Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Looks like I last posted here April 2013. Hello again!

@HappyGoLucky2017 @collegeboundmass @twoforone99 Welcome! this is just a great group

However, I guess I need to pick an avatar oh my!!

Maybe something to do with a ā€˜fishā€™ @Fishnlines29?

@HappyGoLucky2017 @collegeboundmass @twoforone99 Welcome!!!

I just picked a calm cute cat as my profile picture :))

@HappyGoLucky123 @collegeboundmass there are never too many! We are all parents going through the same thing, loving and hoping our children succeed. Welcome :slight_smile:

Edit to add howdy to @twoforone99 and @rerunagain

I LOVE Disney!!! Really miss getting the Florida resident annual pass like we use to when the kids were little.

I am a Disney Dork but Coffee is my true vice!

Gosh itā€™s a coming out of lurkdom day. In the spirit of the election, I think we should vote to have all the lurkers just bite the bullet and say hi! :-h

Welcome to all of our new posters!
@twoforone99 ā€¦I love your user name. ā€œTwo for oneā€ is what we had hoped for when we did IVF to get our daughter! It didnā€™t happen (the twins part at least), but I still like the tag.

Disney was fun, but I canā€™t imagine going more than once. D would love to go back to Harry Potter World though.

Just came home from a day out with my mom to find a big fat envelope from Clemson. They arenā€™t really stealth about their acceptances and they seem to really understand that parents get the mail first and can hardly wait until junior gets home from school because : 1.) You can peek through the clear window and see "Congratulations, you have been accepted in to the college of General Engineering " and 2.) It says on the front "ā€œYou are Tigertown Bound.ā€

I would prefer a thin envelope from Pitt but for now this at least keeps the excitement going lol.

@curiositycat333 Sorry to hear about your coldā€¦hope you recover soon!

Disney: Not a huge fan. I live fairly near Disneyland and I last went when S17 was a freshman. We do go occasionally. He went with Band last week, and told me it was only OK. I mostly enjoy it for the rides. But hours in ride for a 3 minutes of fun, while hanging around huge crowds never really appeals. I personally would rather spend my money & vacation traveling out-of-doors.

I suppose I could think about Avatar. Honestly Iā€™m terrible about those things. Never know what to pick. Iā€™m the type of person who never has favoritesā€¦ so I have a hard time thinking of a graphic I feel could represent me.

I enjoyed my time at Disney because the kids were genuinely happy the entire time. The last time we went we stayed at the Polynesian and that seemed sort of nice and relaxing. My kids were old enough to walk around all day and not melt down, and we could also go out to a nice dinner without having to eat chicken nuggets all week. We ate at some nice restaurants and just splurged all week, which is something we normally donā€™t do. My wife had a hard time with the heat and humidity though for some reason, so I donā€™t think we have a lot of Florida vacations in mind as we get older, and living down there in retirement has certainly been crossed out. :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know when Iā€™d visit there again. Iā€™m more of an adventure travel type. I donā€™t like sitting around pools and beaches all day.

Disney: It was always really hard to forget how much it was costing usā€“Iā€™m paying HOW much to wait in these crazy lines? What? That being said, we did go a couple of times when my girls were young. But, like a few others here, I prefer Universal. LOVED Harry Potter World. A couple of years ago when my D17 was doing a service trip during April vacation, H, D19, and I went to Florida on the spur of the moment for a few days. H (not a fan of amusement park rides) visited his parents while D19 and I hit Universal. Since it was just the two of us, I sprung for fast-pass accessā€“it really made all the difference in the world. Lot more time spent on rides instead of waiting in lines. But we wouldnā€™t have been able to do that with all four of usā€“while cheaper than Disney, still crazy expensive.

I graduated HS in California way back in the day, and after the ceremony we flew from Northern Cal to Disneyland, where the park was open overnight just to graduating HS seniors (maybe itā€™s still a thing?)ā€“that was SO much fun!

D and I have never been to Disney together. She has been with other family. And Iā€™ve never been. Itā€™s looking like our South Africa trip may have to be postponed to Christmas break next year due to orientation being really close to her summer program end. So maybe Disney before she starts college.

@carachel2 Congrats on Clemson engineering!!!

And an update since I last posted when D17 was entering 9th grade. Haha. Second round of this since she has an older brother who graduated college in May. Has an acceptance in hand with nice merit. ED submitted to a reach. Most of the other applications ready to go if necessary. And now we wait.

Well you all inspired me to change my avatarā€¦but I canā€™t figure out how. I am thinking maybe it is because I login with FB??

OK, hereā€™s mine. Trying very hard to feel this serene these daysā€¦

Iā€™ll play. I finally uploaded an avatar. Fetching, no?

My favorite disney park is Magic Kingdom :x . Last year, we had a mgmt team building event and we all stayed next to Epcot. It actually lift Epcot up the list for me :))

Congrats to your D @carachel2 !!! <:-P