Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

My son has been at his summer job three weeks now and is loving it. His summer camp asked him if he wanted to be a counselor, they are really in need right now! He hated to say no but his job pays more and is directly related to vet school!

Anyone need a summer camp job in the hill country of texas I know of some!

He is registering for his vet school electives now. It is getting real!!

@momocarly is that Camp Longhorn?

@carachel2 No but we have good friends that went there!

Heart O the Hills (girls) and Camp Stewart (where my son went from age 6 to being a counselor - great experience!) got the go to open late and need more counselors. We have nothing but good things to say about both camps!!

@momocarly . Yes I thought it was Camp Longhorn. I have a friend who was a camp RN there a few years ago. Let’s just say the stories are…interesting!

@MSU88CHEng and @michiganbuckeye

Congratulations on the early graduations!! I’m sure it’s exciting to see where they go from here!

So Muhlenberg (finally!) announced their schedule: They’ll start 24 August (one week earlier than usual), have classes without any breaks through the week before Thanksgiving, have Thanksgiving week off, then have an additional week of online instruction followed by exam week (also done remotely, of course).

No word yet on campus housing aside from saying there will be built-in social distancing and they’ll treat students who are in contact with each other as social units (almost as families, really), and they’ll have methods of on-campus quarantining. It appears, though I am not certain, that final details will be offered on that on 14 July.

@Fishnlines29

Thank you! DD managed to find the best luck with about 40 resumes/applications sent, one company called & interviewed & she signed the offer letter today for her dream job. Now she will be heading to DC area for her first big girl job! So she will be heading there to look at apartments & be amazed at the huge COL increase after living in her college town very cheaply.

Both Virginia Tech (S17) and Penn State (S19) start classes on campus August 24. Both schools go remote after Thanksgiving break, including final exams.

Four of S17’s five classes at VT are virtual, all five are small senior level classes.

Three of S19’s five classes at Penn State are virtual, two are mega lectures.

I’m sure this will change (not for the better) by August 24.

The new normal.

My daughter is going back to Lexington a week earlier than normal. No fall break. Classes on Labor Day (was funny because she said she didn’t think they could do that but I pointed out to her that I have worked many a Labor Day in my life as have many other people). Coming home at Thanksgiving and rest of semester is online (finals online).

She could have graduate this spring but needs one more class as a pre-req for vet school. When Covid happened, she signed up to take that class online this summer at local community college. Was working on a research project but I am not sure what the status of that will be going forward. Plan right now is to sign up for an internship winter/spring semester and graduate in May.

But a lot of that is up in the air. Not sure how the fall semester will shake out. Has an off campus apartment so she will stay there with friends if they go to online classes.

@STEM2017 Good to see we finally got one of your kids to attend a Big10 school. Hope all is well (as much as it can be anyway).

@saillakeerie My Penn State merch is starting to outweigh my Virginia Tech merch, much to the chagrin of S17. But I must say, both places are absolutely beautiful, and lots of fun.

This is suppose to be the last semester for D. She went into college getting an degree in political science, but as she comes to the end, she feels like she made a mistake to some extent, and doesnt want a career related to politics now. She is thinking of getting a Masters of Social Work or even going into teaching (neither a high paying career), or possibly social media for companies. . She needs to find herself, and she overall was happy to be at GW, besides a pandemic and how they handled everything. We are still looking for a place off campus as the person she was going to live with changed their mind. She wants a roommate, but might end up with a Single. She plans on staying in DC after December and getting a job/full time internship for the spring. I hope she finds herself. Being home this summer has been challenging for all of us . GW decided to give the CARES money to mostly those with a very low EFC, and then left 4000 students to fight over the last 900 awards, all based on when the email arrived in their inbox. It “sold out” in 2 minutes. We are not happy. It took until last week to even get some of her summer clothes finally. Overall until March life was good and she had a great summer job and was working an internship in the spring (that ended when she came home). Will see what the future brings.

I can’t imagine attending a wedding or graduation that my spouse was deliberately not invited to attend. Do people actually do that? If so, may I ask why?

@sdl0625 My D also regrets her major (well one of them-accounting). She has no interest in being an accountant. Fortunately, a full time job in management/strategy consulting with a top firm will allow her to pivot later on. She’s also pursuing a possible grad degree in the humanities, but that will depend on full funding. 4 years is a short time to figure out what you want to do in life. My D is just now “finding herself” and realizing she no longer cares about making a lot of money.

Majors are, for the most part, only loosely tied to future career. For some career paths college majors are a gatekeeping device (e.g., many engineering fields), but why be disappointed in doing a major because that’s not what you’re going to work in? (As opposed to being disappointed in a major because you didn’t like it, which is a totally different animal.)

Blatant opinion: One of the worst things that has happened to higher education in this country is the idea (that’s become more and more widespread over that past three or four decades) that college study exists primarily if not solely to develop a specific career path.

I mean, even if you buy into the (ultimately harmful, but whatevs) idea that postsecondary education is mainly valuable for developing one’s career prospects, the crucial thing about postsecondary education in my view is that it teaches one how to learn. After all, most career-path learning will come from on-the-job experience; the important thing is that you’ve developed skills that will let you take advantage of that.

Kind of scary. Students are starting to return to campus.

My son and his apartment mates all moved into their apartment yesterday. His gf and her housemates moved into their house yesterday too. Now they are all settling in and getting ready for classes (virtual or in person who knows at this moment). He is ready to start vet school and has his room set up for studying, whiteboards, desk, chair, refrigerator, 64"tv (wait, what??). His gf is ready to be a senior and hear from med schools.

It is going to be an eventful year one way or another. They are staying there no matter what the school does. Good luck to all!

My son is currently working a co-op from 7/1 thru mid December. He has been working remotely. He just decided that he will not return to campus in the Fall, will just stay here in our safe bubble until he returns to class Jan 2021. Probably a safe plan, and it saves us a bunch of cash too, so I guess it’s all good. He has friends from town that aren’t going back to their colleges either, so he’ll have some friends around to hang out with on occasion.
He’s fortunate his co-op has panned out and he’s liking it. I think it’s a good lesson to learn to work remotely too, and do a good job. His last co-op was in the office 40 hours a week, so this is an entirely different setting for him.

Good luck to your kids getting ready to head back!

Accounting is actually a degree that can be helpful in many ways outside of being an accountant. Ability to read a balance sheet and understand finance is helpful with a number of different career options. Also will be helpful if you are every on the board of a charity.

With the speed of change, flexibility and adaptability will be keys to success for today’s young people. Not really harmful for us old folks either (just is tougher to come by for us stubborn mules). :slight_smile:

my D submitted her very last assignment today. Should be an official Graduate of GWU . for now working temporary jobs while she figures out what she really wants to do. I am ok with that. Told her that since she graduated early, we can support her still for another 6 more months while she works various jobs and figures things out. So no big 6 figure job for her, but we are so proud. Without Covid she would be in DC and likely have had an offer with some non profit. Now home and learning more about herself and what she wants.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 2).