Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Where we hoped she’d go - not alabama

Where she hoped she would go - not alabama

Where she is going - NOT ALABAMA

=))

i’m elebendy bazillion pages behind, but i just couldnt resist… >:)

Very mature decision @Collegecue

Congratulations!

@Fishnlines29 Yes we’re from the Bay Area. Columbia has offered to pay for airfare for her to visit again so she is most likely going to do that (needs to talk to principal as she has a lot of absences this year so wants to make sure school will excuse it). I personally love D.C. I think she would be happy at either school. They both offer great programs for her major. Both in great cities. I don’t have the official financial aid letter yet from Columbia but it appears it’s about $7k cheaper and Columbia includes no loans. So really it’s $12.5 cheaper. Of course we’ll also need to pay for travel but I think it will be similar between CA/DC and CA/NY. She has no qualms about living across the country; it’s been her plan all along

@collegecue I agree with @Stem2017. Very mature decision. I think he’ll be happy with all of his study abroad options. Best wishes to him!

@itsgettingreal17 , just think about how much your D grows as a young lady on the scholarship trips! I am so happy for you and your D!! Strategy brilliantly executed!!

Congrats on all the acceptances!! Hugs on those Waitlist and rejections. D’s future path to success is clearer with last night’s Harvard rejection and Waitlist on UPenn Fisher program. Yes, there were some ice cream involved. Onward and upward!

@mageecrew - Another opinion about Worcester - I transplanted to the general area a dozen or so years ago for DH’s job and have enjoyed watching some amazing things happen downtown. Right now Worcester is a pretty exciting place. The downtown revitalization includes business redevelopment, new hotels and apartments, renovation of old mill buildings, and an extension of the Blackstone Bikeway into the city, along with some very cool “grass roots” kind of neighborhood renewal (google Crompton Collective to see how one business has helped spur a great turnaround). Dozens of new restaurants have opened in the past year for all price points, many emphasizing farm to table dining. The Hanover Theatre has Broadway touring shows, comedians, concerts, etc. and they just renovated an adjacent building as a conservatory. The city has always had a hard time pulling all the pieces together, but they never stop trying.

Worcester has typical urban issues and can be a bit gritty in sections, but the WPI area is nice. If you need recommendations for restaurants, etc. during your visit feel free to PM me.

Huge congratulations to those who received great news over the last few days, and to those who have made final decisions and committed! We went 8 acceptances, 2 waitlists and 1 no with a transfer plan option. S is still on the fence but it’s nice to know the journey is winding down.

@firstwavemom Same here. Congrats on Berkeley! We are now down to two, Berkeley making it the second, but like DS put it only if UCB offers a decent merit scholarship (he cannot justify paying $60K a year for undergrad school). I booked our flights last night. It’s a one day trip across the country (cannot miss school) beginning of next week. Wishing everyone a speedy and productive decision making process.

@Collegecue

Big Blue Nation! Go Wildcats!

Congrats to all of the scholars with acceptances to the Ivies, Berkeley, GW, and other schools. Support to those who didn’t get the answers they wanted. Best wishes for those waiting on Stanford (or any other college stragglers) and for those hoping to pop off a waitlist!

And now, the deposit is paid…

D '17 has accepted the trustee scholarship and will be enrolling as a USC trojan! Honestly, I thought that this was one of the lottery scholarships. We didn’t visit until she interviewed for the scholarship.

She will be enrolling in a 5-year master’s program that targets an incoming cohort of about 10 students, so I feel like she will start with a connection to a smaller community within the larger university. The fifth year will be quite painful since it’s not covered by scholarship funds, but it is still the least expensive path to her master’s which is required for her career goal. If I can manage to keep saving for S’20 and D’17, it might even come out debt free!

Of course, her few close friends that know she got the scholarship are now lobbying me to buy her a car.

I think not.

I will let her keep driving the truck that has 264,000 miles on it.

I look forward to hearing about the decision processes going forward!

Mixing in the question from a few days ago.

Where she wanted to go when this started:
Vanderbilt

Where I thought she would be going when this started:
Pitt or Saint Louis University

Where she is going:
USC.

It wasn’t this linear. At times during the process, D’17’s “first” choices ranged from Stanford, Vanderbilt, Pitt, BC, and BU. In the end, she never applied to Stanford and declined a spot on the Vanderbilt waitlist within 3 minutes while standing in line waiting for a table for dinner!

I’m sure everyone else feels the same way, but the best part was spending time with D’17 and seeing her growth throughout the process. Confirmation bias at work here, but there was a really good moment of stillness sitting in the sun at USC; that moment when you can see your child happy somewhere.

I remained amazed by my children. I must have married out of my league.

As always, onward and upward!

I haven’t been here is awhile but just wanted to pop in with some congratulations!

@Dave_N Congrats on the decision! Wonderful!!!

@jmek15 Wow - that’s a great review of Worcester. Thanks! It sounds very similar to what’s going on in our city here in upstate NY. I love when cities that have fallen into harder times are able to turn around and revive/transform themselves.

Good luck with your S’s decision! Sounds like he was really successful in his search.

We visited WPI in February and I was really impressed by the school and the co-op and research opportunities. Alas, my kid is WL’d so it’s not gonna happen.

We found some interesting restaurant listings on Yelp and stopped by a Shawarma place downtown on the way home. It was a fantastic find. Great food with super friendly owner who went out of his way to make us feel at home. I would definitely go back next time I’m in the area (my other kid’s at Olin so I’ll be there sooner or later.)

@Dave_N Congratulations on your daughter’s scholarship and decision! What a great opportunity. USC has a beautiful campus - it’s a surprising oasis in the middle of a big city. I bet she’ll love the new USC Village - that looks really cool! Of course, we will be totally rooting against her new school on November 18th.

The universe gives a little and the universe takes a little.

S '14 named as an honorable mention for the Goldwater Scholarship. (Wrong thread, but you guys are always awesome.)

So close.

Onward and upward…

@Fishnlines29 She always wanted to go to school in NYC, that has been her plan since 8th grade. If it looks like his parents are on board with NYU she will visit Seton Hall and Manhattan college. She also got into Sarah Lawrence which is a bit further out, and I love the vibe of the school, but they didn’t give her enough money to be viable. Manhattan and Seton Hall were both generous. NYU and Fordham were a stretch for her stats, and as expected she was denied. Mom and Dad would much prefer she stay in California and go to Cal Poly, and I still think that’s probably what will happen, but I feel like we need to let her figure it out. We’re going to accepted student days at Cal Poly next week.

@socalmom007 The first time we visited Cal Poly was when we were scouting schools and accidentally scheduled our visit there on accepted student’s day (the Friday of those days). It was a great, very happy vibe at the school. Hope she likes it for all your sakes.

I love Cal Poly! I wish we could afford to send my daughter out of state to go to school there. SLO is one of my favorite places!

S was waitlisted at CP-SLO. That was a bummer. It could have been a great California experience for him.

@MSHopeful We have the same issues with absences this year, but if they’re paying for it, I would push it, especially since another 50K is nothing to sneeze at! Both cities are really great though, so I’m excited to hear what she decides.

@SincererLove Sorry to hear but I love the ice cream for rejections, I think it really DOES ease the pain! Of course your daughter has excellent choices hopefully now she can really hone in on what she wants.

@Dave_N Congratulations on the commitment! And I enjoyed the process, with my kid and everyone here as well. Congrats on USC and the 5 year masters, sounds like a great path.

@socalmom007 I will say Seton Hall to NYU is not that close, probably a good 1 1/2 hours door to door (assuming train/walking scenario). Driving, probably a good hour and not cheap for uber/taxi scenario. Although come to think of it, Manhattan college is probably not that much shorter of a distance! Could be a good hour getting there too. Well, it’s good she’ll get to visit each college again!