Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>psychmom they may even have had a pink george forman grill LOL</p>

<p>well that’s pushing it!</p>

<p>Oooh, psychmom, why is his hair long??? I missed almost the entire game because we were at ds2’s camp opening.</p>

<p>I did see the replay of the cleat to the chest. Why didn’t he get red-carded???</p>

<p>lol psychmom, i’m missing out on all this interior decorating… son loves jersey sheets and i found these really nice “lime” green ones and thought a chocolate or black comforter would be great… showed it to son and his reply…geez mom i’m not going to have that, just get something blue or whatever. his only input so far is the coffee maker had to be programmable.</p>

<p>^^^ Another boy vote for blue!! lol</p>

<p>yeah, my son will probably just want a blue comforter…his whole room is blue.</p>

<p>YDS: He wears his hair long because he is embarrassed by the size of his ears! LOL</p>

<p>yds… boys are just boring LOL</p>

<p>psychmom, that’s funny. My boys are obsessed with him. I find him creepy!</p>

<p>OK, I thought I was pretty much an expert on Greek life. When H and I were at Lafayette, 80% of the men were in frats, including DH. It was THE way of life, and I guarantee you there were no such things as $500/month in expenses or weekend trips away. Today, Lafayette is down to 1/3 or so of the men in frats. S is in a frat there and as I’ve said, his dues are in the neighborhood of $500/semester. No weekends away. A couple of parties per semester, along with ONE formal dinner dance per semester. I had good friends in sororities, and there may have been a dress code during rush but there were no photos, no resumes, and no letters of recommendation. S has many friends in sororities - apparently his frat kind of hangs out with one sorority in particular - and he’s never heard of LORs to get in either. Since most Greek organizations are national - at least the ones I know - I assumed things were pretty much the same everywhere. I guess I was wrong. And I always hated the “rich frat boy” stereotype because it was totally untrue in my experience, but if a frat is adding $7k/year to your costs I guess I can see that only the rich kids would join. No wonder everyone hates Greeks. If this is the way the system is at other schools, I’d hate them too.</p>

<p>I wonder how to break the news to D… she thinks she’ll check out sororities, find a few she likes, go thru rush by attending some events, and get a bid (or not) and join. Simple. Guess I’ll have to warn her it might not be that easy. And remind her that sorority dues are HER responsibility. I pay for tuition, room, meals and books. Period.</p>

<p>Since we got back from vacation D’s been obsessed with spending time with her BF. That’s fine, except that she works 30 hours per week and he and his family spend weekends at their small house on a pond on Cape Cod. She was there all last weekend and wants to go back this weekend. I could kill his parents - their son will be 30 MINUTES away from home this fall, while D will be 700+ MILES away, but the kids are going to spend all their time this summer at HIS house? And WHEN are D and I supposed to get her dorm shopping done? I get that BF’s mom just did all his shopping for him, but I’d like D and I to do this together. </p>

<p>But… we’re going to have to talk before we shop. D got a good sum of money in grad gifts. I’m willing to pay for her bedding, of course, and “office supplies.” But I’m thinking she can come up with money for the rug and microfridge on her own. She and her BF go out to dinner a couple times a week, they’ve been mini-golfing and to the movies in the past few nights… she needs to stop throwing money around expecting me to pay for everything she needs.</p>

<p>Can you tell I’m in a BAD mood? haha</p>

<p>(((HUGS))) to you, laf. We are in need of the money discussion, too. He’s working full time and so has some spending money, but I’m not sure he gets that the college gifts are to be spend on college expenses.</p>

<p>

Understandably. I can totally see why you’d like to rip the BF’s mother’s throat out. Could you invite him to come dorm shopping to carry packages?</p>

<p>laf, how 'bout you tell her she gets two more weekends (or whatever you deem acceptable) out there? She can pick which ones they are. I’d tell her y’all have lots to do to get ready and you need her home to get them accomplished. Also, do you know the other mom well enough to just talk to her about it?</p>

<p>{{Hugs}} to Lafalum. That would probably have me in a REALLY bad mood.</p>

<p>Good news here. D (college class of 2012) has been trying to get an internship for quite a while in the field she thinks she’d like to pursue after graduation - chasing leads, meeting people, getting close, having it not pan out, etc. Friday, she went for an interview at what she viewed as her last shot before applying for a job at Dunkin Donuts. She had indicated in her cover letter that she was looking for/expecting an unpaid internship, as she is primarily concerned with building her resume. Well, she just got a call from the HR director and she got the job and will work Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for $13 an hour!!! I was willing to support the unpaid route since I know how important it is to get a foot in the door while you’re still in college. However, she is going abroad for the fall semester, and this will enable her to enjoy it more and do more side travelling. A good result all around.</p>

<p>And just think, I’ll have two employed children. Can I retire? No, maybe not quite yet. I don’t see them earning enough for tuition in their summer jobs.</p>

<p>That’s wonderful, alice! Good for her for not giving up!</p>

<p>Good morning all! </p>

<p>Wow on the Greek life stuff! Best of luck to those planning on rushing! Any sorority/fraternity who turns down one of “our” kids is crazy!! My D’s big plan is to join the gospel choir ;)</p>

<p>psychmom - So glad you and your D enjoyed American Idiot! My D would probably keel over dead if she was ever cast with Mr. Gallagher Jr.! </p>

<p>Laf - Sorry about the BF and weekend time away. I would not like that either. I love the idea of BF having to tag along and carry all the shopping bags for you and your D!!</p>

<p>aliceinw - CONGRATS to your D. Sounds like a great opportunity for her!!</p>

<p>Good luck to those still shopping on finding the “just right” pink fridge or blue comforter or not lime green sheets. I ordered all of D’s books on Amazon last night and they came in at just under $300. Not bad considering one of the piano books alone was supposed to be $130 and that voice required 4 textbooks.</p>

<p>Hope everyone has a great day and a great week!</p>

<p>Congrats aliceinw!! Mondy is a good thing.</p>

<p>HELP!</p>

<p>I need really cheap tickets from San Jose or San Fransisco or Oakland to Atlanta, GA (or vice versa, well, preferably vice versa) any of the time between November 20th and 28th (for example, the 22-26 or 21-26). I realize this is a nearly impossible task, but there MUST be SOMETHING for around $300.</p>

<p>D got 5’s on the two AP tests she really cared about. It’s quite a confidence builder for her.</p>

<p>Also, got 30% off coupon at Kohls for later this week, so she’ll be do a bunch of shopping along with the rest of the family.</p>

<p>applicannot, try kayak.com it will give you all the different airline prices and you can adjust days… might be a problem though if that is Thanksgiving…prices will be higher</p>

<p>applicannot - The cheapest I could find was $415! You may want to sign up on a site like Travelocity and do a fare watch. That way if prices go down you will get an email letting you know. Good luck!</p>