Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Wow, the new exam dates are going to be an issue. We are in CA so will do the at-home I’m sure, but the first at-home dates will go past the last day of our school year.

I guess we likely won’t have any senior events, graduation practice, etc. to have to contend with… but still. wow.

No one school will offer all three dates. Give me a break. I bet our school will just pick one set and that’s it.

1 Like

Our school will likely only offer the first one. The second is in the middle of final exams and the third is after graduation for the seniors.

2 Likes

I’m guessing it may be an easy decision for some schools. D hasn’t been in a classroom since March (we’re in CA), so it will be at home. And, the third set includes graduation, so I will be very surprised if they don’t choose the 2nd administration.

1 Like

I don’t think I am going to have peaceful summer with AP test for my students hanging on my head. And seniors who has to graduate won’t have any peace as well. I just wish that this pandemic disappears magically.

3 Likes

It’s interesting that this year it says AP tests can’t be taken on phones…weren’t students able to use phones last year? If digital requires a computer or tablet that presents a significant access issue for some school districts.

1 Like

I hope my school does it. But they the say digital exams are given is different from the day paper pencil exams are given and the digital exams are given later.

I mean the day digital exams are given

Good Grief! My kids’ school better stick with the first administration - they brought the seniors in for an SAT even though the school is closed - they can bring the remote kids in for a paper test in May. The second administration is during finals and the third is almost three weeks past graduation.

1 Like

I call BS on that one. Not you, but it’s a cop out from the school board (which is exactly what I expect here too).

They require it from the kids. Ask your doctor if people at the hospital are required to get vacinations. The answer is yes. Lots of them in positions that are less constant close contact than a teacher.

Now it may be that they are afraid that some teacher or union will sue them and say it is not necessary. I feel pretty good that the school would win, because it is not really a bigger leap to call that a public safety issue than hospital workers. But I also know they won’t want to spend the money to litigate it. That will probably be the big issue. I hope they at least threaten to require it so the anti-vaxxers have to out themselves when they complain. And at this point, I am rapid moving towards wanting to see everyone who won’t get the vaccine get sick.

2 Likes

I hear you on not wanting to get in litigation. Add to that a relatively higher potential risk of being sued for requiring a vaccine that ‘only’ has EUA and not full FDA approval.

2 Likes

Total agree with your assessment regarding college’s yield protection. Like @AlmostThere2018 's S21, my daughter was also got deferred by Case. We had a chat with our daughter and decided to withdraw from Case, even though she likes Case at the beginning. She already moved on from Case and avoided a potential “waitlist” or “reject” as part of their yield protection practice.

1 Like

Our poor urban district has given tablets or laptops and wifi hotspots for all students this school yr. Technology access was was an issue last yr, but I hope all districts have that issue resolved by now.

6 Likes

I would be ok with my school doing paper exams, it would be easy enough to space kids out. But, the numbers are going down now, what if there is a big spike right before or a batch of teachers getting COVID?

I think my school’s only option is virtual, but who knows. It will be interesting to see what they choose. Our school year ends the day before the last batch 2 test. I’m thinking many students will opt out of taking them if it is the last week of school - and then all the teachers have to figure out finals for the kids taking AP tests…

This seems to be even messier than last year. I don’t know why they aren’t doing a virtual option the first session.

2 Likes

The Ivies and Stanford have already pushed back to May May 3, and the Ivies all pushed Ivy Day back to April from March also. But, in general, there is no reason why anyone has to have 2 deposits down beyond the May deadlines. You put 1 down and if you’re waitlisted somewhere you then switch but seriously I think that is horrible that any person would hold 2 spots when there are so many kids that are in limbo and really may want one of of those spots.

And I agree with your assessment, not just be a good human, but be a human period and not hog 2 or more spots. Do the moral thing and parents should also teach their kids right from wrong. There is absolutely no excuse why someone needs to hold two spots. If they haven’t visited, then get that visit in, do what they need to, but either sh*t or get off the pot. Not a lot is going to change to make much difference for those kids that do that.

Last year, tons of seniors had to make decisions as well without ever seeing the schools they picked. Guess what, that’s life and it doesn’t always work. I see it on the parent page now at my daughter’s school. They did such a great job first semester that so many kids are now coming in person for second and the number of parents saying this is the first time ever their kid is coming to campus is astonishing. They’ll live. And if they don’t like it, then they will transfer. Nothing has to be permanent.

8 Likes

I’m not condoning it and we won’t do it but people double deposit in this time of uncertainty because Covid could change a school’s plan. If one double deposits, it could be a bit of an insurance policy. If one school goes back on their plan and keeps kids at home or virtual and the other does have kids on campus. Then you can choose the one with the better plan closer to fall.

2 Likes

Our district finally agreed to open and the teachers are getting vaccines in tandem with the district working with Walgreens. However, if teachers refuse to come back in person then they cannot get the vaccine through the school. The union agreed to that. No HIPAA violation there.

My son is less concerned about getting it from a teacher, although plenty of them are worse than the students, but more worried about the seniors who go out partying on a daily basis. I work in a school and they’re open in a ehybrid setting at 50% capacity and doing a great job. Thrilled to have gotten the vaccine last week and honestly don’t know why anyone wouldn’t. People need to do their research on it, and read the side effects and risks as there are very few. But to each it’s own.

2 Likes

I get it, but that’s not how it works or life works! If someone is worried about that, then they should really just roll the dice and defer their admission and take a gap year. Look at all the kids that did a gap year this year and now will have to go in the fall and some may still be all remote anyway. Look at all the schools that announced they were going in person, then in August said “oops change of plans” and never did. Can’t predict the future, so people will just need to make a decision and move on.

Housing is the real issue. I can’t imagine having a roommate arranged and then blowing them off for another school. This is going to happen a lot. I hope my son doesn’t do it to someone and that someone doesn’t do it to him, but what I have seen during my 23+ years as a parent is that many kids are selfish! My kids tend to be way too loyal and often get burned. Not sure what I would advise my son in this situation but I definitely hope he would not do it to someone and would either just take his chances with a random roommate or be honest up front.

3 Likes

D will choose a school based on all kinds of info including it’s stated plan for fall. If they change it too much, she will take a gap. We will ask ahead of sending a deposit what the school’s gap year policy will be if fall plans change.

And yes the roommate thing is a problem if kids change their minds. It would not have mattered with Bowdoin as they don’t allow kids to choose their own roommate and you don’t find out who they are until very late summer. The college would just rearrange housing for anyone who had a roommate who changed their mind late.

1 Like

If you are not sick of the crazy college admission process - I just stayed up too late and binge read the newly released FICTION book called: Girls with Bright Futures.

The story follows 3 girls from a private prep school and all the behind the scenes wrangling of admissions and parent obsessions around college admissions. I know it is fiction - but living in a high tech, stock option wealth area - parts ring very true :slight_smile:

A fun read and also one that reminds us that it will work out okay and kids not parents should really own this process.

15 Likes