Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

I think test blind plus the internationals were not supposed to show, which would have made it easier for an OOS admit had that been true.

1 Like

@loveorangecats did she take summer classes?

Not yet. They just came out yesterday.

1 Like

Oh, thatā€™s true! She did take one this summer out of boredom since we were stuck in the house. Other than that , she has done, and will continue to do 4 per quarter, with 1 open slot saved up for her last term.
She was meticulous in her planning from before freshman orientation. No wasted classes, if that makes sense.

1 Like

Yes, thanks. Good to hear.

1 Like

Do the UCs have a cap on what percent of students they can take from OOS?

My S21s first choice for school was UCLA for a long time. We are in Massachusetts, but I am from CA and went to UCSB. He visited the UCLA campus twice precovid and loved it. I did try to explain the downsides of a large state university, but he still decided to apply (also to UCB which he was able to tour and UCSD which he wasnā€™t). In the end he was accepted to his other favorite school ED, so fate decided for him. Itā€™s probably a good thing tooā€¦ the fact that they went test blind and donā€™t take letter of REC for OOS students were a real knock for him since those were strengths for him and I think he likely would not have been accepted.

2 Likes

The last I heard, it was around 18%.

1 Like

So, with regard to the conversation yesterday about '20 freshman experiences, I had the opportunity to catch up with a friend of mine yesterday. Her S20 went to TCU. He had friends who went to a variety of highly and moderately selective schools. Basically, he had some friends who were remote and lived off campus, friends at highly restrictive privates, and friends who went to Southern more open culture schools. Some were very happy and some moved back home early. UW - one of each; Stanford unhappy, U Michigan - got kicked out of the dorm and had to rent an apartment in 5 days - kid likes it, mom had to spend extra, travel and adjust; UCSB - unhappy; Dartmouth unhappy because way restrictive. Generally the more open, the happier the kid. Keep in mind that her son is a popular, smart jock type and his friends are likely very social. A couple of the kids went to state schools and bunked up with high school friends because they couldnā€™t travel to see their schools. She thought that was a mistake since they were missing out on what her son was getting at a time when they really could have moved on.

At TCU not much testing, her son got it in October and tested positive for antibodies on Thanksgiving break. Heā€™s been hybrid with classes. Joined a frat and is quite happy.

6 Likes

Canā€™t edit for some reason. Quick PS that her S (As, 1500 SAT) did have some shock to the system at first but has adjusted. After the summer off, he found academically that it was fairly difficult in college. She attributes this to transitioning to a new envoirnment and all of the chaos of the situation. Food for thought.

2 Likes

18% for the ā€œbottom 5ā€ UCā€™s. Irvine, San Diego, Cal and UCLA already exceeded 18% at the time of the imposed caps and are capped at that higher %.

5 Likes

Iā€™d expect they might adjust by 1-2 students but I really donā€™t believe schools that say they donā€™t have a limit. Iā€™m in VA and UVA always says they have no quotas by school but if you look at acceptances in our schoolā€™s Naviance, every year they take 49-51 students, regardless of how many apply. So, yeah, they have a quota of 50 whether they admit it or not.

2 Likes

My S21 was deferred at 5 schools so we were on pins and needles waiting for his mid-year transcripts. His semester ended 1/15 and transcripts transmitted on the 26th. All this waiting is giving me grey hair. My question is will schools wait until the RD date to give him the word or will they decision him sooner since they have 7th semester grades (and thatā€™s all they theoretically were waiting for)?

So I know we are not experts but what would you do if you were the head AO given the fact that many kids are shotgunning and therefore may hold many more acceptances on May 1 than in years past? Will they admit their usual number and pull off the waitlist to avoid over-enrolling OR do they bump their initial acceptance numbers by a set percent? The thought of a long drawn out process going on through May, June and even July sounds soooo painful.

2 Likes

The overall UC numbers donā€™t surprise me but I guess I am a bit surprised that the unduplicated CA freshman applicants went up 13%. I thought most of the gain would be students who submit more apps than usual. Iā€™m curious who the CA students are (in a general sense) who normally would not have applied to a UC but did this year.

I guess itā€™s still the test blind bump of kids who normally would have just applied to CSUs? I would think even the tip top ivy bound students would still have but a UC or two on their safety list in previous years.

Gap year kids could be in there too I guess.

1 Like

This is depressing for a Californian.

6 Likes

Donā€™t know about decision data push back (UCLA does hire a bunch of external readers every year), but doubt SIR will be pushed backā€¦last year an AO said on a counselor webinar there was no way they could push back to June 1 because they would over enroll. Which does make sense.

Me too. I agree. Surprised by the increase by individual applicants. As I mentioned, D21 applied to more UCā€™s this year because of the uncertainty.

Conventional wisdom is that UCā€™s donā€™t allow gap years.

1 Like

I would rather go to a community college and transfer to a different university than ever got to Merced (or Riverside for that matter)ā€¦and Iā€™m an adult!

1 Like

deferred students find out their decisions along with the RD kids, not earlier.

1 Like