Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>No boy piggishness to deal with?</p>

<p>psychmom, bummer, if she is bummed. I’d point out the positives – no coed bathrooms so cleaner floors. :slight_smile: And I’m assuming a single-sex dorm doesn’t mean that no boys are allowed ever. Also, I’d think it would really foster a sense of camaraderie among the girls there. And, she can always change next year, right?</p>

<p>psychmom, I just read your post - I live in the only all girls’ dorm at my school too! It also happens to be the nicest dorm on campus - renovated, hardwood floors, high ceilings. As long as her school is co-ed (which I’m assuming it is) she should be fine. Whenever a boy comes into my dorm, we are all on high alert, ha ha! You develop a good eye for spotting boys. ; )</p>

<p>psychmom,
Being fairly familiar with your D’s college (My DH was in the first group of men they admitted ;)) I would say that so many of the dorms are near each other that it isn’t going to make a big day-to-day difference if there are only women in her dorm. It’s not like they’re out in the boondocks, far away from the other dorms. The bathrooms will be more pleasant, certainly, as the other dorms have co-ed bathrooms, I do believe. I think the dorm will just generally be cleaner and a more pleasant living environment.</p>

<p>thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!:heart::heart::heart:
You all are totally awesome.</p>

<p>ZM - well, My D called and was really excited and kind of talking fast and the girl told her to hold on and made a comment (supposedly to someone else in the room) that my D sounded crazy (or something like that). Then my D sent an email last week and asked if the roommate wanted to coordinate what they bring to the dorm room and the roommate hasn’t responded. My D is not very social and doesn’t party and on this girls facebook she and her friends talk about how they go clubbing and get wasted. </p>

<p>So she just feels a little unsure, but is determined to stay positive and says that they don’t have to be friends to be roommates. Hopefully once they meet in person it will be better.</p>

<p>psychmom: I agree about focusing on the positive (e.g. the probably cleaner bathrooms, sense of camraderie (a la YDS). Also, if dorms are closely situated, she’s still part of the integrated campus experience with plenty of opportunities in other “natural” settings (e.g. dining hall) to interact with guys. I would recognize her frustration if she shares it, though support the positive aspects. All part of the learning experience of (college) life. She may even have the best of “both worlds.”…She’ll be fine with your continued faith and support.</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>ETA: Missemily: I think your D has a good attitude re: the roommate situation, though I understand her uncertainty after the initial interaction. All the best to her.</p>

<p>{{{psychmom busily taking notes here}}}</p>

<p>^psychmom: You don’t need to take notes…just cut and paste into a word document and print it out. :wink: You have enough to do. :heart::heart:</p>

<p>missem, that would be bothersome. While you hope your roommate becomes your BFF, in reality you only have to co-exist for one year. I hope first impressions are wrong in this case. (((HUGS)))</p>

<p>This reminds me to cyberstalk ds’s roommate when we find out who it is, lol!</p>

<p>I would like to also add that I made wonderful friends in college! My sister and I went to the same school- a woman’s college- and she was one of 5 suitemates. They are all in different states, but manage to get together and call all the time. One of them is sitting on her bed in her hospital room right now. So any worries that one might have about the actual “first” roommate, know that it is just a precurser to your son/daughter’s best friends for life!</p>

<p>LOL YDS - My D has friended/been friended by 3 of her 5 suite mates and we have “stalked” them just to get an idea of personality/likes/dislikes/etc. She hasn’t found anything to be scared of yet so hopefully it will all be good! She has been delighted to find out some people she knows though are not among those nearby :slight_smile: She rolled her eyes over the girls at orientation who were HS friends coming in talking about how they always held each other’s hair when they threw up while drinking - D is very much hoping they are no where near her suite but she knows many are not nearly as anti-drinking as she is so she’s going into it all with a good-natured outlook and being optimistic!</p>

<p>

I don’t blame her for being unsure. Maybe the roommate was anxious, too, and showed it differently. I think it’s hugely important for them to remember that a random roommate doesn’t have to be their best friend for things to work out. Most people choose their own friends anyway. Tell her to hang in there.</p>

<p>Well said, zooser! I think the BFF thing is way overrated regarding roommates. It can be great, though can also interfere with forging ahead with other relationships at times. Going in with an optimistic attitude is key about making it work. It helps in discovering that “big 'ole world” out there.</p>

<p>sewemma, that doctor’s office is being ridiculous. If it weren’t so inconvenient I’d take my business elsewhere. You might tell the doctor how unhelpful is staff is being. My doctor was shocked that my husband left the practice because the women at the front desk were so rude. Actually they are still pretty unpleasant, but I like the doctor, and I think dh’s doctor is weird. My son decided he was sick of the pediatrician and has switched to my doctor. He had the physical no problem, but they said it will take a week to ten days to fill out the two pieces of paper the college needs. If it really takes ten days, we’ll be late getting them in.</p>

<p> :sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny: </p>

<p>sewemma - I’m continuing to keep your sister and you in my prayers. {{HUGS}}</p>

<p>

LOL! Now that’s something our son could enter… I can’t believe those dorm pictures. BTW, I did love teaching kindergarten, but the year I had 55 students, 27 AM and 28 PM, was the year I decided I might want to change grade levels. :)</p>

<p>Hi astromom. Have a great trip. Stay safe and enjoy.</p>

<p>DougBetsy - Wishing you a wonderful vacation. It sounds like a special family time. </p>

<p>psychmom - :heart::heart: You are so right. Summer has always been my time to catch up - with my kids, with my reading, with my friends. I’m hoping you enjoy the World Cup games this weekend. We’ll be watching. I think after the idea of the all girls dorm settles, your daughter may actually like the idea. No messy boys? I don’t know… I think our daughter would have liked that. Let us know how it’s going. {{HUGS}} Great advice from the peeps here!</p>

<p>momof3sons - Sending good wishes to all three sons, but especially son#3. Yikes!</p>

<p>kindredspirit - Glad it is a little cooler today. Whew! I hope you daughter survives that bus ride. Yikes! We do not have ‘sillybands’ at school yet (?) but they look like fun. It looks like something for the ‘treasure box’ next year. Thanks for the tip. I will order some.</p>

<p>Welcome, artloversplus! Thanks for introducing yourself.</p>

<p>Sending more congratulations for great AP test scores. :cool:</p>

<p>Youdon’tsay - We do not have passwords for our son’s laptop, etc. </p>

<p>zoosermom - Your daughter will do great with her roommate. Just wait!</p>

<p>

Our daughter always told us her grades. We will need to talk about this with our son. </p>

<p>Re: the physicals… Our son had a complete physical last August. That is good enough, I hope. He has had the same doctor his whole life. He goes in alone, but Dr. still calls me in at the end for a quick visit/recap. I guess that’s over now that he is 18. Most things, like allergy meds, Epi-Pens, etc. are just taken care of with a phone call to the nurse. This doctor and clinic have been amazing, and I think our son will stick with them through college. Last August there were several college-aged kids there, so he didn’t feel out of place. :)</p>

<p>MissEmily516 - Re: the partying roommate… One of our daughter’s freshman roommates partied herself right out of the pre-med track. Darn! :wink: Our daughter made wonderful future roommates and life-long friends on her floor. Our son was requested as a roommate (?through some site?) and decided to go with the random assignment. He is okay with not being best friends with a roommate. </p>

<p>Staying :cool: :cool:! Off to a baseball game. :)</p>

<p>BT, ds’s college requires a physical in the previous 12 months if you’re not an athlete. And if you didn’t have one by the start of winter term, you can’t register. You might check on that!</p>

<p>BT: Glad you are enjoying your summer catch up time. I find that I do the same when “school’s out” for me during the summer months. And I think your kiddies will love the sillybands. Great for a “treasure box.” Enjoy the baseball game and wishing BlessedSon a great game and another triple play. ;)</p>

<p>And thanks for the good travel wishes for D. She is close to home and said the bus ride was “ok.”</p>

<p>And thanks, as always, for your wonderful recap! :)</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>Psychmom…I only wish there was an all-girl’s option at my DD’s college! :slight_smile: Had my daughter gone to UT, she would have selected Hardin House or Scottish Rite (both all-girls and as she says, “the ‘only’ acceptable ones at UT.” My DH and I would have been just fine with her living in the “Virgin Vault” – Scottish Rite’s nickname. </p>

<p>(BTW…In the 80s there weren’t hardly any co-ed dorms; they were an anomaly, and no one I knew wanted to live in them. Now, that seems like all most colleges offer. Does anyone know when the transition occured and why? Just curious.)</p>

<p>I went to college in the late 70’s and all the dorms were coed. In some cases, so were the bathrooms. No one seemed to be bothered by it. Perhaps this is geographical? I was in the northeast.</p>