Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Maybe!

Also, unlike Amherst, whose campus is self-contained on a hill, Williams’ campus sits along a couple of public roads. You can park on the street and walk around the periphery of the campus and along Spring Street, where you would see students when school’s in session. The businesses on Spring Street are considered part of campus and students are allowed to patronize them once they’ve cleared the quarantine period with 2 negative COVID tests.

I think the same too. With test optional/blind my daughter was worried and she wanted to apply for a lot more schools. She planned to apply for 31 schools in total. Once she got into one of her dream schools she stopped applying rest of the schools in RD.
I think each kid will have lot of acceptances and more kids in waitlist will be accepted this year.

3 Likes

I was wondering the same thing about the Presidential scholarship and the ACT because we know someone with a 36 who was not nominated.

For both SAT and ACT I suspect that they only look at single sitting scores, because the application specifies that the highest single sitting score be provided. Also, in the case of the ACT, I wonder if you need to get a 36 on each section, or at least on 3 of the 4 sections (so, a 35.75 raw score that is rounded up to a 36), in order to pick up the nomination.

I also think they must look at scores by state, so if you are in a state like California, you might need a 1590+ or “true” 36, while for another state the criteria might be a tiny bit lower.

There are only 4500 nominees across the country, and at least some of them are nominated on bases other than scores, but there are I think more than 3000 kids who score a “36”. My guess is that similar to the SAT, where probably only 1000-1500 kids at most score 1580+ single sitting, there are probably only 1000-1500 who score 35.75+ on the ACT. (And there is probably some overlap with these kids.) That might explain it.

1 Like

Thanks! I googled CA but their last letter was May 2019. There is an email so I called. His 36 wasn’t a super score. One sitting and all 36 with one 35, I believe. It wasn’t perfect 36 across all 4 areas.

1 Like

I checked the National list and there is one kiddo from S21’s high school. He got a 1590 and same 36 ACT score as my son. I think they were the only ones who got 36 out of the school. His gpa is higher than S21 (that kid skipped a couple of grades so he’s actually in his older sister’s year :)).

Thanks for the info. D21 has a 36 ACT and is not on the list but there is someone with almost the exact same name. There is one person from her HS on it. I looked at the application and it is a beast for essays. I’m planning on showing it to D and seeing if she’s interested and if she says yes I’ll call the # and inquire.

3 Likes

My understanding is that it’s based on the highest scores of 20 boys and 20 girls in your state.

1 Like

Just came across this article that explains how some colleges use “merit aid strategies” to entice students and parents. Financial Aid: Grades, Merit and Talking to Kids About Paying for College - The New York Times

3 Likes

It’s an interesting article, but I think a little too simplistic. It’s not just good grades, or taking difficult coursework that earn these big merit scholarships. There is a lot more to it than that, and suggesting there isn’t is misleading. I do think the article hits on an important point here:

"Lara Mordenti Perrault and her daughter visited over 30 schools. Her daughter wrote around 90 essays in pursuit of a full-tuition merit scholarship, which she eventually landed at Tulane.

*Ms. Mordenti Perrault, who lives in Bel Air, Md., told me that the irony was not lost on her that her research skills and relative affluence were a big part of what helped her family. “If you have money, you can get money,” she said."

I think, more often than not, relative affluence plays a role in the merit hunt. This relates, not only to research, but to ECs, test prep, paying private college consultants, etc.

10 Likes

I can’t help but wonder if maybe some of the deferrals didn’t have full set of grades for Junior year and maybe AOs want to see Senior year semester 1 grades?

1 Like

Re: Presidential Scholars: I looked at the list for our state and there is only one student from D21’s school and our town. What’s odd is that neither D21 nor her friends has any idea who this person is and this person is not in any yearbook. D21 and her friend group rank in the top 5%, so you’d think they’d know this person. Person is not a year younger or older. Home schooled students are listed as such, so it’s apparently not someone home schooled who lives within the school boundaries. We don’t get it. How can no one know this person?

1 Like

Are there private schools in. The neighborhood? We have a ton of kids who go to private k-12 schools and it’s possible our kids wouldn’t know them

It lists D21’s school as the school attended. The kids who are in local private schools are listed under the private schools’ names.

1 Like

Is it possible this student is someone who asynchronous in the sense that he/she does poorly in school but rocked the SAT?

1 Like

I just don’t know. Seems unlikely. Kid is not in any yearbook, going back to kindergarten. Unlikely to have had a legal name change. What gives?

2 Likes

Maybe a data entry error?

3 Likes

Some of the smartest kids in our area are homeschooled. Is that a possibility?

3 Likes

Yes, @GetCollege19, I have wondered the same. Especially if a student is test optional, they may want to see Fall senior grades given Spring junior grades were wonky most places. My S did submit a score to NC State.

Agreed. And sometimes, homeschooled kids are able to participate in a sport or other activity offered by the local school. Maybe this is a possibility?

1 Like