Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Morning all - Happy Friday! i am enjoying all the “good” kid and grandparent stories.</p>

<p>mommusic - Thanks for the cartoon! So true.</p>

<p>Laf - I vote for the whale watch.</p>

<p>GSharp - Best of luck as you start this next chapter in your life. </p>

<p>My mom lives less than 2 miles from us and has been an integral part of my D’s life for 18 years. We could not have let my D attend the great half day charter school if my mom had not volunteered to pick her up at school every day at noon. She has lived with us a couple of times so she and D are very close. My H’s parents are divorced and he isn’t super close to either so we don’t spend as much time with them but D has a good relationship with both. And H’s grandmother is a still going strong at 100.</p>

<p>D was so sweet last night. I picked her up from her show and she told me that she is starting to worry (again) about being far away from me. We talked about how we will stay in touch and see each mother more often than she thinks. She told me she didn’t think it was fair that I get to live in the same town as my mom and she won’t :frowning: In the end it was all good as we talked about there being many, many options for all of us after college.</p>

<p>Hope everyone has a great day and a relaxing weekend.</p>

<p>On the grandparents front: My mom is the only one still living. She’s in her 80’s and is still totally with it, but has trouble walking. She has always made an effort to visit regularly as she does not live nearby - so the kids know her and love her (and are welcome at her place in Florida during Carleton’s long break between Thanksgiving and New Years). She is still trying to fit in a visit in the next month.</p>

<p>My dad died when my kids were very young; I don’t think they remember him. My in-laws died not too long after (two months apart - very sad days). They lived closer by and LOVED children (14 grands for them, D and S were #12 and #14). But I think only D has real memories of Nana; I think S’s are mostly stories.</p>

<p>On yesterday’s assignment, somehow I think it gave me exam anxiety - I can normally wax eloquent about my children’s wonderful traits and actions, but I have drawn a blank in the last day. I will share when it comes to me.</p>

<p>Gsharp - I can certainly appreciate the bittersweet nature of your day/week. Best of luck to you as you find your next adventure.</p>

<p>Gsharp, so many changes at once - your job, empty nest, etc. What an emotional time (even for a male - just kidding!).</p>

<p>Is your DW employed? Would moving 2 hours away impact her job?</p>

<p>H and I have recently discussed this very thing - possibly moving while the kids are in college. H has been with the same company for 25 years, for the last 3 he’s worked from home. He’s one of the finalists for a position that would be a “step up” for him, and he has been told he could continue working from home, here, if he gets the position. However, his boss would be in Charlotte. We live in Mass. D will be going to Elon, and all my relatives including my widowed father live in the Carolinas. I am not happy with my current (part time) job and am looking for a new one, so moving wouldn’t be hard for me employment-wise.</p>

<p>The main thing that holds me back is that our kids grew up here. Their entire childhoods were here, although our nearest relatives are 200 miles away (H’s family is in NJ). If we move away, the kids will have no real ties to the area where they spent their entire childhood. This exact same thing happened to me - my parents were from SC, but Dad’s job moved us to NJ when I was a baby. My parents stayed in NJ until Dad retired, then returned to SC. My husband’s family lives in NJ but they’re about 30 miles from where I grew up. So for the past 10 years I’ve no ties to the town I grew up in, and other than FB and a couple Christmas cards, I’ve pretty much lost contact with all my childhood and teenage friends. It’s not the biggest tragedy in life, but it leaves one feeling kind of un-anchored, and not exactly sure where I belong. On my FB, I left “hometown” blank because I’m not really sure where that is - here? where I grew up? where my relatives all live?</p>

<p>As for how the kids would handle a move, we didn’t really ask them because it probably won’t happen. But I did mention the possibility to D, and she didn’t seem upset at all - although she told me her boyfriend would be really upset. S will be graduating in the spring from his college in PA, and has no idea what he will be doing after that or where, although he has said he would like to return home and work in the Boston area. </p>

<p>But my advice to you is the same thing I’ve been trying to tell myself: we’ve lived the last 21 years doing what was best for our kids. They’re pretty much grown now, and H and I need to make decisions about our future based on what’s best for US. The kids are making their own decisions about their own futures. We shouldn’t sacrifice what will make us happy for the second half of our lives based on what we think might make our kids happy - because our kids might move across the country and then where would we be?</p>

<p>GSharp - Focus on the positive - more time w/DW and less time on the road! I truly believe in the old adage, “one door closes, another one opens”. H was disappointed a few years ago when he wasn’t selected for a job at a local cc. Then, 4 months later, he was recruited for another one and is very happy there. What a blessing because the cc job was eliminated due to budget cuts! As for moving while your kids are in college, talk to them about it. They may be more supportive than you think. We may be planning a move ourselves in two years when we’ll have two in college. But we planned to stay put until the kids left. They know that their dad has job opportunities that he’s been putting on hold for them. Being a Navy brat, I’m used to change. Good luck!</p>

<p>p56 - good luck to your S. I was in the same boat - that’s what brought me to cc :slight_smile: My S was very similar. He was a late bloomer and needed to be force bloomed (just kidding). I can sit back and breathe now that he’s out of HS and going to the college. And more importantly, he’s excited about it. I hope ROTC works out!</p>

<p>t-c - I’m sure your mom meant well, but buying things “for” you without asking for your input sounds like more evidence that your parents (who you’ve told us are over-protective) don’t realize you’re growing up - or they don’t want to admit it to themselves. The last time I bought school stuff for D without her having a say in what I bought was probably 5th grade! Why would your mom think she knew better than you what you would want/need in your dorm? I give D advice, because I lived in a dorm and have dealt with her brother & his dorm rooms for 3 years. But in the end, D’s the one who has to live with the stuff she brings to college, so if she says she doesn’t need something we don’t buy it (and if she changes her mind after she gets to college, she can buy it with her own money :rolleyes:). </p>

<p>Can you and your mom figure out a time that would be good for the two of you to go shopping together?</p>

<p>(of course, none of the above applies to parents of boys who could care less what their room will look like and who believe themselves to be allergic to shopping malls, haha).</p>

<p>GSharp: Echoing best wishes for the next part of your journey. Thank you for sharing.</p>

<p>p56: Somehow I missed your post about your younger S. I don’t know anything about jrotc, though it sounds like a good option. Wishing him all the best as he finds his way.</p>

<p>Thanx to everyone for their support. Just had a call from my friend who owns the consulting company and he wants me to come to work for him at more $ than I am currently making and I could literally start working for him Monday. The “down” side right now is that he has multiple projects on which he wants me to work. We would have to convince the clients (some of whom asked for me specifically) to let me split my time, so I will be a VERY busy man for a while. The other “down” side is that it is closer to that darn ballroom dancing place. :)</p>

<p>lafalum84 - DW started a new job the beginning of July and it is in the same direction as where I would probably go. If we found someplace 1/2 between, we’d only have about 1/2 hour commute each! I am hesitant for the same reasons as you. The only place that my kids have known is the area where we live now. We really have no other ties to the area anymore. But, once D1 saw “the city” she never looked back. I highly doubt that D2 will keep her ties to the area. I agree that it is time to do what is best for US.</p>

<p>GSharp - Best of luck with the next phase of your career.</p>

<p>p56 - Although Son will attend Wake on an ROTC scholarship, I’m afraid we don’t have any experience with JROTC in HS. I’m sorry about that. However, like the others, I can vouch for the respect, integrity and mental focus one cultivates in martial arts. Both my kids studied it for 10 years and their behavior seems to reflect the attitudes you’re hoping to shape in your son. Good luck! :)</p>

<p>Wow, G#, that was a quick resolution! :wink: And here I was thoughtfully weighing all the pros and cons, reading and re-reading all the posts, and about to give some sage counsel…:smiley:
LOL-never mind! Seriously, best of luck to you as you begin your next adventure. Do let us know how you decide to handle your commute.</p>

<p>ETA-GSharp-thanks again for the copious notes you posted in our previous thread re: pros and cons and necessities when purchasing a computer. I copied and pasted them and forwarded them along to my DS#2 who is about to spring for his own laptop using his summer earnings.</p>

<p>DB - That reminded me, GOOD LUCK with your job search.</p>

<p>parent56,
My niece is a HS Class of '10 and did four years of JROTC. She joined the National Guard during senior year and is currently off at basic training, to be followed by AIT. She comes home in January and will start in college, where she will major in music education and Spanish, and be in ROTC. She does her Guard weekends and two weeks in the summer, and as long as she is in school, she will not be called overseas with her unit.</p>

<p>She LOVED JROTC and agonized over whether to join the military or do the music degree. She has found a way to do both and we are really proud of her.</p>

<p>The JROTC folks will help enforce academic performance!</p>

<p> :sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny:
Trying to catch up again… </p>

<p>CheckersMidwest and parent56 - To make the heart on a PC, type Alt and 3 on the right-side number keys. On a Mac, go to the top tool bar, press Edit and then go to Special Characters. Everything I know I learned from the talented people here on CC.</p>

<p>Welcome, psychmomma! Congratulations to you and your son. We’re ‘here’ when you need us. Change is challenging, but you will adjust. (Daughter was 1100 miles away for four years…)</p>

<p>Welcome, TWINMAMA. Double congratulations to you and your daughters. One of our daughter’s best friends from high school attended Hamilton and loved it! Wishing you the best, and know that we are ‘here’ when you need to vent, etc. {{HUGS}}</p>

<p>vballmom - :heart: </p>

<p>Lafalum84 - {{HUGS}} I vote for the whale watch. We went on one out of Provincetown a few years ago. It was AMAZING! </p>

<p>teenage_cliche - Thanks for sharing. I loved that! Of course, I could read every word. Our daughter still has a full bulletin board in her bedroom. I just went for a stroll down memory lane…</p>

<p>robinsuesanders - I’m hoping your son gets the perfect roommate. Lucky for him my son is not in the pool. He likes video games and sports.</p>

<p>

This is why you’ve been called a p*sser. You are so funny! Wishing you all the best with your employment decisions. Your dear wife will be happy to have you home more. Keep us posted.</p>

<p>CaliforniaDancer - A beautiful new laptop bag for your beautiful new computer… :cool:! Those North Face backpacks are nice!</p>

<p>mommusic - Nice that your dear son could fix his computer problem! :)</p>

<p>Welcome, ReturntheFava. Congratulations to you and your son!</p>

<p>DougBetsy - I hope your hearing test went well. Unfortunately, for my students, I have superwoman hearing… and eyes in the back of my head. Fingers crossed re: the new job.</p>

<p>kindredspirit - Your daughter’s camp sounds like a lot of fun. And those lucky kids must adore her. Wishing you a wonderful adventure at BB&B. Hope you are :cool: at the end of the trip. I hope your husband is home from Starbucks soon. Maybe he ran into someone… that’s the story my husband tells me. And the story about your dad’s smile and your son’s smile - priceless. Pass the Kleenex, please.</p>

<p>jackief - That $2100+ insurance sounds really high! I think our son’s was around $800, which we waived. </p>

<p>12rmh18 - {{HUGS}} Hoping the roommate and registration issues resolve quickly. </p>

<p>PAVenturer - LOL re: the spouse. :)</p>

<p>2education - :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :)</p>

<p>anothercrazymom - Just wow!</p>

<p>jc40 - {{HUGS}}</p>

<p>PAO2008 - {{HUGS}} Stay :cool: and enjoy the event on Sunday. I am hoping your day off with your friend brings you lots of smiles and laughter. If there is anyone deserving of a light and bright day, it is you. I could have written the sweet entry about your dad. I adored mine, but lost him when I was 16. I often ask myself, “What would dad do right now?”</p>

<p>{{HUGS}} to you, parent56. I know nothing about Jr. ROTC, but I already like the colonel. Wishing your son a wonderful year. After two years of deferred loans for our daughter, she is paying again (using her med school loans…) and obviously she didn’t talk to her dad… and they have both been making payments. Too funny. When she was surprised that he hadn’t told her, I said, “Welcome to my life.” She will be in debt, but we know that she will be able to repay, and we will be happy to do what we can to help.</p>

<p>FindAPlace - Have a safe and fun trip. :)</p>

<p>

I’m waiting! And waving to you, too. ~~~~</p>

<p>austinmtmom - {{HUGS}} and know that your daughter will have some ‘moments’ when she is away, but she will do well. She is amazing, as are you! Look for And One More Thing Before You Go… by Maria Schriver. I sent it to our daughter, with personal notes added, her sophomore year of college. She loved it.</p>

<p>Youdon’tsay - Thanks for the good idea. I have loved reading all your great ‘entries’. Our son called his grandmother before he left for camp. He didn’t tell me, she did. She is 86 and loves to have attention from her grandchildren. When he saw his second grade teacher recently, he hugged her, told her how nice it was to see her, and then bent way over so she could ruffle his hair. She loved doing that when he was a little guy and he remembered. Our daughter is almost always delightful. She is her little brother’s biggest fan and gives him lots of good advice. When I was looking for the book to tell austinmtmom about, I found many shoeboxes in her closet. They’re filled with pictures and cards. I believe she saved every single card and note I sent her while she was in college. I didn’t know that.</p>

<p>About grandparents - My parents were older parents and I lost my only grandmother when I was in college. It was very sad. She was an awesome woman and my fondest memories are riding in her 1964 Buick and telling her to GO FAST! (and she did) and pushing the inner tubes (the big black ones you would get from road construction vehicles) way out in the lake and then riding the waves in with her. I hope someday that my grandchildren adore me as much as we adored her.</p>

<p>Staying :cool: :cool:!</p>

<p>OMG - My company allowed me to update my browser yesterday, and now I can see the sunshine, BT!!</p>

<p>LOL, aliceinw! I needed that sunshine today. It’s 68 and raining in MN. :(</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’d say that’s a certainty! :heart::heart: What lucky kids. :)</p>

<p>And thanks for the fab recap!</p>

<p>ETA: And hope the sun comes out! I don’t want rain around here in a couple of days! ;)</p>

<p>thanks for the comments on jrotc/karate etc. we are really hoping something will kick in soon. basically not sure what else to try… </p>

<p>we tried sylvan…identified he is missing basic skills in most subject from a grade 3 level, was progressing through but became really frustrated that nothing was changing with what he was doing from day to day at school… ie doing online grade 3 work doesnt help with algebra 1…then we had problems with it online so that got dropped</p>

<p>tried a homework tutor…he just lied and said he had no assignments etc, forgot to take the books with him</p>

<p>did summer school for 3rd attempt at algebra 1…he passed BUT,when he told us he didnt understand one part, we asked the teacher about it and her response… oh when i see they are struggling i reset their progress on the computer so they can move to the next unit!! WTH!!!</p>

<p>his writing in unreadable, his spelling atrocious, No he doesnt have any learning disorders, we have had him tested… it simply comes down to what i said previously… despite failing tests and not doing work the school continued to pass him each year. He says he doesnt care what grade he gets, but i think he does in one way, but the flip side is that he will do no work to help himself. this is then compounded by my H and I see the situation differently… H thinks it better to let him do the things he enjoys, while i think the things he enjoys should be the reward for doing the things he has to do.</p>

<p>reading what i have about jrotc, i am hoping he can do well, and begin to develop some sense of responsibility for his actions ( right now, everything is someone elses fault, the rules are stupid, why should i, i’m not going to, etc etc) Somehow i dont think the colonel will accept under-performing. and maybe when he sees that his actions do affect the results , we can move on.</p>

<p>just after i posted this, son came upstairs and i showed him some pics from the school rotc page, they have a big rock climbing wall…thought that would make him happy… after a snide comment i asked what it was he hated about rotc…“that colonel scares the h out of me” YEAH!!!</p>

<p>GSharp…I would agree with the old adage “When one door closes…” This morning’s phone call sounds to me like evidence of that. I’m fairly religious and always use prayer during stressful or serious times. My DH went through a similar employment change around 10 years ago. After flying in the AF as a fighter pilot, he went commercial. With the volatility of the industry, we knew his job with AA was hanging by a thread, so he bailed and is now in the corporate world. His current employment allows him the flexibility he never had before with AA. He can now pick up our younger S from school and the two of them do EVERYTHING together. I feel God orchestrated it all to benefit our family. Furthermore, I was SO worried about how everything was going to work out. I’m a complete OCD control freak and I had zero control. It brought me closer to God because I had to have faith he would provide. He taught me to realize I’m never in control – that’s his job. Okay, enough with the religious overtones. I’m hopeful I didn’t offend any of you who might hold different viewpoints; I simply wanted to share. It sounds, though, like all these things are lining up for you for a reason. :)</p>

<p>Lafalum…I think moving to the Carolinas sounds like a fabulous idea! You’d be closer to your kid and family, have job security, etc. MA has too many toll roads and taxes anyway! :slight_smile: (DH is from there and we still get back periodically. He’s never regretted moving. In fact his parents did as well and they’re now 5 mins. away!) </p>

<p>T<em>C…I thought about running out and just getting a black iron curtain rod for D’s room without her. I thought rods are rods and she won’t care. Then I began thinking about the variety if finials and decided to wait until she can come with me and select it herself. I wouldn’t be too hard on your mom, though. She really thought she was doing you a favor, I’m sure, and it probably never occurred to her to wait until y’all could go together. A lot of parents who have kids starting college, T</em>C, are looking back and reflecting on what a great time they had. Seeing their children become adults makes them realize how fast that clock has spun by and how…hum…for lack of a better word “old” they’re getting. I think many, including myself at times, are recognizing their inevitable mortality. Getting excited about purchasing dorm stuff maybe makes them (um…us) feel young again. It’s these milestones that cause us this sudden awareness. I’d simply tell your mom you’d really like to spend quality time with her because you’ll be leaving soon. Maybe a M/D lunch will be followed by a shopping spree. Good luck!</p>

<p>Okay…I’m realizing it’s not even noon on a Friday and I’ve turned our casual, upbeat board into something too deep. Sorry, and no, I haven’t been drinking. Perhaps, however, I should :slight_smile: ACM…what do you have planned for Friday’s cocktail hour? ;)</p>

<p>GSharp, terrific, thoughtful post. My H is self employed (he owns a manufacturing company) so we’ve never had to contemplate moving, but NJ is truly taxation hell and in many ways it would make sense to move somewhere like Va. I don’t want to go! I have a very nice social life in NJ! I would miss my friends so much. He recently moved to a much larger facility so we are staying put for awhile, he also is starting a new co. which will be based in NJ with ties to England. Travel good, moving bad(for me).</p>

<p>Grandparents: When S was born all 4 of his great grandmas were alive. We have a nice photo of him with all of them, they have since all passed. My mom’s mom doted on him, she used to want me to harness him into his carriage because “he is so beautiful, someone will steal him” unfortunately she would say that in front of the cousins and my sister and only suggest he needed harnessing!
My mom is turning 70 in a few weeks, and my dad is 71. We have a complicated relationship. My mom is very self absorbed, misery is a contest she needs to win. Dad had a major stroke 9 years ago and is disabled and she insists on being his main caregiver while castigating my sisters and I for not doing enough. They do however think S walks on water, he is amazing with my dad. He has helped my dad in some awkward, potentially humiliating situations and never said a word about it.
H’s parents had one grandchild for 10 years, yep my S( they now have 4 more). My FIL especially adores S. Anyone see a theme here? S has been treated like the second coming since he was a slightly early 11.1 lb newborn, yes you read that right over 11 pounds! 2 weeks early! He was born a year after our first son died of complications of prematurity. So he was greeted like Jesus. He takes all the adulation in stride and makes an effort to speak to and see his GP’s regularly. He golfs with H’s dad, can sit and talk with my dad for hours and my dad’s speech is pretty bad.</p>

<p>Wow, I even found some nice things to say about S!</p>

<p>BT - :heart::heart:</p>

<p>parent56 - Just sending you HUGS.</p>

<p>jc40 - Sometimes deep is good too. But maybe I will also find out what the cocktail du jour is…</p>

<p>Oh! I forgot…Parent56…I think the jrotc is a FABULOUS idea!!! I taught in an inner-city school for a few years that offered it. My students who participated had a social maturity and confidence that I admired. They received a great deal of pride and self-satsfaction. In short it’s a very rewarding EC that teaches boys to become men. I don’t believe it can help on the academic front unless your son’s academic problems stem from poor behavior or lack of motivation. I remember the days they would come dressed in their uniforms brought such smiles to their faces. Many of these kids got a “family” from jrotc that they didn’t have at home. I’m biased because I’m really pro-military, but it sounds like you may be onto something. Best of luck!</p>