Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Nope, not in Frisco…Lewisville ISD

1 Like

Please, I would love to be in 70 degree weather right now. In the Chicago burbs we have had almost daily snow now for the last 10 days. By the time it melts it will be late April as it’s just building on the prior snow. Not a great February snowfall!

My UT daughter is complaining about 40 degree weather and it’s hard to have any sympathy for her lol.

3 Likes

TX weather, where you will have all 4 seasons in 24 hrs.

6 Likes

I agree with you! But my SO is a Yooper (even though he’s been in the Chicago west suburbs for 25 years) and misses the snow. He’s loving the snow and low temps you’re getting this year. He’d much prefer I go north right now, but I say no thanks! I grew up on the coast of South Georgia and only really appreciate snow when it’s on a ski slope. Lol

Stay warm! I’ll be up there in a few weeks and will surely complain about the cold to all you fine folks.

My son’s university (early college for him, upstate NY) is at red-alert level, all classes virtual with many students in precautionary quarantine and more positive cases in the last few days than they saw all last semester. Don’t know whether any variant is involved, but it’s scary. I got on to see if that’s happening elsewhere and instead see plans for prom :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hey, this year has been especially crappy but I’d like to encourage you to hold off on “cutting bait”. Data from Common App shows that the number of applicants is basically flat (up <1%) yet all the top public and private colleges are seeing 20-50% increases in apps. This means that applicants are applying to more schools this year and to only top schools, mostly driven by test-optional. But, at the end of the day, each applicant can only attend one school. So, in addition to more kids getting deferred, I think there’ll also be a lot of waitlist movement this year. Unfortunately this does mean the whole process dragging through the summer. But, if you are able to hold on, I think the majority of our kids will end up where they would have in any other year.
That said, I wouldn’t visit the colleges that have deferred him. You don’t want to get his hopes up. I know, this all sucks.

12 Likes

Yeah, we’ve basically said that if by April 1 we don’t have a decision (i.e. he’s waitlisted) then we will just consider that a no and move on. I can’t wait until June/July to figure this all out, especially the financial piece. So if colleges want to play the defer/waitlist shuffle then they can do it to someone else’s kid. He’s got great options now so it’s their loss, not his, in the end. The whole defer already put him off a few of the schools to be frank.

9 Likes

I’m a Northerner who relocated to the DFW area about 15 years ago. It’s in the 20’s today and we’re freezing. Being here so long has turned my husband and I into a couple of wusses - lol.

7 Likes

It’s probably the toughest year ever to be applying to colleges. The other big uncertainty is whether campuses will fully open in the fall. We live in Texas, and our daughter has been accepted to a couple of state schools. She’s also been accepted to a couple of schools in the Northeast (w/higher tuition). We like the smaller Northeast schools, but we’re not willing to pay more money to just have her attend classes virtually or even hybrid. We would want the full college experience, and we’re not sure Northeast schools can guarantee this at this point. We know Texas colleges are already open and we’re pretty certain they’ll be operating as normal this fall. They’re more affordable but huge, and we know our daughter thrives in a smaller school environment. Such tough decisions ahead…

1 Like

Maybe also take the long-term view…even if things are still weird in the fall, they WILL get back to normal, so perhaps weigh the value of the whole four years? For me, even if things are online, I at least want my student to get to move to campus. I have one in that situation now, and although online isn’t ideal, he’s grown as a person by branching out on his own and being ‘independent’ in a new state. The sitting at home taking online classes scenario is the one that I really have trouble with.

8 Likes

Even SMU is largely virtual for freshmen. My D20 has 1-2 in person classes out of five. Also some combo of virtual and live. However, the zoom experience is solid with smaller classes and accessible professors. My daughter has also enjoyed meeting people from many parts of the country. Hopefully we’re all largely back in person in the fall. Good luck with your decision.

4 Likes

I agree with you 100%

2 Likes

Yes we do, although depends on city/ rural. Im betting our urban Dallas school has virtual grad or some sort of drive by situation… could be wrong tho! The school is open although mine is at home. Our numbers are starting to go down thankfully so there is hope.

@Momma2018 That’s how I always explain it! I’m on #5!

1 Like

#5 of how many…? :smile:

1 Like

Six - but the last is the smartest - she’s attending tech school for cosmetology! :joy:

7 Likes

You are amazing! Congratulations then for being close to being done…with this stage of life, haha.

2 Likes

It’s been quite the (expensive) ride! :wink: Actually, they all loved their schools, so it’s made paying the bills a little bit easier.

4 Likes

Wow that surprises me - our Sr there is attending all but 1 of her classes (and 1 lab) in person this semester … last semester it was similar but they had the alternating days going on. Granted the Covid cases, particularly this week are off-the-charts (thank you rush and mixer season) but she’s in class ! Just so everyone knows who may be interested, they have not nor do they require any testing both prior to arrival or once on campus all school year. Shocking but true. No temps taken, nothing. They only do contact tracing and the 1 time she had a test done is when we asked her to do so before she flew back home for the holidays. I’m sure most people can’t get their head around this but it has worked for them and the kids who are ok with it …

2 Likes

I just confirmed that my freshman daughter only has her bio lab in person. The rest are virtual. Bio is ~130 students (asynchronous). Journalism and freshman psychology are ~80 each. Freshman comp is 15. Another freshman class is ~25 and bio lab is 8. Like you said, I know that the vast majority of upper level classes offer in person instruction.

My freshman chemistry had just under 400 in a large state school.