Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Congrats!!! @ACT2017

DS is officially done with the app process. We went to the store this weekend to look for a college sweatshirt and he is really excited. I want to know how burnt orange is even a choice for a college color. Regular orange is perfectly fine but burnt orange? Yuck. Not the best of school colors IMO.

Maybe I am just having a hard time letting go of Bama and A&M. I know UT is the best choice for his major but stillā€¦

I am still cheering everyone on and looking forward to seeing all of those acceptances roll in.

Another common app complaint: My daughter wrote a really, really amazing essay for the ā€œWhy us?ā€-type essay for Earlham. 487 words, which, given that there were no length limits listed, seemed about right. Nope! When she pasted the text into the box, she was told to trim words to get it down to the maximum of 200. ~X( I mean, is it really that hard for a text box with a maximum input length to tell applicants that ahead of time?

@Tgirlfriend - No Stanford REA here either; D17 decided to go with Yale. Sheā€™ll submit RD to Stanford and Princeton.

@dfbdfb - ugh. What a PITA!

I agree @dfbdfb ā€“ If it doesnā€™t say, DS puts ā€œ123456789ā€ and a space into the box, copies that and pastes it 10 times, copies that and pastes it until the box gives an error. Sometimes you have to save to see what gets cut off, though. He just recently did a local scholarship where the box didnā€™t say anything about length.

@dfbdfb We had that problem with a different school. Very frustrating.

@dfbdfb we had nearly the EXACT experience last night (wrote 450 tried to post and max was 200). D was so frustrated! And even more so - after we looked further we realized that the essay was not required (this is a safety - so it really is optional for her) but the reason she couldnā€™t complete the app was because they required a link to a ZeeMee accountā€¦what??!

She was so tired and frustrated that she just submitted the link to a blank ZeeMee account in her name :slight_smile:

The bright side is she was able to use the essay for another one of her apps. So thatā€™s 2 more apps submitted (one rolling safety and one RD super reach)

Still 3 RD match/low reach schools left - but they are nearly done. Each have one or two of those short 75-200 word essays that my D is really struggling with. But she is confident they will get submitted this weekend and then will be done.

@jedwards70 --you need to change your avatar to burnt orange with some white longhorns on itā€¦just sayin!
After a lifetime of a good solid normal color like MAROON Iā€™m sure the burnt orange just feels weird!

I think we are done also. It DOES feel weird too!!

Very exciting to see some Ivy and Stanford hopefuls on the thread! Not for us but weā€™ll be rooting for all of you!

Exciting times.

Large snail mail envelope from U South Carolina sitting on dining room table waiting for S17 to get home and open. Not sure what it is but itā€™s from admissions and has a giant YES! printed on it.

Iā€™ll keep you posted.

Did he ask the U of South Carolina admissions department to go to prom? :slight_smile:

@jedwards70 Major congrats!!!

Stick around though. :slight_smile:

@STEM2017 Now Iā€™ll be watching the mail all day today and tomorrow for that envelope! Wasnā€™t expecting a decision until December.

@itsgettingreal17 Same here. This will be the first ā€œnon-portalā€ answer. Hopefully.

@dfbdfb ā€” that is the worst! As son was submitting to his SCEA with 50 minutes to spare, he discovered that the 35 word prompts (four of them, I think) actually had character limits. No mention of character limit anywhereā€¦

He has had to cut his 650 word CA essay down to 500, and I swear that took him an entire day. Want this process to be over but far from it!

@dfbdfb thatā€™s brutal. How frustrating. I actually logged into the Common App for the 1st time in a while, as my son thinks he might want to add another ā€œreachā€ type school, now that he has an acceptance in hand. What I liked about the application was that there were only 2 easy questions to answer and the student was told to limit their answers to 100 words. I like that!
Should be easy enough to complete for son17 and then weā€™ll see where it goes. He is right on the bubble of acceptance/deny but he is applying to less competitive major so maybe he gets in.
Anyways, it looks like son will end up with about 8 schools on his ā€œlistā€, which is good because he only had 3 or 4 this summer.

Congratulations @jedwards70 for being done!
Iā€™m sure there are worse colors than burnt orange. Iā€™m not a fan of any shades of green.
What a relief for the thanksgiving! <:-P =D> =D>
Hope we hear from them soon too.

Colorado school of mines mailed a package saying welcome OREDIGGER!
Took a little to get it as we havenā€™t watched any sports Mines play. :))

@jedwards70 congrats! You might be the first one done in here right? Thatā€™s great!! Iā€™d be thrilled to be done with it all. Not there yet. Good luck getting used to burnt orange. I like regular orange better too.

Yay @jedwards70 <:-P

S accepted to U South Carolina! Very nice early surprise. Like @itsgettingreal17 said, we werenā€™t expecting to hear until December. Smart move by some schools to get answers out before the holiday. Makes for good Thanksgiving conversation.

Congrats on reaching the finish line @jedwards70! I think you and @jeepgirl may be the only ones done.

@dfbdfb S found cutting large swaths of his work MUCH harder than adding to it. Sorry to hear of your dilemma. Good luck.

ETA: Following SUNY Binghamton on Instagram. They are posting pics of the first snowfall up there. They will definitely move down on Sā€™s list when he sees that. Seems like 2 weeks ago it was in the 80s.