Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Irvine is too much of a generic suburb for my tastes. I would not pick it as a place to live independent of the university as I would most of the others.

1 Like

Just a joke, friends. I also made it to him and he let out a nervous laugh.

He does have a rough list of what schools he wants to apply to in two years.

6 Likes

@anaray It just depends. Iā€™m 100% comfortable with Berkeley. USC surrounding has gentrified a little since I first visit it in the 90ā€™s. Campus is beautiful. Some extended part of the campus isnā€™t bad. I just wonā€™t walk around there at night. Day time itā€™s fine if your kid lives off campus eventually. You should visit USC before deciding since I think we all have different levels of whatā€™s comfortable. Iā€™ve sent my son to Mexico on a mission trip with min supervision and Iā€™ve let him roam around NYC and other big cities on his own without concerns. Maybe a little more cautious now with all the Asian hate. He has it a little easier than his buddies who are black. Thatā€™s another layer of fear that my girl friends live with for their sons that Iā€™ve been immuned to.

Agree that Irvine is kinda boring. But the town is as vanilla as it can be. My son actually likes the building style at UCI over Berkeley.

6 Likes

Thank you! I will make sure that she visits 2 or 3 of her top choices before committing.

@sushiritto ā€we all had a meeting and plan to spread our grime.ā€ :joy::joy:

3 Likes

UCLA is upscale leafy suburbs and nice. USC is much more inner city and campus is kind of a walled fortress in the center of the city. You donā€™t even get onto the campus without going through a security gate. It is all walled off. Not a slum, but not upscale either. You can google street view the surrounding neighborhoods and get a pretty good idea.

1 Like

I was up in Saratoga a few weekends ago and visit that town every year. It really is a gorgeous area with a great downtown array of restaurants and shops. Saratoga really is the most glamorous area of Upstate NY with a preppy and wealthy feel(mostly contributed to the Saratoga Racecourse)We went for a drive through Skidmoreā€™s campus and it was pretty empty. A lot of artsy/indie type kids go there if that is what your child is interested. The campus seems to emphasize music and arts, with a building dedicated just to music right when you get on campus!

2 Likes

@anaray, hate to break it to you, but adopting a child is actually a lot more complicated (and drawn out) than even the admissions process of the class of ā€˜21 (from one who knows :wink: )

10 Likes

You should go to the local high school and talk to the guidance counselor about helping a junior. I bet they would know of a few kids who might like some assistance. If one took you up on it you could change their life.

9 Likes

I completely agree with this assessment of USC but Iā€™m also someone who allowed my teenager to take off with her friends on the subway in NYC and Chicago and we have lived in big cities.

I think it is a great idea.

I agree! The kid may not even want to go to outside college after adopting.

Thank you! I am getting some ideas from your and otherā€™s messages. Google street view is a great idea.

FWIW, my D did summer dance program at Skidmore & loved it. The dance faculty are great as are the facilities. And she really enjoyed Saratoga. For a small town, she was impressed with what was going on in town & the restaurants.

If it werenā€™t for the fact that she wanted to be further from home, she would have applied.

1 Like

Irvine may be a bland suburban area (yet very expensive) but the UCI campus is right on the border with Newport Beach and only a few miles from some of the best beaches in Orange County, including the Balboa peninsula and Laguna Beach to the south. S17 who is a senior there has discovered that itā€™s actually a wonderful location and very underrated as a UC campus location.

3 Likes

Irvine might be generic but nearby Balboa Island, only a few miles away from UC Irvine, is not too shabby!

1 Like

And not so underrated. It has the lowest acceptance rate after UCLA and Berkeley.

1 Like

@sd4586 I must have been responding at the same time as you! Love the Balboa peninsula area. Your son is lucky to live in that area!

1 Like

I agree. Irvine is such a great central location. Not too far from L.A., where thereā€™s always something happening. Yet itā€™s quieter than L.A., and the air quality is generally a little better. The nearby beaches are great. Not too far from San Diego, which is always fun to visit.

1 Like

I agree but the location is often underrated.

1 Like