Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Well, @BigPapiofthree I bet if I spent as much time trying to get in-state tuition in TX as I do on CC, it would seem pretty simple. RIght now, not so much!

Congrats to @CAtransplant’s K!

@payn4ward We’re right with you waiting for Case.

I was able to see D19’s PSAT scores as they were posted in her Naviance, though I don’t think she has access to it yet. My parent view shows both girls, but I think it was late sophomore year when they were given a username and password.

@snoozn We’ve had a similar experience with Smith. D17 did a summer program there last year and interviewed at that time. (That was her very first college interview so I have no idea how it went. D thought it was good?) I’ve filled out the “send me info” request and we’ve sent her test scores, FAFSA and Profile. The only thing we haven’t done is actually turn in the application. But we’ve heard nothing from their end. I am hoping this doesn’t mean bad things as far as a possible Stride offer. Sigh.

@Atyraulove We recently received a Smith letter saying we could write a LOR for our child if we wanted.

Congrats to all the new acceptances and MAC!

D and W are in St. Louis braving the colder than Philly weather which will be here in a couple of days. D didn’t see anything at the Korean taco place someone recommended on here so they went to another taco place for lunch.

@STEM2017 Thanks for the Cornell info - I told my D she should text her prom date good luck.

I know my explanation was long and sounds difficult. I learned about it years ago on College Confidential. It was the best return on investment for all my time spent on this site I feel it is my place to pay it forward. If any of you get in, and want more insight, PM me…

@BigPapiofthree --interesting explanation! So really, you have to be an involved parent and have to be capable of investing in some real estate. It sounds doable if you make that effort and overall a strong ROI if you are willing to see it all through.

@carachel2, Real estate is one way. If I do it again, I will explore the new alternative ways that have become available since last time. I will do what requires the least upfront money with the best return…

D was accepted to Durham University in England today in their Biomedical Sciences program.

@MotherOfDragons

Being an adjunct doesn’t really count since it doesn’t pay, but that’s what I did when my kids were infants and why my perspective might be distorted. I was broke but happy :D.

QOTD:

Would you, if given the opportunity, pay an additional one time fee right now of $100.00 to the college of your choice to get your decision instantaneously, good or bad, just to get it over with?

I think I would.

Discuss.

note: That could be my next business after I finish reworking the college portal thingamajig. :slight_smile:

QOTD: Absolutely, I would have chosen to do that! The waiting is always the hardest part!

@RightCoaster …I would pay it FOR you people who are waiting!!!

Alright, I have some takers. I wonder how much a school could charge before it deemed totally bonkers?

I think my max might be $250.00.

@snoozn My D applied ED so we didn’t get an opportunity to submit our own LOR- what a nice idea! Thanks for the information!

I’d pay $100 to each school for earlier scholarship decisions. :slight_smile:

D got her acceptance to FSU today along with their freshman scholarship. Not a lot, but with in-state tuition and Bright Futures it almost covers tuition.

FSU is her second choice but it is her best horse in the barn so far.

Along the lines of what @RightCoaster said, my next business will be to turn the application process around completely, where students publish their stats, essays, activities, and info about what they are looking for in a college (size, location, program) to a service and then colleges bid with financial aid for the opportunity to enroll the students. Think of it as LendingTree for college applications. Then the student can pick from all the offers.

@CaucAsianDad Congrats!!!

@stencils I like it!

Congrats @VickiSoCal for England and @CaucAsianDad to FSU (along with some $$) <:-P <:-P

QOTD I would’ve definitely paid $$ to find out early! You may be onto something