Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@MichiganGeorgia - What we have found to be helpful is for D17’s essays be, in a sense, functionally modular. They are organized into overarching themes (e.g., Leadership; Diversity; What do you want to study and why _?; Favorite books, Why _ school?) with versions of each theme that range from 3 to 100-200-250-350-500-650-750++ words. She also has raw material that we can draw from from previous scholarship and summer program applications, etc.

Sometimes essays get combined if they work well thematically and if the prompt calls for it (a bit of plug and play), and sometimes they require a hatchet job. There is a necessarily a lot of individualizing necessary for prompts and programs, but that has made it easier for D17 to approach the overwhelming task at hand.

Ha i love @bigMACguyver !! Welcome again all of you delurkers.

One team, one dream, @STEM2017, I like it!

The one thing I hope for most on this thread is that those of you who are facing budget constraints have your kids accepted to a great school that satisfies your financial need. All of your kids seem like such smart passionate students and they deserve a chance to pursue their dreams.

Thanks for the soccer well wishes, heading out in a bit to drop son off at team bus.

Thanks for all the welcomes! Such a friendly place.

Damn you Portals! You are going to be the death of me.

Portals are like refrigerators. Whenever I’m bored (every 5 minutes) I go back to take another look hoping that magically something better will be in there. Nope.

@STEM2017 - And each portal is different! Different login procedure, navigation and method of conveying status. I want a single portal that takes the input from the 10 portals that my S17 has and put them on a single page dashboard! That would be awesome!

@jpc763 Great idea for an App. One of our kiddies should get on it!

@jpc763, Kind of like those programs that store up your passwords and you access that program with one master password. I like it!

Has anyone tried BU portal? It won’t let you use a saved password!

I’m in for Common Portals too.
Seems that a few colleges paid for similar looking portals anyway, why can’t they just merge? [-(

I feel the urge to check the portals - however none of my Ds really have anything to look at. Most just list 4 or 5 required items and a check if they are received. All of hers are complete so I don’t really know what we would be checking for at this point.

D was supposed to get one more EA app in this week (due 11/10) but I don’t think it is going to happen. I have stopped nagging about this one as I take it as a sign that she really isn’t interested in this school anyway.

That leaves 4 or 5 rolling and RD apps left with a self imposed due date of 12/1. I imagine she will get them in over Thanksgiving break. Then we will sit and wait.

@STEM2017 wrote

I’m so designing a t-shirt with that. On the back it’ll say “Save Your Drama For Your Llama”.

Nothing new to report here, D17 school-wise. I’ve taken myself out of the nagging about the SAT 2 business for her second time around, and there is nothing to do until we start hearing back in December.

I am occasionally tempted by Swarthmore and Vandy’s relentless, unending barrage of “apply! apply!”, but then I remember that those schools cost a bazillion dollars and add their flyers to the giant stack that will become my senior project. Thanks for the pretty paper.

Ack, go away for a few days and the whole world changes under you! 8-}

Congrats to all who deserve them, hugs to all who need them!

So… D17 finally after many tears, a couple of fights, and a “mental health day” off from school, has her CA essay finished. I always thought “pulling teeth” was a kind of extreme metaphor, but I am reconsidering! This was hell. I’ve never felt so mean. I have an amazing relationship with my kids, so having to put my foot down this hard really hurt. :frowning:

But, at least we are still on track for her ED application to go in in the next day or so (just finalizing art and dance supplements) and I’m working my way through the Profile. (Ugh, real estate valuations - why are there no standards??) After the ED app is in, I guess I’ll have her send in the no fee apps next, while preparing but holding onto the remainder for when the ED answer comes in. Is that what’s generally done? If ED school does not come through, that’s when you actually pay to submit RD apps that have app fees?

Today was the first day in forever that S17 didn’t get college mail. I guess the marketing machines are finally slowing down.

^^No more trees left.

@MotherOfDragons Let us know where we can order the Ts. This could be really big. We can donate a portion of the proceeds to the first of our C’s who develop the Common Portal (because let’s face it, they’re all so sick of this they need the incentive), and we can all wear them for move in days. How awesome would it be to spy a matching shirt on campus?

Question for the Bama applicants and parents: Does anyone know anything about the Blount Scholars program? S is intrigued and thankfully he got the invite to apply to be interviewed for selection just before I hit the purchase button on some airline tickets, hotel rooms and car rental for January. We planned a trip for mid-month but now I’m trying to find out when the interview would be (the letter just says January) if S applies and gets asked down for that. We can’t afford to go twice in the same month! No return call yet from the message I left at the Blount number and admissions doesn’t know dates or details.

I’m just curious how selective the application process is and how interviews work for those farther away. I can ask over on the UA forum but I thought I’d start among friends.

@thermom

That is roughly our application order with slight modifications:

freebies/no essay schools - anytime

1. schools with firm early scholarship deadlines
  2. REA
  3. If REA is positive - Spend $ on a few more RD reach schools = relaxed holiday break :smiley:
  4. If REA is negative - Spend $$$ on many more RD safety and reach applications = stressful holiday break. ~X(

@iabooks I don’t know about Blount, but UA reimbursed ds for his CBH interview trip.

Thanks @Mom2aphysicsgeek!

@Rightcoaster Good luck to your son on his game!

@Stem2017 Love the “one team, one dream!” You are fabulous. re: Portals, do you ever wonder if some IT guys is having a laugh at how many times someone logs in to check?

@LoveTheBard Your advice on approaching essays is spot on! Where were you in August?? :slight_smile: We came to the same process by accident after S17 kept writing new essays. After both the college counselor and I tired of having to review new essays every other day, I came to the process you described and named them all with a one or two work topic. From there he had short versions or longer versions and tweaking them to personalize it to a specific school became so much easier.

Ok, D got an email from U of Arizona. She didn’t apply there, but apparently she is an admitted honor student, and being invited to a VIP trip or something like that. It is very odd. Anybody else got that?