Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

S21 also accepted into Purdue CS OOS

16 Likes

The genre is not in my book-reading wheelhouse, but I enjoyed the series.

2 Likes

Merit at Purdue?

That great and huge scholarship. As I mentioned earlier post a beautiful campus, nice weather and easy for you in Chicago to get to with direct flight I assume to Greenville. Congratulations to your daughter

2 Likes

No merit, unfortunately, they’re not known to be all that generous with merit for OOS students, especially with competitive majors, but it does look like a few kids got $10k which is phenomenal! So anything is possible.

Fortunately, they are at least not one of the pricier public Universities and no planes needed if this winds up in the running, so that saves a lot as we’ve seen over the past 1-1/2 years!

1 Like

Another Purdue acceptance! D21 for Engineering. It’s at the top of her list but since no merit, it’s not a done deal.

20 Likes

Yes I think so too.

With Georgia Tech, USC, UT-Austin and UIUC decisions coming out in the next 2-3 weeks, kids will have even more options in hand.

4 Likes

S21 also accepted to Purdue for engineering! No merit, but he was very happy for this acceptance.

14 Likes

Wow! Congratulations to you all! This has been a great day on CC!

D21 had two acceptances this week:
Furman with $35k Townes Scholarship
Rhodes with $32k Presidential Scholarship and is a finalist for $35k Cambridge.

Edit: Corrected misunderstanding about stackable scholarships.

27 Likes

Unfortunately, UIUC doesn’t come out for another month yet. Most of his friends didn’t apply to UT, he didn’t like his program there, so he also passed on it. USC will only do the scholarships soon and main admittance will be in March, also not where our strongest engineering kids look at, and I think GT RD is late March also and very few from our school apply there. A lot will be waiting for Michigan in the next few weeks, and Illinois in the next month, and then what falls in late March mainly. Some also to Wisconsin that prefer that over Purdue, although not on our list at all.

We think at least 7 (all boys so far) were accepted to Purdue, all CS or Engineering. I’m sure we’ll hear about the girls soon enough and others. Crazy though.

Purdue a great school and I understand great CS program. So congratulations to your son

1 Like

I think UCLA gets about that much on average. They probably just hire more AO.

1 Like

Colleges are making $$$ off college app fees.

8 Likes

I find Reddit helpful, too!

2 Likes

@burghdad Thank you! Long road of decisions ahead of us, but it finally feels good to have a couple options now. Unfortunately, that also now put him back into the not wanting to do the Honors essay for Miami, :frowning: but maybe I can still work on him with that!

1 Like

It is really a good news! Congratulations!

Congratulations!

1 Like

Congratulations.

1 Like

So much great news to catch up on! Congratulations on all of the acceptances and big merit awards! Our 21s are cleaning up!! :tada:

I cannot get over the numbers of submitted apps at some of these schools! Over 100K at NYU? How many do they accept?!

@JanieWalker I’m glad you checked in, I was just thinking of you! Crazy news with your ex, but like you, I wouldn’t want to trade places! Hopefully it doesn’t bother your girls too much. I love your plans to reinvent yourself after your girls are settled in college. Fun to imagine the possibilities!

I will have to give Reddit another try. It overwhelms me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Super good news! Congratulations!