Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Hard to believe its been a year since I posted here. How time flies. Last post in this thread for me was about spring break 2018. My daughter didn’t have a spring break this year because she has an internship this semester that will run through June and they didn’t get a break. She loves the internship (one of only 2 sophs of about 30 total). Still lives in her dorm so she can keep up with her campus friends/activities. She elected to use her scholarship this semester so school is paying her room/board allowing her to pocket pay from the internship. And in something of a pleasant surprise, because she is not taking any classes (other than a 1 credit internship class) the school refunded the tuition portion of her scholarship. She will have to pay taxes next year but the net goes into her grad school fund.

We went to see her over the weekend. She is very happy. Many different groups of friends and activities. Smaller core group of close friends and others she socializes with less often. No bf that is ever mentioned anyway. She would tell my wife even if she didn’t tell me. Classes scheduled for next year (taking some type of biology class with two of her friends). Doing very well in her classes so far. Housing lined up for next year (I think it was in the works at the end of last year). She has a research project with a professor that will start sometime this summer (depending on how housing will work). So she will only be home for about 3 weeks.

Hope everyone is doing well with kids accomplishing great things.

Anyone thinks our kids wouldn’t have gotten to the schools they had if they had applied this year! Seeing some of the disappointment on Vandy board is disheartening!

D will be interning in Charlotte this summer and she is trying to find a summer sublease. It seems incredible that a nice apartment in Charlotte is only $600 a month or less. Almost 50% cheaper than PA and Nashville!

@STEM2017 How about not reporting GPA? I am recently recruiting for an open position. That is my conclusion…I think you don’t include if you are below 3.5. If interviewerrs ask, you can say the 3.3 and 3.5 respectively.

@HiToWaMom ,besides the preppy type, D was turned off by kids with bad spending habits and guys who love to spend money from their parents.

@saillakeerie , welcome back!!

@SincererLove I know my kid would have gotten in her school, even this year. Of course, she wouldn’t have gotten as much merit as she did, and might be attending elsewhere…but she would have gotten in. :smiley:

@SincererLove $600 for a month? Incredible. NYC is also about two times more and it’s a school’s summer housing!! If she works for school, she gets discount but since she will be working outside of school, she cannot get the discount.
Aaaah, I’m jealous!! I’ll go buy seeds for money trees.

Our 2 boys went back to school this week after the break. Getting any info from S17 is challenging, but we were surprised to hear that he felt stressed last quarter. He’s pretty drama-free and normally unflappable, so it was surprising to hear him admit that. Not particularly surprising that he was stressed though since he had 20 units, which included some for a research position that he was at most days until 6 or 7 pm, making for long days. He’s taking fewer units this quarter, but a CS class should keep him busy. Playing piano on the weekends in the dorms is his outlet. We’re just glad that he dealt with it all well and still enjoyed his experience.

An internship opportunity might materialize for D17 in Oceanside, California. But the company doesn’t provide housing support. We are very unfamiliar with So. Cal and are wondering whether it is a safe place for a young girl to go live there by herself for several months? Is it easy to find a furnished rental there, and also, can she manage without a car? TYIA!!!

Welp, it looks like we’re hardly going to see D17 at all this summer! She just found out that she got accepted to a 4 day commutative algebra workshop at Notre Dame at the end of May - housing and a travel allowance included, which is nice. And her grant came through to allow her to pretty much spend the rest of the summer on campus doing research with one of her math professors. The only break will be in July to go to Iceland with her geoscience group.

That leaves us with only about a week or so having her at home. Wah! Part of me is wondering how the girl who was so ambivalent about even thinking about college that I wondered if she was going to need a gap year to grow up a little, has turned into such an academic busy bee (and apparently pretty good at applying for grants!) in only 2 years. It’s been a remarkable change, and seems to just be snowballing at this point. As she’s my first, I wasn’t really prepared. (this is where I miss our extensive emoji selection of old so I could post a series of weeping but proud smilies haha)

@whataboutcollege Oceanside is going to be challenging without a car. And housing will be $$$$

Thank you! @VickiSoCal

My D17 lost her iPhone!!! Aaaaahhhh, why is she always causing problem!!! Why everything she does cost so much compared to her big sister?? Aaaaahhhh. She can be very careless and that causes lots of dramas! She never gives us the tranquility of the empty nesters! Aaaaaahhh.

Thank you for letting me vent. I would’ve been feeling better if I can use emoji…

Is it better to call the provider and cancel? I don’t want anyone to make international calls or to use her Venmo account!

Sounds like you should sign her up for insurance and let her pay the monthly charge.

We have insurance through T-mobile. Does that cover lost phone, too? I thought it was only for damage.

Idk. Never had it or made a claim under it. I would think it would but maybe not. Worth a call to T-Mobile though I would think.

@saillakeerie

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I just called T-Mobile and was told that our insurance will cover the lost phone!!

They temporarily suspended her phone so that whoever finds it cannot use the phone. They recommended to locate the phone first using the feature the phone has ( I forgot the name). Hopefully my D had set the feature on.

Anyway, I totally forgot about the insurance. I can sleep better tonight. Thank you again!!

It is called Find My iPhone and if it was just lost should work until battery dies.

It’s nice to read about all your amazing kids - or should I say young adults.

Mine made it official last week and declared as a Astrophysics Concentrator. She’ll meet with her departmental Advisor next week and select her classes for next Fall. She’s leaning toward Cosmology or Computational Astrophysics and plans to get a Certificate (minor) in Computer Science. When I made my very first post on CC in January of 2016 here is what I wrote as her interests:

So things change :smiley:

This Summer she’ll be going to St Petersburg, Russia for Russian Language studies. Most of the program fee was covered by her school and she’s earned the rest with her various jobs at school. She’s trying to figure out now when she can go see the ballet as that seems to be her major focus for the trip :smile: After that we’ll have our biennial trip to South America to see family.

I’ve got an S23 so I’ve got a ways to go before getting back into the college application cycle. We just went through the special admit high school cycle and fortunately he’ll be attending the same high school as D17.

@dolemite Congrats to your dd! Ds is loving grad school. I don’t understand anything he says, but something to do with theoretical cosmology is what he is studying. (CS skills will definitely come in handy!!)

@Dolemite That’s hilarious. If I were around back then, I think I would remember that initial comment. :wink:

@bigmacbeth -. The Big Mac was introduced in the Greater Pittsburgh area, United States, in 1967 and nationwide in 1968.

@srk2017 That’s interesting, but I’m not Big Mac Beth, I’m Big Macbeth. :smiley: