Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

here comes mine :slight_smile: Here is my Elmo story. I have hired a someone to dress up as Elmo for my son’s 2nd birthday party but I didn’t expect a 6’2" well built Elmo =))

Nevermind…I figured it out by randomly clicking until I found the place to change it :slight_smile:

Now I have to get used to the image being “me”

That’s what I’m talking about! Congrats on the big MAC!

How do I go about finding/uploading an avatar on CB, a lurking newbie asks sheepishly?

ok avatar uploaded. Maybe some people will not confuse me with The Dolomites.

@stlarenas At first I thought your avatar was the Pantheon. Time for new glasses.

I’m with @Building trying to figure out how to upload an Avatar here

Okay, I had bought 10-day Disney pass for me and 2 kids like 10 years ago. Used maybe only half. I guess kids passes expired. But I still have about 5 days on mine. :smiley:
But then these days I like all inclusive pool/beach places these days, like Club med or cruise.

On my Avatar, it’s been 2 years S19 became a life scout. Hopefully I get to upgrade this to eagle patch soon, i.e. sometime next 3 years. :!! I hope to change it to a college logo hopefully soon. :-/

@Building and @Motiv8tedmom23 I’d love to help you but I am afraid my “click around until you finally see a change picture” method is all I got :slight_smile:

@Building @Motiv8tedmom23 Click on your Name at the top of the page, then PREFERENCES in the orange button by your avatar, then in the menu on the left there is a “Change My Picture”

Totally makes sense.

@payn4ward - Your son sounds like my younger son! He is 3 partial MB’s and a project short of Eagle. Been that way for over a year! He is 16 so has time, but not a lot of time! Older son made Eagle in February and added a Bronze Palm in May.

@hadmeathello: It does totally make sense. Thank you!

Avatar it is, then! A peaceful sunset in the Big Sky country to hopefully help maintain my sanity during this process. I am popping back in to report that we’ve now submitted four applications, including one SCEA on Nov. 1. FAFSA submitted and Profile nearly done. Those have to be buttoned up by Nov. 15. This whole process is so stressful. I keep second guessing our list and adding new options since we’re looking for merit. My current new find is Miami University in Ohio. I think she could possible get $ there. D17 is now allowed to chew most food! So that was nearly as exciting as application submission. :slight_smile: Continued good luck to all and hello to all the newcomers. Welcome to the crazy.

Wow! Thank you for the warm welcome. I am thrilled to have begun what will surely go down as the “Day of Delurking”.
My DS just received an email for a local interview with a Cornell alumni. I was surprised because I thought the College of Engineering didn’t offer interviews. The email stated that an interview would be an opportunity to personalize his application. We consider Cornell a reach, along with everyone else. I’m encouraging him to follow through on the invite.

OMG! The EA stress is enough… now I have to get creative with an avatar! UGH! :slight_smile:

I’ll get on it so that you’ll remember me @HiToWaMom. My enlightened, clever posts are not enough apparently.

=))

@picklesarenice — Miami U is gorgeous and good solid merit. I wanted my kid to like it! But she hated the campus and couldn’t run out of there quickly enough. But I read some good things here and I think one of our 17’ers parents has a kid there and they like it.

Definitely visit if you haven’t already.

@hadmeathello, thank you! @payn4ward as if College App season isn’t stress enough, my S17 is also in the final stage of Eagle with 24 days left to complete it.

Welcome to all of the delurkers!!

There are a number of almost Eagle Scouts it seems. My S finally was able to finish up everything for his Eagle before Halloween. Did the Board Of Review and is an Eagle Scout now. Now I have to plan the Court of Honor, but that won’t be until THE APPS GET TURNED IN!!! (And the honor college apps too :-w)

Edited for: Nice avatars everyone :smiley:

Woot - cool avatars everyone! I think @NerdMom88’s confused squirrel sums up the whole college process quite nicely.

@whataboutcollege, okay, now we all know you must be a tiger-mom!

@curiositycat333, I don’t know about representing you, but your username is easy-peasy. I just googled “curious cat” images and came up with a treasure trove. Here’s the first one that showed up: http://www.lovethispic.com/uploaded_images/8851-Curious-Cat.jpg
How cute is that?!

My avatar: My avatar’s actually a photo of me (though one from better than a decade ago). Now, it’s a photo of me that’s been digitally altered, sure, but still, a photo of me.

Disney: Back when we lived in Florida we had Disney passes for a year—really expensive, even with the local resident discount, but fun. (And the beauty of an annual pass is that you can go for a couple hours to hit a specific ride or show and then leave, and not worry that you have to wear yourself out seeing everything you can in the tiny bit of time you have.) Our kids were of an age back then, though, that we got a lot more out of the Sea World passes we had for a few years after that. If we ever get down to Southern California or Central Florida again we’ll probably hit Disney as part of the trip, but we’re not focused on it beyond most of us (read: me and most of my kids, but definitely not my wife) having a deep and abiding love of experiencing all that American kitsch has to offer.

Speaking of American kitsch: My dream attractions vacation, though, would be to spend a month driving I-90 across South Dakota, seeing every little tiny attraction along the way. The one time we drove it we were on a deadline to make Glacier National Park and so couldn’t take it slowly, but I still remember that road as the place weird goes to die. It was like every single exit had some crazy-sounding little attraction (deer made of car parts! 50-foot tall woman! the Corn Palace! the lonely dinosaur! and so on!), and I want to see all of them.

A reminder: Just a quick reminder for y’all to add your kids’ acceptances to the [2017 acceptances thread](Class of 2021: List of Acceptances (H.S. Class of 2017) - Parents Forum - College Confidential Forums) as they come in—I know I’ve heard of several on this thread that aren’t there!