Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@nocturne21 I was at the Central park concert. i cant believe my parents let me go!

Also have seen mentions of Adam Ant. I saw him while in college. I did find him kinda hot back in the day.

@Klinska technically Elvis was my first concert. My mom would see him every time he toured and once when I was in the womb.

Not sure who said they finally saw KISS but KISS in '77 was my first concert without a parent. Canā€™t believe my parents let me go with friends while still in jr high.

Add me to the Bruno Mars list. We saw Paul McCartney last year, and while Iā€™m not a Beatles fan at all, he put on an amazing concert, especially considering his age. I was glad to have had that experience.

I used to work at a concert venue in high school, so I got to see most of the people I wanted to see, like David Bowie (in the amazing Glass Spider tour), Sting, and INXS. Never did get to see Prince or George Michael, though, and thatā€™s sad.

If I could go back in time Iā€™d like to see a Doors concert, and Jimi Hendrix. Also would like to hear Bing Crosby sing in person.

@AngelaD The question is 94f. It has instructions reading that you need to backout the rollover amount from what is retrieved from IRS directly.

QOTD: We live near New Haven CT and there is a famous venue there called Toadā€™s Place. I remember seeing NRBQ, Buster Pointdexter, Huey Lewis, The Ramones but Iā€™m sure I saw more - the drinking age was 18 so some of my memories are ā€œcloudy.ā€ LOL I was also lucky to see Billy Joel, The Beach Boys and David Bowie. However the very best concert I ever saw was Sarah Vaughn at Carnegie Hall, she was magnificent!

The concerts Iā€™d like to see are Elton John (if I could go back to the 80s or 90s), Bruno Mars, Earth, Wind and Fire and Donny Osmond. Yes, I said Donny Osmond. I had a huge crush on him! Iā€™d go to more concerts but I think Iā€™d feel silly at a concert like Bruno Mars - with all the kids.

Now my 15 year old son is going to concerts at Toadā€™s, crazy!

Oh, also Pink-I know she has an amazing live voice and the footage Iā€™ve seen from her concerts is crazy good.

@cleoforshort I grew up on eastern Long Island, directly across the LI Sound from New Haven. We all listened to WPLR. It used to drive me nuts hearing about all the great shows at Toadā€™s Place that we couldnā€™t go to.

@cleoforshort, My D15 wanted to see Elton John for her 18th bday, so we both went. He was still great. People of all ages were there, and so many folks around us knew every song he sang, including the obscure ones. He said he was not going to be touring for much longer, so I am glad I was able to take her to see him.

I want to throw in Bonnie Raitt as a great performer. I saw her number of times and enjoyed each show.

@nocturne21 Iā€™ll bet we had a very similar collection of LPs back in the day. I loved Foghat, Lynard Skynrd, and Led Zeppelin.

@jpc763 I canā€™t believe I forgot to add Rush to my bucket list!

Another bucket list favorite would be Pink Floyd in their prime.

@Dolemite ā€“ that was me. The '77 tour was during my freshman year of HS and my parents would let me go! Age 34 was the first time I saw KISS, but not the last. Thank god there were other people in their 40ā€™s at the second concert!

@MotherOfDragons ā€“ I saw George Michael when he was in his 30s and it was really, really good.

Two other concerts Iā€™ve attended that blew me away were Madonna and Earth Wind & Fire (in the early 80s.) @cleoforshort, thirty years later, I still rank the EW&F concert as the absolute best Iā€™ve ever seen.

I need some advice. My D2 has her colleges down to three: UAH (accepted/honors), Bama (accepted/honors) and UMD (waiting to hear; results expected just before 2/1.) Sheā€™s visited UAH and UMD, but not Bama, and currently places Bama in third. I think that, in large part, itā€™s because she hasnā€™t yet visited, although she has talked about her reluctance to live in such a red state under the current administration.

Bama requires an enrollment deposit ($200) and a housing deposit ($300) before Feburary 1 in order to guarantee housing. The enrollment deposit is non-refundable, but the housing deposit refunds most of the money if enrollment is withdrawn prior to May 1, so Iā€™d be losing $225 if she doesnā€™t end up there.

At this point, all three schools are financially equal for us ā€“ which is important to her as a frugal kid ā€“ and weā€™ll have to wait until some scholarship notifications to see if that changes.

If you were me, would you go ahead and enroll for housing at Bama?

@NerdMom88 - Are you in one of the groups current administration followers donā€™t like and feel threatened? Otherwise red/blue/purple shouldnā€™t matter esp at big college campuses. I understand if campus is in a small rural area with most students are hardcore reds.

@NerdMom88 If she will hear from UMD before 2/1, you can wait to pay the enrollment and housing deposits to Bama. Also, if she prefers UAH, why deposit to Bama?

@NerdMom88, I guess that would depend on whether you will visit Bama for your daughter to see. I know that being on a campus has changed my sonā€™s opinion of where the campus was on his ā€œlistā€. If you donā€™t plan to visit, the next question is whether she will get into UMD and is it affordable. If UMD is taken out of the picture, does that make Bama more important or would she pick UAH as first choice. I would wait until 1/31 to decide whether to put your money down, but I also wouldnā€™t want to lose the choice in the event other schools donā€™t tun out as expected. (I know, not much help.)

@NerdMom88, weā€™re simply considering housing deposit losses (and potentially the enrollment deposit at Alabama) as the cost of doing business this application cycle, and being happy that we can afford that.

@NerdMom88 - Isnā€™t UAH also in Alabama? Iā€™m late to the Bama party (it never made it on D17ā€™s list), but I always assumed that they were both in the same state.

When is UMD supposed to announce?

@NerdMom88 I think it all depends on where you think your D will end up. If there is any chance of her changing her mind about Bama, I would put the deposit in. I also think it depends on your Dā€™s personality.

@MotherOfDragons Pink - best concert performance ever! (and Iā€™ve been to many) Sheā€™s incredible!

@NerdMom88 if that is a concern (and for me it would be and a valid one) UAH would have the same concerns. Iā€™d be concerned about relying only on UMD. It sounds as if you donā€™t do a housing deposit at Bama her option really is only UAH if UMD does not pan out.

Given that I would likely pay the deposit to reserve the option but my larger concern would be that maybe only one of her options is a school/location she can see herself at.

In terms of the housing deposit, what happens if there is no space on campus? Apartments readily available? At some schools it can be difficult to find good off campus housing in the spring before classes start. How set is your child on living on campus? How well do you think he/she would do off campus as a freshman? If my child had his/her heart set on living on campus the first year or I thought he/she might struggle living off campus as a freshman, I would put the deposit down. If neither was the case, I may well forego the deposit. If in doubt, I would likely put the deposit down.

We put down three. Priority of housing is the issue rather than a guaranty of housing. There are dorms on each campus that are preferred over others so we thought it was worth it. And we will only lose a portion of two of them. Other will be applied to ultimate college of choice.