Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@sdl0625 @nocturne21 I was there as well. My parents let me go because they came with. I think my older brother & friends wanted to attend, so they went as well and I got to join as well.

@srk2017 Yes, D2 is on the LGBT spectrum. Weā€™ve talked about how both Tuscaloosa and Huntsville are more liberal than other regions of the state, but itā€™s still a concern for her. She says that if she ventures beyond the town her school is in, she wants to feel safe.

@HiToWaMom ā€“ If she changes her major down the road, UAH wonā€™t have as many options. Also, she hasnā€™t visited Bama yet, so I donā€™t know if her ranking will be the same after we go there in late March.

@mtrosemom ā€“ Yes, weā€™ll visit Bama over her spring break (in late March.) Given the descriptions Iā€™ve seen on CC, I think sheā€™ll really love it there. Full disclosure: Iā€™d be happy with any of the three; I just want her to know all of the proā€™s and conā€™s before making a decision.

@dfbdfb ā€“ thatā€™s probably the practical way to look at it. We can afford the loss; I just hate to do it!

@LoveTheBard ā€“ yep, UA and UAH are both in Alabama. For some reason, sheā€™s less worried about UAH, and says itā€™s because itā€™s ā€œalmost in Tennessee!ā€ UMD announces (including honors/scholars) by February 1 (but usually a couple of days before.) Notification of scholarships are a few weeks after that.

@jeepgirl ā€“ thanks for your input. I think I will put down the deposit, even if it is at the end of the priority period.

@eandesmom ā€“ I know UMD is not a safety for anyone, especially in engineering, but her stats, grades, etc. are really good, so Iā€™m pretty optimistic. Youā€™re right, though, if that doesnā€™t pan out and she doesnā€™t like Bama, thatā€™s a problem. She might end up at UAH by default. Iā€™ll wait until UMD decisions to panic, though!

@saillakeerie ā€“ I think they still find space for freshmen, but it may not be in their preferred location or at their price point. I think D2 would be fine living off campus, but Iā€™d like for her to have the dorm experience.

Ok, I think Iā€™m going to do the deposits now. Even if I wait until UMD decisions are out, their scholarships still wonā€™t be announced in time.

Thanks for the help in thinking this through!

@NerdMom88 My DS21 is trans and says he doesnā€™t want to venture outside our state. (Lots of time for things to change.) Iā€™ve learned that itā€™s important for LGBT kids to be able to feel safe. Iā€™m not commenting on your specific options, because I know nothing about the LGBT communities in those places. Just commenting about the importance of feeling safe, supported, and accepted.

D17 just got her admittance package to USCali and is being considered for a full tuition scholarship. I believe that she is entitled to the 1/2 tuition automatic NMF scholarship (it didnā€™t mention anything about that, but Iā€™m pretty sure if youā€™re admitted and are a NMF, you get it). A full scholarship would be mighty nice, though!

FYI, For those of you who are waiting on letters from Clarkson, my son got a text that some admission letters were going out today via US mail.

@LoveTheBard hope D gets the full ride! That would be sweet. Good school, no tuition = mega win.

@Ynotgo ā€“ Yes, I agree that itā€™s vital for LGBT students to feel safe in their environment. D2 identifies as pansexual and, although sheā€™s come out to her friends at school, sheā€™s not sure how sheā€™d feel about dating a girl at UA. The final choice of school is entirely her decision, but I think weā€™ll do some research into both Alabama schools regarding LGBT concerns.

Congrats @LoveTheBard !! Wow, interviewing for full tuition! <:-P <:-P

@Dolemite and I posted in the USC thread that our kids got boxes from USC today. I havenā€™t opened the box or told DS17 that it is here. Think I will just leave it on the table where I usually put college advertising for him. He probably wonā€™t be home until about 5pm (Pacific) today.

Woohoo @LoveTheBard !!! Thatā€™s amazing!

As for red state/blue state, my daughter is white/Hispanic (looks white) and her boyfriend is Indian. They are very leery of looking at red state schools, afraid that could run into problems there.

Congrats @LoveTheBard. Weā€™re in the Bay Area so if she gets a box it should be today. Of course itā€™s my late shift tonight and my DD wonā€™t go in the garage to get mail (long story lol). Iā€™m having my sister check when she gets home around 5 and let me know. This waiting is killing me.

Congrats @Ynotgo. Let us know which scholarship your DS is being considered for once he opens the box.

Wahoo!! My son was accepted at UVA!! Now waiting for W&M and Richmond. UVA is his top choice now but we are waiting for the other schools.

His twin sister applied to UVA as well but RD.

@twoforone99 congrats! My ds was accepted too!

Congrats on all the good news today!!!

@crazym0m Congrats back at you. Are you instate too?

Yes - instate. Hope your dd has good results in April!

S rejected from UVA. While not shocked, I was thinking he had a real chance. He really liked the campus, and feel. Oh well, on to next decisionā€¦

Congrats @LoveTheBard Rooting for the Full Tuition!!!

Congrats @Ynotgo Hope the box contains something very very exciting!!!

Congrats @crazym0m @twoforone99 for UVA!!! Hugs to your S @BigPapiofthree !!!

D was in UVA as well. However as an OOS, the chance of her going is not all that great without merit scholarships.

D received the Rutgers HC invitation today from CoE and Business.

Congrats to you al with good news today, @BigPapiofthree cruddy news, but your smart son will be fine, hope he gets over this little speed bump.

@BigPapiofthree Wow! Iā€™m shocked! :frowning: Sorry! Admissions is so crazy everywhere this year.

Congratulations to all receiving good news!! Special congratulations if you were nominated for a USC (Cali) scholarship! D15 is a ChemE sophomore/Presidential at USC and is having a great experience. Your good news brings back wonderful memories!!

If USC is a contender for you, I recommend paying the housing deposit and select the honors housing as first choice. If I recall correctly, it was only $50 or so for a housing deposit, and you arenā€™t required to formally commit to USC. Next year will be the first year the scholarship/NMF students will be eligible to live in the McCarthy Residential College in the brand new University Village complex. Itā€™s first come first serve and sure to fill up fast. If they are consistent with previous years, the honors dorm residents will be allowed to move in a day or two early. They have activities and a trip to the Hollywood Bowl for a concert.

I also strongly recommend that you attend the Explore session with your student. There are lots of opportunities for parents to ask questions and gather information. And your kids will be busy doing their own programming so they wonā€™t be there to tell you to be quiet. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.