Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Sigh…yeah, the weather was pretty good on their visit to UChicago. Had a great campus tour and then sat down with a current student for a few hours. S21 felt at home.

3 Likes

Monoclonal antibody infusions received emergency FDA approval several months ago. The government provided hospitals with thousands of free doses of bamlinivimab and Regeneron that sit unused at hospitals because not enough doctors recommend it to their high-risk patients. My dad (late 60’s, obese w/hypertension) was diagnosed with Covid in January. A Regeneron infusion made all his symptoms (other than fatigue) disappear in about 24 hours. Regeneron dose was free (paid by governement) and the infusion cost was 100% covered by medicare. It must be given within 7 days of symptoms to be effective. I’m not sure if it’s approved for younger people w/out preexisting conditions yet, but I highly recommend seeking out this treatment if you know a high-risk individual that gets diagnosed with Covid. Luckily, it seems the vaccines are doing their job and Covid cases are declining.

5 Likes

I was so impressed with St Olaf when we toured pre-COVID. It is a lovely school. I am sure he will be very happy there.

4 Likes

It would be through the portal you set up with the college to get the admissions decision.

I revamped the spreadsheet down to Colleges A and B. So, if I were to order a t-shirt for College A, would that jinx the choice toward College B?

Anyone know if B&N has a central location for apparel orders from the colleges it serves, as opposed to being mailed from the actual school location?

1 Like

Check with individual insurance companies. They vary in how they treat college students and whether the student can be picked up on the policy when they come home for vacations/visits.

2 Likes

Most definitely. FYI ours is GEICO.

I know most colleges offer health insurance through the college but I’m wondering how that works when the kids come home on vacation and in the summer.

I’m so glad your dad got this treatment. On the news a month ago, health officials said that these treatments are available and not limited to just high-ranking officials.

I’m watching India and the cases are concerning, as well as the variant. I can’t find the article, but I think the cases are now prevalent among 40 and under there, which has not been the case up until now. Argh.

3 Likes

If your child is 26 or under, s/he should be covered under your plan. If your provider covers them when they’re out of the home area, skip the school insurance policy. They are expensive. Just double check that your insurance is sufficient for them to waive.

Thanks, that’s not an option. I’ll go ahead and contact the college once ds decides and see what they suggest.

While not as good as full school mandate, this is better than nothing! Also, all the Cal Stats and UC schools also announced mandatory vaccines!! Yay

3 Likes

I’m watching a very sad situation at D21’s high school. Highly sought-after public high school in Texas. The kids who end up at the top of the class believe (and are told) that they are super smart. And they are. But so are so many across the country. Our counseling is basically non-existent (I like to call them the class schedulers because that’s what they seem to do). These kids are smart and independent, so a lot of first time parents let their kids handle all applications. The top 6% applied to UT Austin as their “back-up.” As they absolutely should- they’re auto admit.

All except one of these kids were rejected to the Ivies. A couple have gotten accepted to Michigan, USC and UCLA (not going to be the right fit for some and others should save the $ it would cost for grad school). Some didn’t get in anywhere other than UT Austin. All feel rejected. None are excited to go to UT because UT “had to” take them. It’s so sad. The counselors across Texas and Texas parents all need to start telling these top 6% auto-admit kids that colleges admissions are so hard, so random and how lucky is it that the top 6% knows they have a spot (these kids all got their first choice major) at a fantastic school like UT Austin. Cheers to all of you who have been and are in the trenches with your kids during this process. It’s hard for these junior adults with no experience.

13 Likes

This is a hard year for all Seniors and many top kids at a lot of schools didn’t get into their top choices even when their state schools are great schools. Many kids just don’t want to go to their state school no matter how great it is. Also, just because someone is an auto admit at UT, that doesn’t mean they all get their top choice major. In fact, many don’t and I’m sure not all of these kids did. That’s part of the problem with the auto admit. Many top kids at those top Texas schools don’t get their first choice majors, and then they do feel “stuck” at UT or going there when it wasn’t where they wanted to go.

Everyone knows college admissions are hard, and I doubt parents are telling their kids it isn’t. Kids apply to reach schools, they just can’t expect to get into every reach they apply to. That’s why they’re considered reaches. That’s where the problem lies. Many people think schools that are reaches are actually a likely when they are not and that’s the big mistake.

5 Likes

My kid also goes to a Texas HS. Yes, UT “had to” take them but they were fortunate to get their major. Some got into higher rated public and private schools (maybe many) but decided not to go due to finances. Wake, Duke, GT, Illinois, Vandy, Wash U, Notre Dame…Maybe their yield is lower from Texans?

T20+ schools seem to be a crap shoot. However, I believe one needs to be top 1% to maybe top 2%, have strong leadership and statewide or national awards.

3 Likes

That is sad they feel this way. UT took them and gave them their desired major because they were qualified. They do a soft rejection of AA by not giving you your major. Getting your first major and a honors program even if you are Auto Admit is a great accomplishment.

Many kids don’t even get in to UT, so they should feel proud of their accomplishments.

4 Likes

My daughter attended a highly sought after school in the DFW area before we had her finish up high school at a rigorous OOS boarding school. Our daughter probably would have been auto-admit to UT Austin, but she was considered an OOS applicant and didn’t get in (she got CAP). She would have been ecstatic to attend UT Austin. These top kids have to realize that getting their top choice major (as you mentioned they all did) at one of the best public universities in the country is something they should be proud of, especially in this horrible year for applications. UT Austin is an amazing deal for in-state students. My daughter had friends from her Texas high school turn down offers to elite colleges (like Georgetown) because the in-state tuition to UT Austin was too good to pass up.

On another note, my daughter said only a couple kids at her boarding school got into Ivies this year. This is a school that usually has several Ivy acceptances. And these are kids who had excellent guidance counselors, with many parents paying professionals to help their kids with their children’s college applications (we weren’t one of these parents). It was just a horrible application year for kids throughout the country.

7 Likes

These comments about the ‘top kids’ feeling a certain way sound very specific to maybe a particular high school or particular area? This forum is probably a bit too broad to reach whoever it is that is the target of those comments. I will say, this is my third rodeo and as we all know this year has been craptastic. Kids who otherwise would not have been competitive with scores were competitive this year. And we know it’s a zero-sum game, so if those kids take spots then other kids lose spots. That’s just reality. So it’s very possible that some of those kids would have had a lot more choices in a normal year (assuming they have strong apps beyond top 6%). Of course we also sometimes see parents in various forums who think their kids are competitive at schools where they really aren’t, so maybe this year is a perfect storm of too-high expectations combined with select schools taking fewer of the traditionally high-qualified kids. At any rate, I hope they all thrive wherever they go.

9 Likes

Stating the obvious and not to minimize their distress, but there are lots of kids in the 40-something states that don’t have a flagship as good (or in many cases even in the ballpark) as UT-Austin, or in the 10 states that have one comparable or better but no 6% plan and 30-40% of the seats going to full-pay out-of-staters, who would be thrilled to be in their shoes right now.

9 Likes

Now that our school’s seniors have posted their results, it looks about the same as other years. Middle of the road public CA school.
1% at non-UC top 20 level schools
10% at UCs or one of the top 4 CSUs

There was a lot of disappointment, I think all to 10% kids, at least in CA, think they should get into at least one of their wish list schools of the upper 3-4 UCs or a lottery school. The CA system has dozens of excellent colleges but I think students and parents alike are hoping for that prestige and there just isn’t enough room for everyone. STEM kids at our school were hit particularly hard, getting into Engineering is pretty rough.

4 Likes