Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Oh what the heck, I’ll play along too for S21:

Accepted: Texas Tech (merit aid) UNT (merit aid), Oklahoma State (merit aid), UTD

Not Accepted: UT Austin (CAP’d), TAMU (PSA’d)

Attending: Texas Tech University, Rawls College of Business.

On another note, we got the email this morning that he received TWO scholarships from our district’s education foundation!! One from our local Rotary Club, and the other from a Memorial Scholarship Fund set up for one of the teachers from his elementary school who passed away from an aggressive form of cancer a few years ago. That one really had me bawling…for him to be honored by her memory just means the world to me :sleepy:

45 Likes

My D21s results:

Accepted: UPenn, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Georgia Tech, University of Virginia (Rodman Scholar), Boston University (presidential scholarship) - all Engineering. Also her safety school Pitt were she was accepted to Computational Biology.

Waitlisted: Dartmouth, Duke (Engineering), Carnegie Mellon (Computer Science), and Michigan (Engineering)

Rejected: Harvard, Princeton, MIT (after EA deferral), Brown, and UNC Chapel Hill

Her basic stats were SAT 1570 4.0 GPA (4.76 weighted). All STEM APs.

20 Likes

S21 is going to do one last campus tour before finalizing. He’s set but I want him to have one last look.

Accepted: Brown (ED Deferral), UC Irvine, Berkeley, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UC Davis

Waitlisted: UCLA, Cal Poly SLO (gawd, this one gave us a scare)

Rejected: USC, Vanderbilt, JHU, Yale, Harvard, UPenn

Reward: His momma got to meet a lot of great, helpful, hilarious CC parents in this 2021 Parents Group

27 Likes

Accepted: UPenn, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Georgia Tech, University of Virginia (Rodman Scholar), Boston University (presidential scholarship) - all Engineering. Also her safety school Pitt were she was accepted to Computational Biology.

Some incredible opportunities. Where is your daughter leaning? Seems like she’s a city person.

5 Likes

You might look at Section C2 in the Common Data Set for each of the waitlisted schools, if you want to get an idea from historical data how many students are waitlisted and how many get offers from the waitlist. Of course, this year is probably going to be an anomaly due to Covid.

1 Like

thanks! she is leaning Penn, but JHU and Cornell are in the running.

5 Likes

Thanks. It looks like BC has an enormous WL this year - 6k - and it’s very unlikely he will come off there. Davis we are letting go since it’s hot, they require an essay, and he got into another UC. UCLA I’m not sure and should look again.

They don’t take too many but Notre Dame might take him since they probably have some hooked soft nos on their list, he’s at Catholic school, we are full pay and may ask the counselor to contact them. They are also a distance from everyone so many kids maybe haven’t seen it, and their admits might have gotten into multiple great schools. He’s doing his LOCI letter.

UW pulled quite a few off the wait list last year and they have already started pulling for in state. One of these last two is probably his best chance.

7 Likes

I am there with you for the WL bar if you are opening your own. My daughter is waitlisted at 12 different places getting WL queen title.

7 Likes

Was so hoping we would be done with the college admission season by now but the waitlist situation will keep us going for little while later. My D21’s list was mainly target and safety with one reach thrown in for fun.

Accepted: UGA, SDSU, University of Washington, Syracuse (leadership scholar),
Waitlisted: NYU, CalPoly(dream school), UCSB, UCSC
Rejected:UCLA

It’s hard watching her having to pick a school and not be enthusiastic. I have to keep reminding her that she will thrive where she lands and that everything is going to work out the way it needs to.

Its been an exhausting season and I can’t wait to have it behind us! This community has been a life savor. The support and compassion is unparalleled!

20 Likes

Accepted at U Mich (Honors LSA), UVA (Echols Scholar), NYU (Presidential scholarship), UT Austin, Georgetown. Visiting Georgetown and UVA this weekend.

Rejected at JHU, UCB, USC, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Cornell, Duke and Brown
Waitlisted at million other schools: UPenn, Dartmouth, UChicago, Northwestern and Columbia are among those WL schools. (I didn’t list all because the number is too many)

15 Likes

I love reading everyone’s posts, and sorry I discovered this forum so late. Thought I’d add my D21’s since she is not a science/engineering kid. :slight_smile:

Accepted: UIUC, UW Madison, Mich St (honors), Minn-TC, McGill, Toronto, Kenyon, Oberlin, Denison, St. Olaf, College of Wooster (all LACs with excellent - okay merit)
Waitlisted: Macalester
Rejected: nowhere
Will likely attend: College of Wooster :grinning: The long shot, come-from-behind winner

32 Likes

These lists are incredible! Again, congratulations to all!

2 Likes

Here’s my D21’s list (in alphabetical order):
Accepted: Bates, Beloit, Bryn Mawr, Colby, Connecticut College, Kenyon, Knox, Mount Holyoke, Wheaton (MA)
WL: Davidson, Grinnell
Denied: Bowdoin, Middlebury

She applied to more schools than she normally would have because it’s such a crazy application year, and it seems like she’s in good company here. :slight_smile: She’s narrowed it down to Bates, Bryn Mawr and Kenyon. In a normal year I’m guessing she would do a couple of longer/overnight visits and likely have little trouble making a decision, but this year she’s struggling to let go of some great options.

24 Likes

I have to say as much as it sucks to go through this process and also hang out at the waitlist bar, I’m so completely grateful that he should get a residential, at least hybrid experience wherever that happens. Also grateful that California should be open since a lot of his best admits are from here. I guess Covid could still surprise us, but I’m feeling hopeful at this point.

16 Likes

I didn’t know the BC waitlist was so large!

20%! Seems pretty crazy. ND is half of that.

D21 applied as a neuroscience major to all schools and her results are (most certainly adding Stanford to the Reject pile tonight):

Accepted: UT Austin (in-state), UCSD, UCLA and Rice

Waitlisted: JHU, UChicago, Wellesley, UCBerkeley, Tufts, Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown

Rejected: MIT, Duke, Yale (deferred SCEA), Harvard, UPenn, Columbia and Princeton

27 Likes

OK, I’ll do the list. I think it will take some time for D21 to decide:

Accepted: Berkeley, USC, Wesleyan, UCSD (Math/CS), UCSB, UCD, UCSC, Cal Poly, Reed, Occidental($), Brandeis($), UMN-TC, SJSU (CS), SCU($), LMU($)
Waitlist: Columbia Engineering, UCLA, Bowdoin, Tufts, NYU
Rejected: Brown, Princeton.

I think the choice will be between Berkeley and USC, but D is playing it close to the chest. Looking at applied math and cs.

14 Likes

On waitlist size, keep in mind that a large portion will not accept the spot on the waitlist. It’s too early and not possible to know how many will do so.

1 Like

Sending good thoughts for Stanford decision

3 Likes