Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Well, a college on a bluff overlooking the ocean is appealing to a girl from freezing Chicago, that’s for sure. That’s how it originally got on the list!

The honors college is just 65 kids per grade. 5% of the class. That’s a pretty nice perk.

8 Likes

Congratulations for the awesome news!

1 Like

Congrats! Such a beautiful campus. Is there anything you would want to see? I bet a student or faculty could take you on a virtual visit:).

1 Like

As far as travel here, it is very closed but keep in mind Los Angeles and Santa Monica have nice weather so outdoor isn’t the worst thing. You can still walk around, get food to go (or outdoor dining is open tomorrow and hope it stays). Retail is open and the beach is open:) the campuses are open to walk around. I hope by March you will have a good sense.

4 Likes

Ugh! The news. I’m going into ostrich mode again.

Our cases are way down and my h was just about to book the short flight regional trip after being on the fence and now CDC doesn’t want anyone traveling.

2 Likes

Same. We did get several in last year. All legacies. Our best case scenario honestly OOS was waitlist and even though they took more than usual last year because of Covid we are ready for the waiting to be over so honestly glad that was not an option. The legacy benefit at UNC is huge.

Did cdc issue new travel recommendations? If so nothing we can do about it, D flies to school next week for start of second semester (same as many college students I assume)

1 Like

The CDC is always saying not to travel. That hasn’t changed and there are people on planes. D21 and my H and S19 are headed to Maine next week. We are going to start planning a late Feb trip to VA and NC. Planning on two masks on the plane and following the rules.

4 Likes

They are just urging no travel. I did also see a news ticker saying that the Biden administration is considering requiring Covid testing for domestic travel.

1 Like

I thought of you when I watched the news last night!!

@eb23282 There’s no way to know for sure why a school wouldn’t fill the whole class from ED but many schools are looking to build a qualified, diverse class. To do that, they likely are looking beyond full-pay ED.

1 Like

I think I’m becoming the official mascot of parents not handling this well. Lol. :upside_down_face::exploding_head:

The regional area just now lifted restrictions on indoor dining. Their cases are down too. We have N95 masks and H is vaccinated. I’m so torn about it. I’m a major rule follower.

7 Likes

Not at all! I relate to you and I’m a huge rule follower, too. (It took me weeks to stop feeling uncomfortable to freely travel up and down any aisle in our Publix grocery store after they no longer mandated specific direction patterns for each aisle.) :joy::mask:

2 Likes

Me too! Our saying is we want to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem, but sometimes it’s tough to know what is ok.

3 Likes

@homerdog I think I mentioned this early, but we tried to drive or walk through LMU this summer and it was closed tight. I have a feeling that if your daughter walked around campus and took in the view and the sea breeze she would be hooked, so it stinks that they can’t visit.

LA county rule is that you have to quarantine ten days. There’s no even an option to get a negative test. LMU’s website info looks pretty pessimistic about students going back at all this year. If LA could get to a point where we could use a neg test to visit and if LMU opened their campus even to self tours, we could go. I did have D email her AO there and ask if there’s any chance of getting on campus.

4 Likes

Sorry, what’s SIR?

I don’t think they are going to push back their decision dates since their alum scholarship email went out last week, which apparently is ahead of last year’s? I hope not anyway.

Statement of Intent to Register. It’s when you send in your registration deposit to your school of choice.

I think the term SIR is less commonly used outside of California, uncommon for privates

2 Likes

Thank you!