s 4 weeks from today! I know because itā€™s also Sonā€™s move in. ::GULP::</p>

<p>Not helping the situation at all, DougBetsy. I leave tonight until Sunday for Kentucky. I go from next Wednesday to that Monday to FL and this its like the second week of August :eek:</p>

<p>mdemvizi: Congrats and WOW! Only 4 weeks! It sounds like a wonderful experience and Iā€™ll bet you will feel at home in no time. :)</p>

<p>parent56: Nice news about your DS at McGill today! And re: his newest couch statusā€¦he needs the restā€¦It sounds like heā€™s going to have a very busy and successful future. :)</p>

<p>Lilmom: Re: my ā€œnewā€ Macā€¦I would much prefer to have my PC. Iā€™m the only one in the house that doesnā€™t use MACā€¦My H (a technology guru) says ā€œItā€™s time!ā€ </p>

<p>Austinmt: Also echoing awe at all you have done. And yes, your talented D sounds quite ready! Sending my best ā€œBreak a Legā€ wishes for Cabaret opening night. :)</p>

<p>Hang in there DB! {{{HUGS}}} And Ditto to you, mdemvizi!</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>Good morning. Thank you all for caring. It has been a tough week. My sisterā€™s daughter has been a part of everything. She is only 15 years old, but she grew up this week! She went to the funeral home, to the florist, even to the cemetary to pick out the plot. She said she wanted to make sure it was beautiful for Mommy. I have done all that and took my sisters clothes to the funeral home. My mom and I picked them out. My mom is falling apart. Last night my niece and I picked out some of her momā€™s earrings for us to wear. She is also wearing her charm bracelet. So sweet. I am making sure everyone has a tie and a clean shirt and that we all get there of time. The viewing is tonight and the funeral tomorrow morning. My niece, mother and BIL asked me to give the eulogy- so that is now written. The church calls it Words of Remembrance. They asked that I keep it to 3 minutes. Yeah- I can sum up her 48 years in 3 minutes. But you go ahead and take the other 57 for mass. Will the Oscar music start if I go over? I might talk slowly just to see. I am a rebel!</p>

<p>sewemma, continuing thoughts and prayers for you and your family as you go through this most difficult time. As for your eulogy, I say ā€œgo for it!ā€ I donā€™t think youā€™ll hear any ā€œOscar musicā€ :wink: if you go for 5-6 minutes or whatever it takes! The church goā€™ers will want to hear what you have to say.</p>

<p>sewemma - my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. Your 15 year old neice is a gem! I think the eulogy should be as long as you need it to be. Donā€™t worry about a time limit, just speak from your heart.</p>

<p>Thanks for all of the recaps austinmtmom and ā€œbreak a legā€ to your D for opening night. I love Cabaret!</p>

<p>My D has really cleaned out her room well. Now we just need to pick the date for the yard sale! The first tuition payment has been made, D is working on her summer reading and we have made some progress with the dorm room shopping. 38 days until move in!</p>

<p>Sewemma, your niece is so fortunate to have you with her. Writing that eulogy must have been so difficult, I hope it helps you to be able to share it with those who loved your sister and have gathered with you today to tell her goodbye.</p>

<p>sewemma: Also continuing my thoughts and prayers for your family through this difficult time. I agree that you take as I long as you need! Iā€™m sure your words of love will help all feel your sisterā€™s spirit and love that will be shining on you all. Sending a special prayer for her dear daughter.</p>

<p>sewemma, thinking about you today. Reading your post brought back memories of my momā€™s passing. At the time, we were on autopilot while making the arrangements. Please remember to rest!</p>

<p>Quick textbook question:</p>

<p>Is the ISBN specific to the book, including the edition and such? So if you have the ISBN are you guaranteed to have the right book?</p>

<p>God bless you and your family during this time of sorrow. Youā€™re in my thoughts and prayers.</p>

<p>sewemmaā€¦ thoughts are with youā€¦ it should take as long as it takes!!</p>

<p>sewemma, I hope everything goes well. 3 minutes does sound awfully short for a eulogy. My dad gave a much longer one for my grandfather a few months ago. I wouldnā€™t pay attention to the limit!</p>

<p>Iā€™m pretty sure the ISBN correlates to the exact book. It has always worked for me when looking up textbooks on Amazon, etc (knock on wood that that continues!).</p>

<p>sewemma - Thinking of you during this difficult time. It does sound like your niece is really a wonderful young woman. I love that you all chose some of your sisterā€™s earrings to wear. Your words about your dear sister will be some of the most meaningful spoken at the funeral - so take the time you need.</p>

<p>ZM, just checked with Sā€™07, who uses Half.com whenever possible to buy textbooks. He says the ISBN number is specific to the edition.</p>

<p>zooser: Also echoing that ISBN is specific to exact edition, etc.</p>

<p>sewemma, Iā€™d take the 3 minutes under advisement and then do what you need to do, especially if you are the main presenter. The church shouldnā€™t make things so tight on time that you canā€™t do right by your sister!</p>

<p>I finally put together the master ā€œgoing away to collegeā€ to do list. I know once H gets into the mode of the new school year at USC in late August, heā€™ll be of less help. The list parcels out the tasks by person, some of them by necessity joint items. Even with items that Iā€™m taking on for convenience (like booking the rental car), Iā€™m going to sit down with S so he can get an idea of how itā€™s done, so he can do same the next time.</p>

<p>I dunno, its seems to add (for me) a bit of stress having a late leaver to college because I think itā€™s lulling S and H into a sense of complacency regarding things that need to get done. Sigh.</p>