Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Wow, after watching that game last night, with all the kids in their shorts and t-shirts having a great time, celebrating, cheering, dancing…makes me want S, more than ever, to go to USF in Tampa.

I agree @STEM2017. Would be nice to visit in winter to a nice warm destination. I’m secretly pushing for USCar!

@Dolemite I’m so glad you had a blast. London really is one of my favorite cities. Did the weather hold out? It can be rough this time of year! I’m sure the kids enjoyed it, but how did you like the Harry Potter studios? I was pleasantly surprised - I thought it was really cool. I hope you didn’t try the food/butter-beer, disgusting lol. Did you end up going to the Tower?

@STEM2017 FSU is pre-season #1 next year!! So glad Bama lost!!

Going to a big school down south was a lot of fun. Maybe too much fun. But I turned out sorta OK so I don’t know.

If I was sending my kid down south for college I’d certainly want to know if my kid was the type of kid that could avoid distractions and focus on school. versus pool, beach, parties, football games, golfing, etc. It’s like fantasy island when you move down there as a young person and it can be very hard to concentrate. I had a lot of fun and loved going there, but I wasn’t a very dedicated student.

My older son would be fine there, but my younger son would not be able to resist the temptations and study. I got away with it, but an engineering kid might have a harder time.

@STEM2017 - S18 has it on his list!

If I win the lottery I’m endowing an art/stem school in Key West. :>

@MotherOfDragons If you need models for posing…ask @MackMcMAC.

Welcome @MACkinacBridge!

A sentiment so nice, @MACkinacBridge said it twice!

And now I’m wondering if D17—for whom a big important sports program is a definite turnoff—may be a bit more friendly to the idea of going to Alabama after last night’s championship game loss.

UA’s Twitter feed was a little sad, actually—game updates every few minutes throughout the evening, utter joy with two minutes to go in the game, and then…silence. Complete and utter silence until a photo this morning of their mascot shrugging in the end zone. It was almost (but not quite) as bad as a couple years ago, when Oregon sent email after email—seriously, they were more than daily in the week preceding the game—about the buildup to the championship game to their prospects, inviting them to parties and viewing events and such in Eugene and wherever the championship game was that year and who knows where all else, only to have absolutely no mention after they lost.

Welcome @MACkinacBridge. Don’t eat too many big MACs and suffer like other MAC lovers.

No need to be nervous @MACkinacBridge, pretty soon you will be an expert and will become a senior member before our seniors graduate :slight_smile:

I don’t know @srk2017. I’ve seen lots of posters like @MACkinacBridge who last a few days tops and then are never heard or seen from again.

Maybe if people were better at using computers, they could stick around a little bit longer… :slight_smile:

Okay, can we say that we are officially in the January lull, waiting for more real results?

A …MAC… a day keeps the rejections at bay?

@Dave_N --the mail is soooooooooo boring!

But hey…Oral Roberts University still wants my kid to apply!

We continue to get mail from schools we’ve never expressed interest in (as well as for schools where we did, but decided long ago not to attend). Email to me continues–email to D has pretty much stopped. Interesting strategy. We did get a piece of good mail yesterday–an acceptance to an RD school (and the RD deadline isn’t even until 2/15). Allegheny. Came with some great merit, too. It’s sort of in the middle of the pack for my D, so not sure if I should get too excited, lol.

Yes… waiting. It is painful, more for me than for S. I suppose he should start on the outside scholarship app that we both are currently ignoring. App burn out has definitely set in.

All work and no play makes Mack a dull boy. Anyone want make wagers as to gives up playing the game first?

We are still getting a few random emails from colleges not interested in as well. But otherwise gearing up for a couple of interviews, and getting the verdict from GATech on the 14th.

Getting ready for midterms - all important second quarter ends on Jan 27th. Then counselor will prepare the midyear report and submit. I wish students could update the common app sections on awards, activities & other developments rather than having to email AO’s or figure out what schools allow supplements to be sent in online.

DS wants to do FBLA state conference & competition in April – can’t do mobile app anymore & took a few of the tests offered - think he’ll do Network Design (did once and came in second but allowed to do again I think). But who knows - might need to go visit a few colleges if he’s not yet decided then!

Seniors are being asked if they want to apply for internships - these will run for a few weeks I think after AP exams - program has grown a lot in last few years.

We’re not in the January lull yet. D is working on an honors app due Jan 12 and has two more apps plus another honors app due Jan 15! All these RD deadlines seemed so far away…

Essay advice needed! D’s essay is about what invention has had the worst impact on the world. Obviously D has had to do some research on her topic. But she doesn’t want to clutter up the actual essay (supposed to be one page) with “According to a study done by Dr. Y at University X…” Do you think it’s okay to include facts in the essay and then a list of references at the end? That’s how she’s writing it for now.