Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>BT, how exciting for your daughter. You have good reason to be proud!</p>

<p>MissEmily, you are making me feel old.</p>

<p>I had a footlocker in college as well. I wasn’t sure if they were still used.</p>

<p>Bt - What a wonderful moment for your daughter, singing her praise ♫♫
Jc40- don’t worry about your daughter, there are some fine gentlemen going to UVa. :wink:
Thanks all for the responses on the safe question, I have to check out those at wallmart and target</p>

<p>Jc40…thanks for the tip on the safe…I hadn’t really thought about it but my D also wants to take some jewelery to school with her…nothing too extravagant but still valuable to her…
We are looking into insurance just for college students…has anyone had an experience with this? I mostly want to cover her laptop if it were to get stolen/damaged.</p>

<p>My D has not dated much either…hangs out with a group of boys and girls but they dont really date each other. I too am afraid that she will be “eaten alive” when she goes off to the BIG college…</p>

<p>BT…congratulations to your daughter! What a proud moment!</p>

<p>

Amazing! Congratulations!</p>

<p>SWTCAT, call you home owners insurance company. I called ours about adding my son’s laptop and I can just add it to our current policy. As long as your deductible is less than the laptop, this is probably the easiest way to cover it.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That song gives me chills every time I hear it, but I love it anyway. missemily, go to YouTube and search for “White Rabbit” if you haven’t heard it. </p>

<p>They made a TV movie out of Go Ask Alice which I saw when I was about 13. It scared me to death, and made me never want to go anywhere near hard drugs.</p>

<p>BT, congratulations to your D - what an exciting milestone!</p>

<p>^^^thanks I will check that…I am thinking that our deductible is going to be more than it would be with a special policy…it seems that I read on another thread that there is a company with a $25.00 deductible, which will be significantly less than our homeowner’s deductible…</p>

<p>I am thinking I need to read “Go Ask ALice” now…</p>

<p>BT- So amazing! CONGRATS!! to your wonderful D!! You must be so very proud!!</p>

<p>we’re going to get a renter’s policy for D so that it isn’t tied to our homeowners. Companies we’ve seen (mentioned here) are</p>

<p>[CSI</a> College Student Insurance Home](<a href=“http://www.collegestudentinsurance.com/]CSI”>http://www.collegestudentinsurance.com/)
[Affordable</a> Laptop Insurance, College Student Insurance, Personal Property, & Laptop Theft | National Student Sevices](<a href=“http://www.nssi.com/]Affordable”>http://www.nssi.com/)</p>

<p>I must really be old!! My mind went right to the Jefferson Airplane song, and I’d completely forgotten about the book (though I’m sure I read it once upon a time).</p>

<p>BT - Very exciting about your D! Nice that you can tie the dates together that way and make it especially meaningful.</p>

<p>Forgot to mention - when D went off to college, she eschewed the safe in favor of a hollowed out book, which she took great delight in hollowing out herself. She just bought a used classic in hard copy and put it up on her bookshelf with the other books she brought from home. I think she recently decided that it was unnecessary, and threw it out rather than packing it up at the end of the last school year.</p>

<p>BlessedTwice-What a fantastic, amazing coincidence! You have every right to be so proud of your daughter! Please share whatever details she will permit.</p>

<p>I believe that jackief has cited the insurance we used for DS#1-National Student Services. Don’t be surprised if the college sends along info about them or if you just hear from them “out of the blue.” They have a very small deductible and are very reasonably priced, if I remember correctly.</p>

<p>BT: CONGRATS to your wonderful daughter. What an exciting, proud moment. And the dates aligning is just so special. Can’t wait to hear how amazingly she did. Her patient is very lucky! :)</p>

<p>Also adding support for the small safe. It’s also a good idea to make sure you get a lock for the laptop. (similar to a bicycle chain that can be anchored to something stationary). It may even be important when left in the room. My S knew of a few students whose laptops were stolen from their room and/or the library! I’m now rethinking my D’s desire to take her jewelry box, even though it can be locked. Maybe a safe is better.</p>

<p>acm: Sounds like a needed talk with your S. I’m sure he’ll reflect and respond appropriately.</p>

<p>YDS: Sorry to hear about the needed camp package. We’ve been in similar situations over the camp years of forgotten items. And so glad you enjoyed your lunch with your D1.</p>

<p>And speaking of lovely lunches (and coincidentally I’m posting under momof3), I enjoyed a wonderful real-life lunch with momof3sons this afternoon! Since she couldn’t make it to the NYC “reunion,” we met earlier. She’s very :cool: Good times! :slight_smile: </p>

<p>momof3: waving! :D</p>

<p>{{{{{ :heart::heart::heart:BlessedTwice​:heart::heart::heart: }}}}} You are having some very special moments this summer…your joy comes through!</p>

<p>waving hi to KS and momof3!</p>

<p>I forgot to chime in:</p>

<p>My room will be chocolate brown and teal. My breadspread has some other colors on it, which also coordinate with other pieces - but I have been careful to coordinate extremely well (I am pretty OCD).</p>

<p>psychmom: Waving back! ;)</p>

<p>applicannot: Nice color scheme! I’m sure it will look wonderful. Sometimes OCD comes in handy! :)</p>

<p>Thanks for the suit advice everybody! I really appreciate it! Ann Taylor looks nice - we’ll probably hit the mall soon and check out some stores. I liked Banana Republic’s look online. Thank god for petite stuff! After three years of college, I can safely say I never needed a suit for anything, but I’m definitely in the market for one now since I’m entering interview territory.</p>

<p>In typical girl fashion, I bought interview shoes today for my hypothetical outfit. Ha! They are perfect, so I couldn’t pass them up!</p>

<p>applicannot - my roommate and I are OCD too. We have a rose and teal color scheme with hints of orange and yellow. LOL.</p>

<p>BT!! What Great News!!! Congratulations what a proud moment it must be for her and her beaming Mom.</p>

<p>Even if details aren’t available, your blue or pink alert will give us the gender clue. :D</p>

<p>Enjoy her moment of achievement!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Lafalum84: I talked to a young lady today who graduated from Elon recently and was in a sorority. They definitely don’t do the photos, resumes or LORs.</p>

<p>I’ve been debating about the footlocker. Son will have a cabinet that locks - so that’s not an issue. I was trying to decide between the footlocker and one of those plastic stacking drawer things (usually has 3-4 drawers and is on rollers). I’ve seen these several times in dorms and they look like they would be handy- they’re very lightweight and portable. I have several at home I use for crafts and you can get a lot in them. You can get different sizes drawers for them. I think you could get more in a footlocker but the drawers are a little more organized. Too many decisions.</p>

<p>MomLive: My son uses one of those with the stacking plastic drawers on wheels (has a wooden top on it) for his nightstand next to his bed. (Not for securing items though). He likes it a lot. (got it at BB&B at his school after we saw his room and then realized it would fit perfectly. It wasn’t an item I had thought of before the move-in)</p>