Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

@skieurope Yep, I just found this article which backs up what I heard.

Your D could retake the AP psych exam this semester if it’s offered. She may be just done with it, but the retake is an option. Just FYI.

@MIP750 Really? I didn’t know that was an option! Although they didn’t finish the whole curriculum last year, and the test was shortened. I’m not sure how to deal with that.

1 Like

@srparent15, D is also taking E&M this semester. Teacher is way behind and will not get anywhere close to material covered. D will need to self study. If your son can recommend any videos, people on YouTube, etc. If would be very appreciated. I have not found any worthwhile resources on Amazon.

I think A- or a B+. One of them needed a 5 on AP Chem badly, because her school the Chem class is horrendous and everyone said if you had to do anything get a 5 on that exam and don’t worry about Physics. So she did not study for either Physics exam at all. The other one, didn’t need the Physics once she decided to go away from STEM into Business, so was kind of like, whatever. She didn’t take Chem. But they also both had AP Stats that year and did well on that one, which was more relevant for the one in the non Stem. My oldest had already decided not to go to college by then but still got a 5 on Mechanics. That teacher was horrible and just retired so my current HS senior has a different one, but with it being all online, I think a lot of the onus is on him.

@everygreen5 Purdue is today at 5 CST although there is speculation now that some can tell their decisions.

@H0llyw00d Yes, it does seem to be that we are in some of the same ones. Mine is interested in CS. Mine for whatever reason acclimated to remote fairly well. He opted not to take the AP Spanish exam last year once he found out it was only going to be speaking. He only was in Spanish 4 Honors, but our school advises if you’re not taking AP Spanish as a senior that it’s worth taking the AP Exam because you can usually earn at least a 3 and many schools take that. However, one of my kids didn’t speak at all during it, still managed a 3, lol (we laugh to this day), and this one said he’s bad at speaking so if it were all speaking, forget it. So he lost out on that. His others were Calc BC and APUSH which our school was really good at advising regarding tech and what to do and not to do, and I don’t think anyone had any issues, or if they did very few. He found the tests to be really easy, although the other form of the BC test apparently was a joke compared to what his had and the teacher couldn’t believe the differences. They were fortunate they had already gotten through all the BC material, but not the APUSH because they go out of order and it bit them that the teacher then had to rush a unit in but fortunately she was able to. It was hard in that regard, especially with a lot of unmotivated students. This year, add in senioritis with kids, and less class time during remote, so much is on the students. He pushes himself hard and wants to do well and they’re already starting to review for them, but not sure they will really be ready. I guess it is what it is. He isn’t taking the courses for credit, but more for fun.

As for Psych, I think that is one of the harder ones. It’s a lot of material. My oldest took that class and it was a lot of memorization. I don’t remember what the AP Exam was like as none of my others took the course but it’s definitely a tough transition and she will definitely have some advantage if she retakes it. Similar to mine with the Physics.

1 Like

If she wants to do it, she could us one of the AP exam self prep books. I’d check the colleges’ catalogues first to see what sort of credit they give and what classes they waive for AP scores. Some schools don’t even give credit (or only give elective credit) for APs.

2 Likes

Wow I didn’t even know about this. College Board also released a catch up guide for classes that are behind in coverage. Great news. My S’ school requires all AP students to take the exams.

4 Likes

I’ll ask my S as well. His class just wrapped up their E&M unit with a test that had my typically physics-loving kid incredibly stressed out. I think there are a few online resources he’s used in the past to help with certain concepts.

1 Like

Did College Board decide if exams are virtual or in-person?

At this point, in-person if the school is open. Whether that changes

1 Like

Thank you!

I just messaged you!

1 Like

Our school system postponed going back to in person until at least February 16th. They said they have had over 1,300 requests from parents of high schoolers to switch to virtual only since January 4th. D21 went virtual for Spring and is glad as she might have had 20 days in person.

I wish D21 could skip the AP Lit exam- she doesn’t need it and learned little. There are lessons up for each AP class that could be helpful to people. Our teacher said nothing about them. The exams are going to be more of a mess this year than last.

The best resource I think is to listen to YouTube videos from the collegboard’s lesson they did during the pandemic.

1 Like

My daughter used the collegeboard youtube lessons last year after her teachers stopped teaching, especially for Biology, and she did very well on all of her tests.

I think the good news is that our kids will have their schools picked out and can look at their AP credit charts to see what is important for them. I think it’s likely that two of my daughter’s won’t mater for credit.

2 Likes

Here’s an article with some application stats:

-Common app: 15% year over year increase in apps as of Jan 5, but lower growth for low SES, first gens

-California State system apps down 5%

-NYU received over 100,000 apps(!)

-FAFSA filings down 10.8% year over year, as of Jan 8

3 Likes

In the above article unique common app applicants is up 8.3%.

2 Likes

I don’t even know how a school deals with 100,000 apps. Either a big chunk of those are kids who clearly are not admits or acceptances are going to be really random. March is going to be very interesting on CC.

3 Likes

I am sure they have hired (and trained) many external application readers. With that said, I agree that outcomes will continue to be unpredictable, especially with the more selective schools.

We all have a front row seat to this year’s madness!!

6 Likes

I’m not digging the idea of D’s app being read by a trained part-time reader. I wouldn’t think they’d be very invested in the outcomes. Hopefully none of her schools will do that! It’s crazy enough that some of the AOs still look like they are in high school and it’s nerve wracking that seniors’ decisions are in their hands!

7 Likes