Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

We never found a less selective private that we felt was a better deal than our public options.

When I ran the NPC, they all came in at around 30-40k after the discount.

1 Like

Thatā€™s surprising. I routinely hear people talk about how less selective privates offered them x amount which brought it in line with the in-state options. But they often perceive it as a better value because of the ā€˜scholarshipā€™ offered (plus sometimes it is flattering to be offered a scholarship). Like I said itā€™s a pricing strategy, and may be more effective with less experienced consumers (first gen, first kid going to college, etc.). Of course itā€™s going to vary depending on in-state options and the particular schools you look at. Iā€™m saying that it is a pricing approach that many small schools use to appeal to families.

Not my boys at all.

Sorry, I didnā€™t mean all of them. Just one of mine.

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking if he needs tutoring or more time to work through an issue, there will be better access to the professor or resources = better performance. This can probably be worked out at the larger university but take more digging or persistence. Trying to be realistic that there may be some Covid learning gaps.

But I come at this with an access to professors = better mentality having a parent that was in academia.

3 Likes

We have our very last campus tour this weekend. I donā€™t know how we got so lucky because my son wonā€™t even have to miss school Monday since itā€™s just online homework on Monday due to CAASP testing for the juniors at our school. Sat-Mon was the least expensive flight option. Iā€™m also glad hubby and S21 both are fully vaccinated. I told them they better not lose their vax card. I didnā€™t realize that Boston and RI both have quarantine guidelines.

Iā€™m at home, anxiously hoping that Brown is exactly what he had hoped and that thereā€™s no crazy incidents. Iā€™m annoyed at myself for thinking, ā€œPlease donā€™t let there be any racist encounters because that would be a deal-breaker.ā€ The other part of me is also thinking, ā€œThey better take some nice pix if he says yes.ā€ Waiting to buy some swag but I did get him a Brown shirt on Amazon. This morning when I dropped him off, he did pack a Northface shell jacket. He said that heā€™s kinda sad because his Berkeley hoodie of 3 years is his favorite hoodie.

7 Likes

We just finished our trip and I know exactly what you mean. There was an anti-masker on our flight from DC to Syracuse and we had a short conversation with an anti-vaxxer in a Friendlyā€™s in New Hartford. After a long day of travel my son was not pleased. The next day, after our tour of Hamilton, we drove through upstate New York and saw some very ugly yard signs. Luckily, once we crossed into Massachusetts that all changed. I am not saying that you canā€™t find that out here, but for a tired, overly traveled kid, it definitely made an impression.

3 Likes

Oh yes, personal attention is definitely a plus. Iā€™m a professor so I completely understand the mentality :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for gently challenging assumptions. Thatā€™s what I appreciate about this forum. My own college search was limited, and now Iā€™m doing this for the first time, much more in depth, with my S. Weā€™ll be speaking with alumni from each school, with whom I have a connection, so I hope that will help.

2 Likes

@HoldensMom My daughterā€™s experience this past year at her SLAC is that she has had a lot of personal attention and interaction with her professors. However, her roommate has had a very different experience. The difference?

My daughter has been very proactive in reaching out and making those connections that increase the personal attention and interactions, which then have continued to strengthen. Her roommate is less confident in doing this; doesnā€™t feel comfortable going to office hours, making appointments, etc. As the work load increased, her roommate has actively started to avoid the classes in which she is struggling. I feel for her, as she really is a lovely, smart and talented young woman. She is just struggling with making the transition to being in charge of her education.

SLACs are wonderful, supportive environments but I hope no one goes into it thinking professors at SLACs have infinite time and resources to give that personal attention to students who arenā€™t reaching out for it. It is really up to the student to put in the time and energy to get the most out of college, even SLACs.

11 Likes

First gen or solid middle class (getting stimulus checks) I know donā€™t even consider private schools. The rep and sticker prices are non-starters. Iā€™ve known some to go for sports and others may go to Christian colleges.

2 Likes

The small privates in our area definitely go for athletes, kids who were decent but not spectacular athletes in high school but who want to keep playing. They offer them sizable merit money and it fits the bill. For some of the really small schools I think thatā€™s a significant part of how they recruit the student body.

1 Like

My daughters are one each at a private university and public. The one at the large public has way more access to her professors than the private university. Itā€™s been incredible. They are amazingly responsive. She was looking for a LOR to be a tutor next semester and he met with her and then wrote the LOR within hours. I had never seen anything like it before. The one at the private, while the professors are generally responsive, when she needs help on something, it generally has to first go through TAā€™s and their office hours. So just beware of the idea that you get better hand holding or 1:1 help at a private college.

Also the tutoring services as the public are free and available to anyone, where my daughter goes privately while sheā€™s never used them I think youā€™re limited to the number of hours you can use and only for certain courses.

2 Likes

Is the public daughter in an honors program or does that matter?

1 Like

She is, but even her non-Honors classes she has had similar dealings. She has just felt that the school has been made very small. Which is something that worried me. Sheā€™s getting an MIS major and last semester had a class (non Honors) with a few hundred people in it yet the professor knew who she was, and this was during remote also so was pretty impressive considering most students turn their cameras off most of the time.

1 Like

Update #2

My son accepted Duke last Sunday (no fee is required at the time). Two days later he gets a notification from Chicago (heā€™s on the waitlist there) gauging his level of interest. He shoots off a quick reply professing his love for Chicago. The following day he got a letter of acceptance from Chicago. He spent a couple days agonizing (we really love Duke); then he found out that one of his friends is headed to Northwestern and then he discovered the Chicago ā€˜25 discord group (Dad, theyā€™re just like me!).

So now Mom and S21 and S23 are headed to Houston and Chicago to visit the school (our kids have never been there, my wife hasnā€™t seen the campus).

The only happy one with all these developments is S23. He is also a great student, really likes Duke but also wants to go to a different school than his sibling.

20 Likes

Okay, final decision finally made, so I thought Iā€™d share.

My D21 was deciding amongst Bryn Mawr (presidential scholarship), Mt. Holyoke (21st century scholarship), Smith (presidential scholarship), Scripps, Reed, UCSC and Sarah Lawrence (merit aid). She was waitlisted at Barnard, Wellesley and UCSB. Rejected from UCLA, Berkeley, UCIrvine, UCSD, Swarthmore, Yale and Stanford.

And the winner is . . . Bryn Mawr! While she never let herself have a ā€œfirst choiceā€ throughout this process, and any of the schools she got into would have been a good fit, it was clear all along that BMC was where she saw herself ending up. So happy to be done (until I have to do it 2 years later for my S24).

FYI if anyone is interested and thinks it will help you with your kidsā€™ choices, feel free to PM me for her stats. And any parents of Mawters class of 2025, Iā€™d love to connect! Good luck to everyone still making decisions! Youā€™re almost there!

46 Likes

Oh and she has declined the spots at all the other schools she got into, as well as her spots on the waitlists at Barnard, Wellesley and UCSB.

4 Likes

Congratulations! My daughter is going to BMC as well and is super excited about it! They invited Class of 25 girls who live near by to go to campus Monday and Tuesday to get their covid vaccine. We havenā€™t seen the campus, so it will be nice to see even just little bit of it.

8 Likes

Where is your daughter going? (If she already has made her mind :blush:)