Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Congrats to both girls @TimEnchanter!

@TimEnchanter Congrats on both counts. I loved UKy when I (D17 was not in tow) visited. I have yet to go to Israel but Iā€™ve heard a thing or two about it. That is fantastic news for D19 as well!

Introverted Grinders will be the name of my next band.

@MACncheez

IGs seeking BigMACā€“itā€™s a thing!

@panyward I know quite a number of very successful women academics who have families. Although quite a few of them waited to get pregnant till after they had tenure. And a few notable ones clearly got pregnant within months of that tenure acceptance. And since many of them now have kids out of college, I would think that includes your generation.

At least around hereā€¦ academia allows for flexibility in your schedule. Although there are times it absolutely isnā€™t flexible (such as no vacations at all during term time). But from my perspective (as the wife of an academic & many friends are academics themselves) it can be more flexible than a standard 9-5 job. I know of many academics who are able to be home in the afternoon when the kids get home from school. (And then they work all evening.) And you work all the time, and even though it seems you get summers off you have to do your research. And you travelā€¦

@thshadow re: post # 22685 =D> Fabulous post!

Congratulations to the recent acceptances and good luck to all waiting to receive decisions in over the next week. S17 has two EA apps in that will receive decisions on next week. Our schedule has him completing two more apps this weekend so we can get them ready before any decisions are out so heā€™ll still be in a positive frame of mind.

@DoyleB Too soon for the NM cutoff thread jokes. That was the longest roller coaster ride ever! This coming from a parent whose kid did make the cutoff and was sitting fairly safe throughout and I still cringe.

To all who offered support and kindness, thank you! I just got home after getting on the road this morning for a school visit for my DS19 who is in the middle of trying to get recruited to play prep hockey - a whole new hell. I spent two hours in the coldest rink I have ever been in (8 years of hockey, I know cold!).

@Mom2aphysicsgeek Your wise words are most appreciated! I had some expectations of success, wonā€™t make that mistake again! LOL! I told DD that she could apply to lottery schools only if she realized they were indeed lotteries, I believed what I was saying at the time but the closer we get to EA day the more the crazy creeps in to my brain. I just assumed her CC would only nominate her for scholarships that she had a shot at.

When I got home tonight, my introverted grinder met me with ā€œI got an email from MIT today telling me the decisions will be out on the 15th!ā€ Oh great, 8 days to fortify myself. Next Thursday will be a really good day or on par with the day her cat died. I need to buy more chocolate.

So I will leave you with this - which has gotten me through many hockey try-outs: Success is not finite, just because your kid finds it doesnā€™t mean there isnā€™t plenty for my kid. No one takes a spot (on a team, in a college) from you, itā€™s either yours or it isnā€™t. Simple yes. but it has kept my head from exploding many times.

Good luck, happy days, big money and fat envelope wishes to all of you!

@jmek15, yes, D has a ā€œghostingā€ school: Smith. She visited junior year, but unfortunately they only interview seniors. She contacted admissions in the fall when she found out they would be doing some local school visits, but not at her school. The AO interviewed her at a coffee shop for 45 minutes and D thought it went well. She gets an email from them here and there, but not much. Itā€™s especially unnerving because Iā€™ve heard quite a few posters refer to it as a stalker school! At least we did get the recent ā€œparentsā€™ packet.ā€ At any rate itā€™s a very high reach because even if she was admitted, sheā€™d need one of their biggest scholarships and Iā€™d be shocked if that happened.

@cleoforshort --thinking good thoughts for you. The day our first cat died was, according to DS, the saddest day of his life (and has been for over 10 years), so I get what you mean. Iā€™m hoping he doesnā€™t replace that with another worst day any time soon.

@snoozn what was the Smith parent package?! My D visited, interviewed, applied and itā€™s total silence on their end ever since.

S anxiously waiting for ED decision on Friday. While nervously waiting, just found out he got into the business school at U Texas. A very nice surprise. They only enroll around 150 OOS kids. Should hear in a week if he gets the prestigious Honors program. If he does, this moves way up the list. He can get Instate tuition after one year. Would really help with cost.

This will take the sting out of a rejection from ED if the inevitable happensā€¦

Hook emā€¦

GO Introverted Grinders!

Extroverted Squirrel Chaser here.

The world needs both.

Congrats @BigPapiofthree and @TimEnchanter !! Great news for both of you! So much great news all around.

S17 is a grinder and always the number 2 guy. He will NEVER willingly take a leading role but is very happy to jump in and play any key role once the ice is broken. The world definitely needs people like him.

S19 is the cafeteria magnet - thereā€™s always a crowd around him. Heā€™s the 9/11 Museum guy.

S21 lays somewhere in between. Heā€™s still figuring out his place in the world, learning from his brothersā€™ example.

@BigPapiofthree Congrats!!!

Adding my congrats to @BigPapiofthree and @TimEnchanter !! Awesome news.

@cleoforshort ā€“ yeah trying not to think too much about next Thursday night at 6:28 - when it will be impossible to log in because of overloaded servers ā€“ I imagine weā€™ll be stressed though it seems so unlikely it is a bit hard to get hopeful. DS seems to not have seen the message they sent out & I am not bringing it up though heā€™d love how they picked that exact time (Tau). Think we should hear from Northeastern before and maybe Case afterwards in a few days so hopefully heā€™ll get some good news. DS (and I) are still grinding away at 4 other apps though - getting closer on 2 big ones though and hope to submit 1 by tomorrow!

@TimEnchanter What an amazing opportunity. Wow! And @BigPapiofthree Hoping he gets it!

Lots of exciting news in here. Congrats to everyone! Here is hoping the trend continues for those of you expecting answers on specific dates!

Congrats to your son @BigPapiofthree <:-P

So Cornell ED answers come tonight. FSU EA will be released tonight as well. Any others coming today?

Congrats to the Dā€™s of @TimEnchanter and to the S of @BigPapiofthree! Hoping for good news for those with upcoming decision dates!

Good news @BigPapiofthree , keeping fingers crossed for ED!