Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

We had a dinner announcement that D21 had decided…

Looks like we will have a UCF Knight!! Just bought some swag on Amazon. :smiley:

40 Likes

Congratulations!

@1Lotus ’ daughter will be a Knight too. I hope your D and @1Lotus 's enjoys the sunshine and Disney World! Congrats!

1 Like

Welcome to the family! Charge on!

Thanks TVBingeWatcher2. I bought some Amazon swag too. Feel free to message me mm5678. D is going to live in Towers 3 and I don’t think she has a roommate group yet.

1 Like

With S18, I learned that fit is so important for college success and happiness.

Luckily, we were able to make a road trip and visit S21s top 3. I was worried that it would be hard to get a feel for the campuses due to COVID but it did not feel that different from tours we took with S18. He felt most at home at Hofstra so we have a decision! He liked Drexel on paper but I had a feeling that he would not like the campus as much. It is right in the city and not a lot of green space.

14 Likes

Just did, thanks! I’m excited and panicked for D (and me!) at the same time.

1 Like

We’re hoping to tour several schools this summer. I hope more start opening for admission tours. We are all fully vaccinated (including D21), so that makes us a little more open to travel.

If you can, try to visit when the schools are in their summer sessions, so that your child can see actual students on the campus. I found, when doing tours with my kids, that they got a better feel for the campus – and could better visualize themselves as a part of the campus community – when we could see actual students going about their normal activities. Of course, this may not be possible; but just a thought.

If you can visit over your high school’s Fall Break, and the target schools are in session, that could be useful as well.

1 Like

That’s definitely our preference, but we’ll take what we can get. Luckily she’s attended summer programs at Stanford, Georgetown, and Brown pre-COVID so she has experienced at least 3 while more people were on campus.

I’m a long time lurker non poster on cc. Congratulations to your daughter! I’m excited to see what she chooses. I’m from Northern Virginia and my son was in the HS class of 2016 and just graduated from Stanford in 2020. I have a daughter who’s in the HS class of 2021 and who has just committed to going to UVA. My son had a lot of top choices too in 2016. We were driven a lot by financial decisions. While he loved, loved, loved Stanford - it’s not a perfect place and he has said if he had gotten the Jefferson, he would have taken the free ride to UVA; especially since he will probably end up in law school. The enrolled student population at University of Virginia-Main Campus in 2019 was 56.6% White, 12.3% Asian, 6.18% Black or African American, 6.17% Hispanic or Latino, 4.24% Two or More Races, 0.092% American Indian or Alaska Native, and 0.068% Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islanders. This year I noticed there are a lot of international and out of state students who deferred from last year at UVA, so there’s a really interesting mix of people.

8 Likes

Same on the Cornell parent page but the Cornell Covid Dashboard page lists how many students have been vaccinated. Well it actually only lists how many have provided proof of their vaccination already (more are vaccinated) and it’s already at 25% - woohoo!

We all have choices and if we think a school isn’t the right fit for our students for whatever reason, then we go elsewhere. Every day more and more schools are mandating the vaccine. I think there are probably 2dozen or so already. Keep it coming!

5 Likes

Whew. S is struggling to make a 5/1 choice and is getting hammered with assignments since he got back from the tours. We do have a final three and they are all very, very different schools: Colgate, Santa Clara, and UCSC. On top of this it still seems possible that UCSC could stick some freshmen with 100% remote and they won’t tell you until after 5/1, maybe even well into summer on housing. Deep breath, we still have 2 weeks left to figure it out. Won’t deposit until the last minute since he’s on 4 waitlists.

13 Likes

All three are great choices. Good luck getting to the final choice.

3 Likes

Has there been movement off waitlists for Williams or Bowdoin?

@NateandAllisMom Did UCSC say why they would do this? I just assumed all UCs would be back in-person in the Fall.

They are apparently waiting on the SC chancellor to decide who gets housing at 90%. Each UC seems to have discretion on openness and SC is being the most conservative as far as I know. If you dig around they are talking about a lottery for housing and tell you there is no guarantee. The class schedule comes out 5/10 and they have eased up on their reduced capacity plans, but if the classes your freshman has are all over 150 kids, you could wind up remote worst case scenario.

If this is a school he really wants to go to, would it be possible to strategically choose the first quarter classes to ensure some smaller ones?

Same here with deciding between very different places! Two thousand or fifty thousand students— Macalester or University of Toronto. And McGill may get thrown in the mix if she ever hears back! I trying my best to not bring it up daily. I have to give her some space as she has fallen way behind in physics and is using this weeks break to catch up.

4 Likes

I’m not sure. We could look into that but we probably wouldn’t know until summer, definitely after 5/1.

1 Like