Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Oh wow, I deeply appreciate your help with this. Your daughter sounds amazing. Mine is really struggling with all of this, she is extremely shy. We have a dear family friend who is a Harvard alumna and very connected, and she has been begging to give my daughter an interview for Harvard, and my daughter just can’t bear it. I think it’s actually my daughter’s way of communicating that on the outside, she’d love to go to Harvard, but on the inside, she doesn’t. I figure if she is unable to bear an interview with a family friend, then Harvard is definitely not the right school for her.

3 Likes

Thanks

My S21 also accepted to Wisconsin (engineering) tonight! He’s happy about this one!

We’re down to six more decisions: 2 match, 1 reach, and 3 big reaches. But even if they all were ‘no’, he’s got really good options he’s excited about! Phew!

47 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Congratulations.

2 Likes

Yeah!

1 Like

We saw most of this the other day, but this article appears to have been expanded a bit https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2021/02/01/full-story-admissions-isnt-just-what-youve-been-reading

A potentially useful nugget for you all:

• Deadlines – outside of top colleges – are flexible. Some colleges are open about this, and others are not. But the reality is that for colleges that are seeking students, they are open to talking, even if they had a Jan. 15 deadline (and in all likelihood the Jan. 15 deadlines have vanished for most colleges).

My translation, if there’s a college your kid might want to add to the list and it’s past the deadline, it can’t hurt to ask!

9 Likes

By the way, something else I noticed is that some colleges keep their Common App open for submission well past the deadline. Most selective schools close them within a few days or a week or so, although they may grant individual extensions. I am making the bold assumption that if a school will still accept via Common App, then it can’t hurt to submit. Examples go as high up as UChicago (why is that not surprising), Tulane (same), Wake, Case, Fordham, LMU, DU, GWU - these were random ones I checked. If you fill out ALL of a college’s questions so that you get the green checkmark, and press Review and Submit, it’ll either tell you it’s too late or it’ll allow you to review and submit - can’t hurt to check. In my parent “practice account,” the ones that will still allow submission will say “you can’t submit because you have a practice account,” whereas the ones that are closed will say it’s past the deadline (caveat, as long as all questions were answered and you have the green checkmarks).

4 Likes

Rice just announced they will be test optional for the 2021-22 application cycle…and they’re pushing back the RD deadline to Jan 4th

Thank you! I don’t think we qualify for any but I had no idea! I’m sure that was very helpful for folks.

Love this group!

1 Like

That is interesting that they would announce the RD deadline so far in advance. My D is very interested in Rice and applied, but thinks it is a huge reach. She is more of a humanities/languages kid so I am not sure if she is their ideal candidate or if the different interests would help her.

1 Like

One of my S23 twins is very keen on Rice as well, I’ve been following them closely to see if the TO will continue for their application cycle. If the finances part works out and we can qualify for the Rice Initiative, I would feel comfortable letting him apply ED. He’s an all rounder, kind of quirky kid…excels at both Humanities and STEM and isn’t quite sure what he wants to do yet.

You are welcome! I think if anyone had a community service, you will qualify for Safran Family scholarship and MUSIC Matters scholarship Fund is really not for music, but given by Music matters, so most would qualify for these two.

1 Like

S21’s semester just ended. I imagine the mid-year report will go out in 2 weeks.

The school did send a mid-semester report even though they’re not on a quarter system.

2 Likes

Our school sent mid-year reports this week. Our first semester ended when Winter break started in Dec.

1 Like

Yes, Tufts has already announced they will be TO for the next two years, after which they will determine whether to reinstate a testing requirement or remain TO indefinitely.

I’ve read a couple of posts here about odd AP results from last year’s testing cycle. Given there is a good chance the exams will be online again this year, does anyone have any hesitation to have their kids test? Or is the consensus that the kinks will have been worked out this time?

What do you see as the downside to taking the AP tests? I figure by the time they get the results they will be accepted and planning their dorm color scheme.

3 Likes

Welp, UT decision finally in…S21 got CAP’d as expected. He’s least bothered lol. He knew it was reach and wasn’t totally sold on being a tiny fish in a very big pond.

Now if TAMU can just let him know we can make some decisions and move on with life.

I am sorry to hear, UT is such a tough admit now.

I hope you hear good news from A&M soon.

4 Likes