Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

D19 is accepted to her #1, WVU, and if the aid package works out the way I think it will, we are done!
Now all she has to do is graduate high school. And not get any more Cs.

@Gatormama - congrats! My niece and nephew are there now. Niece is a bio (pre-med) senior and nephew is an English major sophomore. They have had great experiences. Nephewā€™s focus is journalism and he has had amazing opportunities on the student newspaper and an awesome summer internship at a newspaper last summer. Niece had a great research internship last summer.

Right now I would jump for joy if I saw a C. S has not dropped AP Stats. He said he was going to a few weeks ago but then didnā€™t. He has pulled his F up to a D. I spent quite a while last night trying to convince him to drop it but he really doesnā€™t want to now. He is insistent he will bring the grade up more. This kid is giving me gray hair.

Congrats @Gatormama

Yay. @Gatormama That must be a GREAT feeling.

Great news, @Gatormama! Congrats to her!

So jealous of those receiving acceptances!! Congratulations though!! Well I think my DS ruined any chance of being admitted to his top choice. He gave me his Apply Texas log in, and I was able to review his applications - he left off a couple of organizations for ECs AND left volunteering BLANK!!! They are already submitted!! OMG!!! I am sooooo mad at him right now. I think his only chance now is getting his ACT up 2 points on 10/27. I asked him why he did that, he didnā€™t have an answer. I donā€™t understand why he did this on his own? Why didnā€™t he ask someone to proof?? Now I can see why parents need to be involved completely. Ugh. I really hope he can redeem himself when he retakes ACT 10/27.

Yikes! @JaceyK Do you think he could call admissions with an explanation and get a chance to resubmit? Now might be a good time to have that 2 year CC plan talk with him. Good luck!

Congrats @Gatormama on the #1 acceptance! Hope FA comes through.

Exciting @eb23282 , my D has visits coming up in a few weeks. Love to hear how it goes.

@jaceyK If he really wants the school, have him in call and ask if he can amend his application. Mistakes happen. People press send accidently. My D actually wrote the WRONG SCHOOL in an essay to one of her top choices. She called, asked if she could submit a correction and they very kindly promised not to read the incorrect version. P.S. She still got in.

Congrats @Gatormama ! So exciting!

My S19 got his second acceptance this week. Small, well-regarded LAC that he really likes (and that has rolling admissions). This is in addition to the state directional. We are waiting on financial details for the LAC. But the NPC puts it in state flagship cost territory which is doable for us. :slight_smile:

Congrats @Gatormama !

My kid has reworked the Common App essay a half dozen times that I am aware of. She is terrified it isnā€™t good enough (honestly,2 of them arenā€™t, more telling about others than herself). She just asked if Iā€™m ok with the schools she already got into, because between the NPC and the stress of the Common App essay, she thinks the additional schools arenā€™t worth it.

Iā€™d be fine, because her #1 choice is high cost based on the NPC and the fact it is clear across the country. But, I hate to see her not apply if it makes her feel like she quit.

If she is really OK with the two she already has, I would give her the all clear. In fact you can let her know that you are proud of her for taking the finances into account. Let her know that she will be helping out the family. It may make her feel really good to be making a contribution.

Thanks @gallentjill . I just canā€™t tell if she really IS ok. I told her to prioritize a scholarship app that is due soon and make a final decision in a few weeks.

@longhaul that is a tough one. We had tears tonight over the CA essay and if mine had two schools already in the bag, I would happily avoid any more angst. Do you think her two schools are a good match for her? If so, I think Iā€™d call it a day.

@TwinMom2023 , I LOVE one of her acceptances, but we havenā€™t visited yet. I think Iā€™m questioning my approach to her simply because I love this one acceptance. I donā€™t want to be blamed down the road that I pushed her to my choice. This school I love wasnā€™t even on the radar until a week before she applied. Then we went to a local meet and greet and she loved the administration. I just believe the Universe led her to the perfect little school for her.

@longhaul that makes it even harder. Can you visit the one you love or get someone else to visit and give you a real sense of what it is like - neighborhood, dorms, etc? I donā€™t think sheā€™ll blame you for the ā€˜what ifā€™ thing though. Sometimes a mom just knows and I definitely believe in the Universe leading us sometimes. If it checks a lot of boxes and she is in that takes off so much pressure.

I guess I would give the essay a little break and try again in a few weeks. Most deadlines arenā€™t until Jan. for RD so there is plenty of time.

Honestly, there are nights when being an empty nester and not having to deal with college apps sounds lovely.

@Longhaul Dd is also finalizing essay, and is also getting comments about it being too much about ā€œothersā€. I am torn though. I read it and am like, yeah, this is what makes you special. Then I read articles about what experts think and feedback from family saying what about you. But then again, I am starting to question this thought process. Do we really need to make everything about ā€œmeā€? Also wondering if we ask kids to overthink the essay, to its detriment. Am now leaning towards she wrote it, it is honest, no major grammatical mistakes, just let her send it :slight_smile:

Congrats @Gatormama and all the other kiddos getting early acceptances! Way to go!

More details to follow later after I talk with her, but I wanted to share a text my D sent to me at midnight of her overnight at choice #1ā€¦ ā€œI love collegeā€. And this coming from the kid who wasnā€™t sure she even wanted to go to college.

@eb23282 I was hoping you would send an update :slight_smile: What wonderful news! Must be a special place and great kids she is with!

A reminder as we get these treasured acceptances - get a hold of @eandesmom and get the link to the Google Sheets doc to fill out results!
I know how helpful the 2017 results were to me, and I really want to pay it forward. But itā€™ll take all of us to give the parents coming behind us useful data.