Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@Dave_N dont know if i missed it or don’t remember, sounds like your daughter is going to USC right? Congrats that she’s made a choice! USC is one of our final 2s, but he hasn’t made up his mind and is running out of time fast!

I’m am feeling left behind with all of the progress you are all making committing, buying bikes and dorm stuff. It makes me realize that he should really.decide already! However I am enjoying learning all of the next steps necessary and I am happy and excited for all of you! :slight_smile:

@IABooks Thanks for pointing out that the notary has to be from AL. I need to look at the SC form. I guess we could try to find a notary when she goes for orientation. ($220 for orientation, btw, seems over the top.)

$220 for orientation is cheap compared to what we paid.

@Mom2aphysicsgeek our son signed health care POA for our home state and the state where he goes to school. It really is a good idea for all unmarried adults to have this paperwork in place given HIPPA rules.

I have emailed him a digital copy that he keeps in his photo favorites and I have one as well.

@socalmom007 My kids don’t have my credit card numbers memorized, but they sure do know my Amazon Prime password.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice about credit cards for travel abroad. D15 will be in Rome for a 7 week summer program then traveling for a couple of weeks after so finding an option with no transaction fees has been on my to-do list. @rightcoaster please share if you find any affordable phone options!

Good luck to all those traveling to accepted student days in the next few weeks!

My D17 has an eidetic memory when it comes to numbers. She has all of my credit cards, all of my passwords, all our family and friends wifi passwords memorized. She could be an evil genius, I should probably watch myself, she could wreak havoc on my life :))

How the heck do you do a move in via airplane? We won’t be—anything that needs to be bought for the dorm, we buy in Pennsylvania. (We’ll be on the east coast about a month before orientation for a family reunion, so we might buy some stuff then and stash it at my sister-in-law’s house, but probably not.) D17 will bring one large suitcase of clothing, but that’s pretty much it. The heavy-enough-for-here winter coat will stay at home—we figure we can bring it to the airport when we pick her up for winter break.

Credit cards: D17 is not yet 18, but she is an authorized user of my Delta Amex and my wife’s Alaska Airlines Visa—that way she has a way of making emergency purchases, we get informed of any purchases she makes, and we get a few extra miles. She doesn’t plan to get her own credit card until at least a couple years into college.

Speaking of credit cards, foreign transaction fees: More and more cards are dropping them—Alaska Airlines’s Visa, which is administered by Bank of America, dropped them about a year ago (right after I took a trip to Europe, by the way), and Discover (not widely accepted outside the United States, but where it is it usually does business as Diner’s Club) hasn’t for several years now.

More on foreign travel and credit cards: Credit cards are much less widely accepted many places than in the USA, and whereas in the USA if Visa is accepted somewhere Mastercard is also, in most of the world they’re on entirely separate networks and you actually need both in your wallet. (I usually just withdraw a bunch of cash from an ATM when I get to my destination, though.)

Health care paperwork: We’re starting to pull everything together (for a May birthday). The plan is to have her out of school the morning she turns 18 so that we can go to the local Kinko’s and get the ones for Alaska that need to be notarized notarized, and sometime this summer (either while we’re out that way for the family reunion or right before orientation) to draw up any needed for Pennsylvania that aren’t covered by the Alaska ones. (Still need to research whether there’s any need for that.)

Goodbyes: D17’s orientation week comes while I’m locked onto my campus with various administrative meetings and such (it’s the week before D17’s classes start, which begin the same day I start teaching), so my goodbyes’ll be at the airport. Probably no tears there—neither of us are into big public emotional displays. My wife’ll be traveling there with her, though, and she is subject to big public displays of emotion, which might well start D17 crying. The goal for both of us, though, is to make the moment of parting relatively brief and clean.

@dfbdfb Guess what? The HNCBH has just been renamed to the (something something something) Randall Research Scholars Program. :slight_smile:

They heard you complaining @dfbdfb :smiley:

So someone explain this health care power of attorney thing to me, my D17 won’t be 18 until December. Do I have to do anything?

Just reading the posts about poa for health care now. D17 turns 18 in May. Is there a good site to start the research on what forms are needed? She hasn’t made her final college choice yet…do they typically provide information?

Know what is more stressful than worrying about how to move them to college? Ds is taking the physics GRE tomorrow! Know why that freaks me out? Bc I am even thinking about it!! I told myself I wasn’t even going to think about his grad school applications next yr, and yet the stupid GRE tomorrow keeps creeping into my thoughts today.

Ugh! I do not want to go there! I think I am going to out him on mute every time he talks about grad school apps!

@Mom2aphysicsgeek my opinion is parents should not be involved in grad school admissions. I kinda got shouted down on that on another thread, but in recalling the process when I did it my parents were involved in no way at all.

@vickisocal I have no intention of being involved. I know he doesn’t expect me to be involved. He is definitely 100% on autopilot. I just don’t want to even think about it. I don’t want to get that nervous stress of wondering where he will end up. I just want to be blissfully ignorant, and then one day he can say, “Hey, mom, guess what I am doing next yr?” :slight_smile:

@socalmom007 and @karnmom It’s a good idea to get a healthcare POA signed by your 18+ child giving you access to medical information and the ability to make medical decisions on his/her behalf if something horrible should happen and they are not able to give permission in light of the HIPAA privacy rules. I have to run to a meeting in a minute, but there is plenty of information on this site and others if you do a quick search. There are horror stories about injured/ill students and the parents not being able to get info from the medical staff treating them.

Some advise getting POAs for both your home state and the state the child’s college is in if they’re different. You can get free forms online, but get them signed, witnessed, notarized and then scanned so you have immediate access if needed. (Your student does the signing and permission granting, and can limit it so you don’t have access to information about STDs, drug or alcohol related incidents, etc. if that’s a concern.) You can file it with the student health center or other medical providers as well. My D got hers after she went to college and the student legal office helped her do it for free in about 20 minutes.

Son17 is relieved that another semester is in the books, and only 1 more to go! He has been doing better in Calc, but his AP Stats is sucking the life out of him. He really doesn’t enjoy that class much. We thought he would love it, LOL.

Maybe its just me but I feel like tacking on a $300 orientation fee is petty. I don’t remember paying an orientation fee when I went to college or graduate school. We had student volunteers who organized the events, the various clubs put out booths and had sign up sheets and the school hosted a big barbecue cookout for the day with banners and balloons…

@VickiSoCal - No way, I am giving up my involvement in DS’s grad school apps, given that we may to finance $50-$90K/yr :slight_smile:

@VickiSoCal totally agree with you that grad school should not be about parent involvement. I also don’t think parents should be funding grad school. This isn’t undergraduate. There is funding out there. Anyone doing a science PhD should be fully funded or not go.

@Mom2aphysicsgeek don’t worry, GRE isn’t that important for grad school admission. Grades and letters much weightier. My husband was just telling me his hardest academic decision was Stanford or Cal Tech (chose Stanford–good thing or we would probably not be married!) and his GRE was not very good.

S 14 will be applying to grad school for a science Ph.D next year. Depending on what you mean by “involvement”, I’ll have some to none.

I expect he’ll tell me where he is applying and what his results are. I’ll volunteer and be rejected for proofreading his “Statement of Purpose” or “Research Interests” or whatever they are called. He’s done all of this for summer research and national scholarships with decent results. I’ve encouraged him to take practice GREs but don’t know if he has.

I’ll be rooting really hard that he gets in somewhere he wants. I suspect that will be my main level of involvement.