Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Good luck to everyone waiting for news today and tomorrow!!!

@BigPapiofthree --Hook 'Em! (which is hard to say since Iā€™m an Aggie!) and congrats!

Ok I had no idea about in-state tuition after one year. Very cool!!

@BigPapiofthree Iā€™m curious about the in-state tuition after one year deal at UT. Is it coupled with Honors or is there some other criteria? Great option for your S!!!

@STEM2017 --me too! Iā€™m sitting here looking at the UT page trying to figure that out. I was not aware.

I didnā€™t realize there were so many Introverted Grinders in here. Iā€™m not sure if that is how Iā€™d describe my son.

Heā€™s more like a self imposed introvert competitive nerd jock rocker quasi- slacker.

Heā€™s certainly not a grinder. He has an amazing memory and absorbs everything in school, so he rarely studies. That is great, except when it comes to math because you have to actually figure the problems out, vs just memorizing and understanding. So he gets all Aā€™s without studying, except in math where heā€™s more of a B/B+ student because he makes stupid mistakes from not practicing what heā€™s learned. So this year he is taking H PreCalc and AP stats and has to really put in extra work so he doesnā€™t bomb out. Heā€™s not used to that, very demanding math classes for him.
Iā€™m happy heā€™s taking these hard classes because it will benefit him next year in college.

Thank you question: email or paper?

This is for a Big Deal scholarship involving multiple interviewers over two days.

@WhereIsMyKindle --my first inclination would be paper.

Emailā€¦ faster, while fresh in their memory. Letter could take a week and they might not get it until after the holidays. jmo

I think paper, too.

@BigPapiofthree and @TimEnchanter congrats on the acceptances!

@WhereIsMyKindle I think paper if itā€™s done immediately, email if paper doesnā€™t go out within 24 hours. Things move fast these days!

@WhereIsMyKindle Email.

@WhereIsMyKindle I suggest email for all of the reasons above, plus the message can easily be replied to, filed away, or discarded by the recipient.

@BigPapiofthree congrats! Hoping for another acceptance for your son ED!

@WhereIsMyKindle I suggest banana leaf so as to stand out a bit.

@BigPapiofthree Iā€™m also curious about the deal for getting in-state tuition in TX too! Do tell.

Man, school has been so crazy busy, Iā€™m trying to keep up here. I keep forgetting to move the advent calendar forward. Somehow this does not make the days go any faster for the results, weirdly enough!

@nw2this wrote

I can only speak to this as an observer of two of my adjunct professors who are parents of under-18 kids (one divorced guy whose ex is also a prof, and one is a married woman with elementary age kids), but they seem to be happy with being able to bring their kids in when they need to. They have other issues that they talk about, but I donā€™t usually hear about work/life balance being an issue.

It does seem like each university sets its own culture, and within that the dean sets more of it. For instance, my painting professor was texting the dean of our department about removing some gross old carpeting in the painting studio, and the dean was like, great, letā€™s make it happen. Iā€™m not sure that familiarity and support is the norm.

@STEM2017 wrote

I laughed out loud at that one. The day we ran the NPCā€™s for Swarthmore, U Miami, and Rice was our brutal wake up day.

This adds fuel to my argument that you should have a minimum post count before you can create a thread. This nonsense is one of the top reasons CC aggravates the guano out of me.

@thshadow wrote

Oh absolutely. I donā€™t think weā€™ll be extremely disappointed at some of the rejections weā€™re anticipating, at least. I suspect it will be more of a shrug and move on moment, and Iā€™ll share whatever we hear.

@carachel2 yeah PSATā€™s next week. I am frankly as anxious about that for D18 as I am for the admits/rejects coming in for D17.

Do you all remember when your GC/school gave you access to Naviance for your kid? I canā€™t seem to remember if it was sophomore year or later. Son19 is a sophomore, and no word on naviance acct for him yet. Just wondering. Iā€™m not going to bug the GC right now because she might come and hunt me down at this stressful time.

@RightCoaster Junior year for parent access to Naviance, for us at least.

@RightCoaster ā€“ I requested access end of sophomore year for older son as I wanted to start visiting colleges summer before Jr year. At that time (2012), no one had access that early. Fast forward to three year younger son, and guidance now introduces them to Naviance during freshman year.

Perhaps dropping a note to guidance in Jan asking for access.

For us it was junior year, but they are doing more earlier (with freshman and sophomores) this year. I am hoping that by spring of sophomore year we will be able to access D19ā€™s info.

@RightCoaster Iā€™m pretty sure we were given Naviance access after College Kickoff Night late in sophomore year.

Sā€™s GC has been so incredibly helpful and responsive which Iā€™m sure has contributed to some of his success. I wonder if a small flower arrangement might be in order for her desk as we head into the holiday break? Any thoughts?