Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Agree VT concerned me when I read about lay offs and restructuring of majors. EDIT: I thought you all were talking about Vermont not VA :upside_down_face:

Also, do we know if 2025ā€™s are a larger or smaller class this year? Our school district has a senior class that is larger by 20% over last year.

@creaky in our district a homeschooled kid sometimes participate in elective courses, sports and ecs. There is a minimum number of classes they need to enroll in. So my guess is someone has seen the kid otherwise it must be a typo.

Thereā€™s more than 40 from CA for sure.

I think this is true. However, the nominations by the state education officer add quite a few as well. Iā€™m curious about how the whole process works. I first read that, in the end, only 1 girl and 1 boy are selected from each state. But last year, there were 2 girls and 2 boys from CA (aside from the students selected for the other categories). So, there must be a bigger initial pool selected in CA, I would think.

@purplemama ā€“ are you talking about Virginia Tech or Vermont? Just checking. I hadnā€™t heard about layoffs and restructuring of majors at Virginia Tech but maybe I missed it. Thanks for any info!

I donā€™t know how to post a link, but I googled it under Presidential Scholars. The top 20 boys/girls scores is how they set the score cut-off, then other groups can nominate kids, then they get 500 semi finalists, then more stuff happens to narrow it all down but I stopped reading. All I know is none of my kids were one!

2 Likes

Oh, goodness! I was thinking Vermont! :upside_down_face:

Itā€™s confusing. I grew up in the northeast, and we said UVM when referring to University of Vermont.

2 Likes

It does say on the website that they figure the cutoff for the first 40 and then anyone else who has that score also gets nominatedā€¦ so Iā€™m thinking if the cutoff falls at 1580, all kids who score that or above get a nomination. We are in MA and definitely have more than 40 too.

1 Like

@purplemama - I had a sense you might have meant Vermont!

1 Like

that must be how they do it. I mean we probably have a dozen or more 36s at our school alone.

2 Likes

@GetCollege19 Iā€™ve wondered this as well, but also have heard there are a lot of schools that are doing Pass/Fail with grades again this year, so what do colleges do about that?

Our school didnā€™t have pass/fail last spring or this year at all. The only change to our grades last spring was that the state mandated that grades from q3 to q4 could not be lowered. So, whatever a student had for q3 they could not do any worse for their final grade than that. That actually helped the lowest kids since they had the biggest room for improvement and could vastly improve their grades, Kids already at the top who had like an A- or B+ had less room to go up and couldnā€™t really go up that much because there were few new assignments given since schools were closed for a few weeks initially plus spring break, and they closed early and had no finals. So if you had an A you were in the best shape, and if you were a bottom feeder and cared about an opportunity to go from a C or D all the way to a B or higher it was easy. But regardless, everyone wouldā€™ve preferred to go in person.

Second semester, no changes to grades at all other than students who would have received a D or F instead earned an Incomplete and have to make up work to earn a C I think. Otherwise no accommodations were given. I donā€™t know if kids at the top did better, the same, or worse. Other than how my own kid did.

2 Likes

Our high school kids had regular grading scale this last semester and I think grades were pretty much distributed as expected for most kids. D21 did well even though the rigor was still tough (I could compare it to S19 since itā€™s almost all of the same classes and even some of the same teachers.) She had to work hard for her grades. D is very organized and self motivated and that was even more important this time since they were mostly virtual. Kids who struggled with online classes really saw drops in their GPAs. I tutor math and some of my students were struggling way more than usual. So, I would say a certain type of student was able to hold it together and still do well but the kids who really needed to be in school had a rough go of it.

4 Likes

The list for my state listed students in OOS private boarding schools with their in-state hometown.

There are more than 200 from my state nominated

1 Like

Hi all! Congratulations to all of the acceptances this week - things are really starting to move now. D was deferred from Richmond and accepted to Boulder. Boulder has been her top choice all along, but now that she got in she says she is not ready to commit 100%. :laughing: I know it is still her favorite and she says she is sure she will end up there but it is scary to make the decision. D19 did the same thing but I thought D21 would be different. The first person she face timed was her sisterā€™s BFF who goes to Boulder and not her sister so I think that is a good sign. :slight_smile:

Oh, and if any of you remember the store of D21ā€™s friend who I was helping with her college stuff, the one who was afraid she wouldnā€™t get in to any college, she is now at 1 rejection (ED big reach), 1 deferral and four acceptances including Boulder!! I am so excited for her. We donā€™t know how the finances will work out yet but what a great confidence boost.

Out of curiosity I just looked at the Presidential Scholar thing and we had the same situation with a kid nobody has heard of. I will have to look in the yearbook later but I have five girls here right now and none of them have heard of one of the people.

21 Likes

Oh that stinks. UT appears to be brutal this yearā€¦ best of luck on the RD apps!

@homerdog Thanks for the insight! I wondered and thought that too but wasnā€™t sure. This kid (my 4th) is in the same Senior courseload as my other 3, but it doesnā€™t seem like heā€™s had to do as much work as they had and hasnā€™t stayed up all hours like they used to. But, he has never been like that, so I didnā€™t now if it was that those teachers werenā€™t assigning as much, or if it was still just him. His grades didnā€™t change from any prior semester, so also hard to know and itā€™s not like I was going to go up to someone and say ā€œhey, what are your kidā€™s grades?ā€. Heā€™s my chill baby. It has made me worry that he wouldnā€™t be prepared for AP Exams but he let me know last week that he is ready and reviews regularly and to back off!!! So, I guess I will and youā€™ve helped reinforce that as well, so thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Kids in our district could chose either 1) a letter grade based on either grade as of when they ended in-person or through end of year or 2) pass/fail.

Wow, lots of work for those registrars!

Iā€™m surprised more colleges arenā€™t asking for 7th semester grades, or, maybe that is exactly why there seems to be more deferrals and less acceptances right now.

That would make sense.

I think it must be difficult for AOs this year because first applicant may have full set of grades + test scores + numerous ECs Freshman-Jr year before COVID (and maybe a number of them could continue post COVID in some form). Second applicant may not have full set of grades due to different district policies for COVID + be TO + maybe was just starting to get into ECs or their ECs were impacted by COVID (and wrote in COVID impact box they planned to do XYZ but couldnā€™t because of COVID).

How do you compare the two? It seems it would be easier to say yes on the first one with the ā€˜completeā€™ picture and I say ā€˜I need more time and informationā€™ on the second student. D21 is like first case and has received no deferrals nor rejections and the remaining one hasnā€™t released any decisions yet.

1 Like