Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

It’s just a vocabulary thing, but I much prefer delayed over deferred and redirected over rejected.

I’m pretty sure I stole those terms from someone on the 2014 thread, so, @dfbdfb, please give me a pass for an improper citation and plagiarism.

So in ED/EA power week, congrats to those with accepts, support and best wishes to the delays and redirects.

Onward and upward…

@theshadow You are correct. He applied on a whim after a gentle push from your’s truly. We’ll wait to see if any merit-aid comes through but his ACT is on the low end so I’m not expecting much. In any case, its a top engineering program that I will encourage him to give serious consideration. There’s also some bragging rights attached to gaining acceptance to US News number 1 undergraduate-only engineering school. So there’s that.

Congratulations @STEM2017. Terrific news!

Good luck to all the Harvard and Barnard people awaiting decisions!

CONGRATS on Rose-Hulman @STEM2017 --such a fantastic and strong engineering school!

<:-P <:-P

TIme to submit more applications to more lottery schools :((

Am I reading the wrong Harvard thread? Was ANYONE accepted? It is a long long list of deferred, deferred, deferred. YIKES.

@srk2017 —UGH I just went over to the Harvard SCEA thread. I was rooting for you guys so hard!!!

So how is the news in your house? Is it bad that I wished bad things on all the classmates?? I mean, not bad…but just not accepted!

@carachel2 I just posted over there that last year they deferred 4,673 out of 6,173 (75.7%) SCEA applicants.

Seriously, shame on Harvard for pushing the decision out another couple of months. Yes or no. Make a decision and let these kids move on.

harvard usually gives less than 1000 and defers most. My S said rejection from Harvard early means not worth applying to any Ivies! Not sure how true that is.

Rejection lets you move on. Its a good thing.

Great news @STEM2017 congrats! <:-P

@srk2017 sorry about the deferral.

My DD ED school only accepts or rejects. After going through this last year with D16 and her getting a few deferrals, I think getting the rejection is better than a deferral as you can move on.

Sorry about the deferral, @srk2017. Deferrals keep hope alive.

I bet your child will get some happy news between now and the end of March.

Oh wow. Still shaking. Got good news from Harvard.

Congrats, @STEM2017! And hugs to @srk2017 – lottery is right.

@ohmyiamtired, Posse Program looks very impressive. They are doing wonderful things

Congratulations @DMV301!

Congratulations @DMV301 and thanks for the hugs.

@srk2017 Sorry to hear about Harvard. I assume he has plans to get more applications out?

The Ivy’s are lottery schools so it can be very hard to tell if Harvard deferring or rejecting ED means anything on how the other Ivy’s would react. Still lots of other schools out there and if he doesn’t want to do more Ivy apps that who am I to push it.

And congrats to @DMV301

@STEM2017, Congrats on Houston. Very nice. Too bad they lost their football coach to Texas. He was doing good there. Bringing coverage to the school. Raising the profile. Anyway, continued good news for your S.

AAAAHHHHHH!!! DD got in Barnard!!! Super happy!!!

@STEM2017, I forgot to mention Rose Hulman, too. I can’t keep up with all the news. Congrats