Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@CT1417 It said U of Washington, so I assume so. Things might have changed at Berkeley over the years, but I would be surprised if it was a big issue there. Their graduation rate is pretty high, so that should be a decent indicator. It is a dog eat dog world there and I don’t think that has changed much.

@youcee --yes. Very disheartening to see and read all of that. When we toured in June it was just a gut reaction. Over the past few months the gut reaction has been placed with steady evidence that is not the kind of experience I want to pay $25,000 for!

I’m saddened by my alma mater and the goals they are pursuing. “We’re big…let’s get even bigger!!”

My kid would rather go to Alabama ANY day.

Of course it’s looking like it may not even be an issue since her A&M applicant portal STILL says “Engineering Review!” :)) Her friends with lower stats and no calculus are getting their engineering admissions decisions though :-S

@youcee — thanks. I had not read the thread and don’t want to fall down another rabbit hole, as I am prone to doing.

I got the feeling from speaking with CS students at Berkeley that a four year graduation would be challenging. They had great internships, but were not finishing in four years. Small sample size, so may be inaccurate, but I also felt it was each man for himself and wasn’t all that excited about that at OOS rates.

Thanks!

@CA1543

Same situation. We are even pushing it really close by not submitting a couple of Dec 15th deadline apps until we get results that might not be released until the 15th.

@nw2this – I do not blame you at all. A school that son may apply to if EA results are unfavorable has a note on their website encouraging applicants to submit their RD app by Dec 15th? I can’t believe the AOs will spend the Christmas holiday reading those apps, but maybe. I don’t want to pay another app fee for a school he may not apply to.

Besides, the essays have not been touched!

Here is a link to some graduation rate data: http://collegecompletion.chronicle.com/

@UWfromCA With some exceptions, that map of the graduation data looks like a political red state/blue state map, but in this case it’s red state/green state.

@UWfromCA Thanks for that link - there is some really interesting data when I dug a little deeper and looked at the California schools. I may have seen it before, but it’s good to see it again. They show the 6-year graduation rate by default, but the 4-year rate was more interesting to me. A few schools our son has applied to stood out to me and I’ll have to dig deeper if necessary when the time comes.

@youcee @CT1417 a guy I know who’s in his mid-20s said his friends who went to Berkeley had trouble getting into their gen. ed. classes and a bunch of them had to come to community college to take them there! This was probably about 5 years ago, not sure how it is now. Interesting to hear you got that impression at UW also - we toured UW and my D didn’t like it for other reasons (and she wouldn’t be in engineering).

QoTD: Well, since the original list was 87% mine, it’s not like ‘she’ wanted to attend, but ‘I’ thought it would be a good fit for her, or it was a parent-choice (hello Bama). Now as she has several acceptances, she feels she has some good choices. We are still waiting on about 5 decisions, only 1 of which she would probably not attend even if admitted at this point because the current admit schools are probably better fits and are affordable as well. I want her to visit if she shows the least interest though.

She does keep hearing about schools from friends, and asks why she didn’t apply there. It’s usually money, I remind her. But, that is not happening much anymore, as kids get their apps in.

@DMV301 D is pretty calm about the rest of the process, but I have been having sleep issues as some others have mentioned. I wake up thinking about an email I could send that would make some sort of difference, and then I can’t stop thinking about it. It’s not tied to any upcoming decisions, just things in general. Which means I don’t know when it’s going to get better.

Welcome @sdl0625. Our D’s have several overlaps or almost overlaps. Elon was #1 on my D’s list for a long time, up until close to application time when it dropped totally off. She decided in the end, after more visits to different schools, that she liked bigger and sportier. Good luck with all your decisions…I don’t envy having an ACT retake on the calendar!

QuoteOTD:

Hi guys. Former lurker here. >-)

Anybody have University of Puget Sound on their radar ( @eandesmom I think you may have mentioned it?). The deadline for their major scholarships is Dec. 15. Just thought I’d mention it b/c it’s different from their honors college app deadline and their RD deadline. It’s a long shot, though, since they award only four per year (two in each of two categories).

good artists borrow; great artists steal :slight_smile:

"Degas undertook racing scenes throughout his career, characteristically manipulating his horses and jockeys from one picture to the next. All the figures here appear in earlier works, and some of the poses have pedigrees even more distinguished than the horses: the prancing mount and rider at the center derive from Benozzo Gozzoli’s Journey of the Magi in the Palazzo Medici-Riccardi, Florence, which Degas had copied in 1859. "

I am enormously flattered when the kids in my classes ask if they can use a technique or an idea that I’ve put on my canvas already. Art can’t exist in a vacuum.

Wow, how did I get on that soapbox? November flew by, but December is going at a caterpillar’s pace…

good luck to all the kids taking the SAT and the subject tests tomorrow!

@picklesarenice yes, UPS is on our radar. I would not expect that my S could qualify for any of the top scholarships, however he will be going for non-major music scholarships as well as Theater tech, I do need to double check the date on the theater one.He has his interview there on Monday and then his audition in February.

Is UPS on your list too?

Hi all. SUNY Binghamton started releasing decisions yesterday. We’ve heard nothing yet. Please keep your fingers crossed for DS.

Fingers crossed @STEM2017. Hope your S gets good news!

Hoping he gets good news @STEM2017.

good luck @STEM2017