Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

There are two supplemental essays. They are due in March.

Great news! Congrats!

My D got the major change mail and she applied for Molecular biology as the first choice. But she did not get the other residential mail. Are you in state? We are from Mississippi. In my opinion the residential mail looks very positive and the major change mail is probably a bulk mail sent to everyone.

1 Like

I am trying to congratulate everyone for the acceptances and the college confidential is driving me crazy saying that it is not allowed and words have to be changed. So I am just saying it here: Congratulations for the acceptances, scholarships and the Presidential Scholarship!

6 Likes

Yes, in state.

My kid got the email about changing majors and she doesn’t even have capped majors. So I think they sent it to everyone.

3 Likes

Congrats to your D! Very impressive achievement.

1 Like

What is UT? University of Texas? Also, @homerdog, what’s Richmond?

Yes UT is UT Austin

1 Like

Huge Congrats to @mamaedefamilia That is incredible!!! Fingers crossed for her!

1 Like

University of Richmond

2 Likes

Thanks! First time I’ve heard of it!

1 Like

U of Richmond was one of our favorite schools we toured with D18. Unfortunately her scores were not quite high enough to get merit, so she didn’t apply. S21 is an engineering major, which they do not have there. We will revisit it with our S23 (hopefully.)

3 Likes

Boy, it’s been fun reading all the good Friday news! Congrats on all the Richmond admits, esp! I have friend whose son is there and having a great experience.

I know a few folks are still waiting for overdue decisions (looking at you, UT Austin and TAMU!) so hope those (good) decisions come in soon!

Any other non-Cali residents feel like they’re reading a foreign language when it comes to discussing UC apps? California really is like its own country sometimes, but please don’t secede b/c you bring a big cool factor to the union! Anyway, I never have much to contribute to those posts, but this is me offering support!

Happy weekend all!

16 Likes

Congrats to all who got good news yesterday! Add us to the UT purgatory, top 6.2%, in state. Not sure if I updated, but D21 got her admission to UCF finally and a lovely email from the NMF coordinator there. They are doing unofficial visits and arranging all the stuff they have in the past, just not paying for travel. We signed up for a UMASS parent info session online tomorrow. But I’m really hoping for UT to come through.

18 Likes

@mm5678 – Congrats on UCF admit!!

@mm5678 It is nuts what is going on with UT this year, well any year in how they do their acceptances, since they began accepting AA in September! But of course they had an increase in applications, and extended the application date past their normal Dec 1 due date without saying they’re extending the notification dates, and then they hold all rejections until the very end which isn’t fair for a lot of hopefuls who if OOS just get flat out rejected, or in state wind up capped or in pace. For the rejections, just do it so kids can move on. Lots of kids from our OOS hold out hope only to get them knocked down (which will be in the next week, by Feb 1). But the highs and lows of their admittance system are rough.

2 Likes

@AlmostThere2018 what’s the buzz at your son’s school with NC State? D has many friends who were deferred. I always cringe when kids tell me they want Animal Science/ Zoology. It’s so incredibly competitive. I thought maybe they would look beyond numbers this year, but it doesn’t look like it.

People always go on about UNC, but I think NC State is actually the harder school to get into. I have always been happy my kids didn’t have any interest in either- I’m not sure they would have gotten in!

UGH- I think we will find out that our state schools will have a huge uptick in applications. I hope kids applied to a ton of schools, because I think it’s going to be a bloodbath this year- even more than usual.

1 Like

@jeneric – His friends all applied engineering, I think. Our school seems to have had good outcomes with the EA cycle. Of those he texted with last night, all but one was accepted, and that one was deferred. I’m bummed for that kid b/c NC State is highest on his list. I really hope he gets in RD. It’s possible there are other deferrals he just hasn’t heard about yet.

This year’s seniors were in on the ground floor of a robotics team that did really well for a new team, winning statewide awards b4 all the COVID cancellations. So, that may have helped!

Did you hear that UNC this year is not doing deferrals for EA apps? It’ll be accept, deny or WL. Those decisions should be out anytime!

EDITED TO ADD: I’ve not seen application numbers for NC State – will be curious to know what level of increase they had. I think UNC reported a 10% increase in EA apps.

Yikes about UNC- this year’s class just can’t get a break!

There was so little help with college applications this year. Some of our kids had a new GC this year and then she was gone on maternity leave in October. Obviously, not her fault, but I questioned why she was given Seniors- they should have split them amongst the other counselors.

I really hope the kids have affordable admits at the end of this. I’m a little concerned about yield at all schools and it either being very over crowded or empty!

5 Likes