Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Not even close to comparable. Barnard students just have to walk across the street. No permission required.

Harvard/MIT is one of those things that sound good on paper, but is a logistically nightmare in actuality with each college on a different academic calendar, class schedule, etc.

1 Like

Great question! I think this is very dependent upon the school and the counselor. Our large public high school doesnā€™t do outreach and also doesnā€™t do a great job of managing and updating naviance. Itā€™s a bummer.

At our public high school, I believe counselors would only know if students have been accepted/waitlisted/denied, if a student told them.

The school does have a College Rejection Letter Wall where students can submit their rejection letters. Iā€™m not clear on exactly how it works thoughā€¦

1 Like

Georgiaā€™s population is about 10 million and growing fast. Alabamaā€™s is less than 5 million.

Without looking them all up, Iā€™d guess that both states have similar numbers of state universities. So it stands to reason that Georgia is going to have 2x the demand and pressure from in-state students compared to Alabama, and that Alabama is going to have to cast a wider net to fill out itā€™s freshman classes.

In the vein of the previous ā€œpre-medā€ discussion, I had breakfast with someone who said his son had a 3.97 GPA and was turned down to some in-state med schools and is on the wait list for one. He blamed the lack of admission on preference for diversity candidates. Oh boyā€¦

A very high GPA isnā€™t enough for med school.
Apply broadly. [Not sure if DS only went to select schools or to 20+.]
Make sure you nail the MCAT. [Not sure how this score compared against other candidates.]
Own your result.

2 Likes

@tristatecoog I hope his kid gets off the waitlist. 3.97 GPA is a great accomplishment, but youā€™re absolutely right on MCAT. Even those two arenā€™t enough. Thereā€™s ECā€™s, clinical volunteer hours, job shadowing, and maybe research. You really have to demonstrate and convey your passion when being interviewed, as well as demonstrate maturity on how they approach the questions/answers. I have a friend on an admission panel so I hear general comments and theyā€™re enough for me to realize that itā€™s like this yearā€™s undergrad college admission process for T30 schools but 100x more demanding. The LORs are really important. Much more than undergrad. Iā€™ve helped a kid with her secondary essays and I donā€™t think theyā€™re that drastically different or surprising vs what weā€™ve seen in college supplementals. It seems like the interview is also a huge make or break deal.

I read that even when they get to this point in the journey, thereā€™s a significant amount who get denied. Every step that the high school kids go through when they apply to college is just so amplified and so critical in Med School (and Iā€™m totally simplifying this).

1 Like

My boys go to a Bay Area public school. The counselors do get reports from some schools at least. The counselor mention to me in passing that the Dartmouth one was grim.

Part of the checklist to attend graduation at our local public, along with turning in locker keys, books, equipment, athletic uniforms, etc., students must update their Naviance.

8 Likes

We might get an in-person graduation. Got a parent survey asking if we would attend. I hope they will at least give parents and grandparents a chance. Itā€™s been a year.

S21ā€™s last swim meet is this Friday and we canā€™t even attend. I told my son Iā€™m going to bring a tall ladder and park myself outside in the parking lot area so I canā€™t watch. Those 22-23 seconds for the 50M free can go fast. I told him to ask for the 500M so I can have more time to see him but he said he didnā€™t want to die (not his event).

6 Likes

Oh geez, people really need to stop believing that URM are just given admissions without qualifications. We get rejected and WL just like everyone else.

30 Likes

I think people donā€™t realize that minorities they see for the most part are over represented minorities and they donā€™t get any extra points for being minorities in the whole scheme of admissions. Same rat race. If we break down % of URM at places like med school, itā€™s sooooo dang low of a number that Iā€™m pretty sure they didnā€™t oust the 30% who got rejected from anywhere. Imagine 30% URM. I canā€™t find in what world in the US URM makes up 5-10%, on paper, let alone visibly observable.

2 Likes

Sigh. White woman, faux blonde hair until Covid, here. Married to a doctor. We are privileged. We are always given the benefit of the doubt. We are always treated nicely and respectfully (until the time I put a Pete magnet on my car in 2019).

Anyhow.

I canā€™t get over how many people blame POC for the majority group and their kids not getting (fill in the blank) job, internship, college admissions spot, scholarship, etc.

Itā€™s ridiculous.

What is happening is competition. Too few college spots or jobs for those who need them or want them. Thus, people who may feel entitled to them donā€™t realize that there are LOTS of people who have similar or greater accomplishments. Not everyone is top dog. Period. Itā€™s not bc of POC you donā€™t get what you feel you have ā€œdeservedā€.

16 Likes

Just a sample of medical school class info.

Harvard Medical School:

• Underrepresented in medicine (African American, Native American, Hispanic, Mexican American): 36 (21%)
  • Asian: 64 (38**%)**

Yale Medical School:

27%ā€” identify as being part of a group traditionally underrepresented in medicine.

Stanford Medical School:

38% Under-Represented inMedicine
12 Hispanic/Latino(Mex Amer/Chic/Other Latino)
20 Black/ African American
2 Multiple Race URM (American Indian and Hispanic/ Latino; Black/ African American

UPenn Medical School

60% Black, Hispanic, Asian or Native American

• Asian ā€” 34%
  • Black/African American ā€” 15%
  • Hispanic ā€” 11%

Jefferson Medical College

• 13% from groups underrepresented in medicine
  • 30% non-white ethnic groups

And women outnumber men as well at all of these schools.

1 Like

No medical school is going to let in a POC or any other minority just because theyā€™re a minority. The future Drs these schools take are without a doubt going to be the best and the brightest of the bunch. Not a bunch of kids taken just to meet some arbitrary ratio of diversity in someoneā€™s mind. You said it perfectly. Itā€™s called competition.

When my ex sister in law went to medical school at Tufts (weā€™re turning 53) I believe her class was 50% female. When my ex husband went to medical school (heā€™s turning 50) his class was I think 60% female but 50% minority or the other way around, 60% minority and 50% female. It was huge percentages both ways. The majority of the minorities were Asian in both cases (hers and his and the women) but no one really thought about it or them that way. In residency he had all different genders and races in his program as well.

Agree with you that people have to work for what they get/earn. There may be some advantages in some instances we all know that, but that only gives someone a slight edge (ie legacy, being a female applicant to a place that has mainly men and vice versa, stuff like that) but we all make our own successes, etc. Itā€™s not a given and there are plenty of POC and other minorities sitting in the same boat as many privileged white kids that didnā€™t get into the college of their dreams. They will all survive and itā€™s not such a bad thing to always get what you want or expect. Life isnā€™t perfect and rejection sucks but it is also a part of life!

1 Like

Thatā€™s helpful data. You still have the majority being the majority. Thereā€™s a small handful of Asian ethnicities that are considered URM, but the majority are ORM. AAMC published numbers recently and Iā€™ll try to find the link, but it has t broader snapshot of the US Medical School landscape across all the schools.

I think one of the probs with med school is that we have more people wanting to be doctors (and we need more doctors), but the residency spots are capped since theyā€™re dictated by Medicare and that number hasnā€™t changed since probably the '80ā€™s. Thereā€™s just a bottleneck at every step and the competition is fierce. If we thought T20 schools are tough for undergrad admission, I bet it is so much tougher for med school and then residency spots. The education industrial complex is one that needs to be reviewed but at this rate, the funnel just gets smaller and it creates so much resentment and blame-placing and division when the students are the pawns. here.

3 Likes

The guy who bemoaned his sonā€™s predicament was referring to URMs. This was a particularly striking comment because we were a group of white males at a country club. It just struck me today because thereā€™s so much that goes into admission beyond grades and letā€™s stop blaming others for our woes.

2 Likes

In the mean time several of my non Indian friends tell me that my daughter must be getting easy admission as she is not white. We are considered ORM by admissions and others think we are URM. I donā€™t even explain it anymore.

2 Likes

@tristatecoog Yikes! The setting you just painted for us! This type of thinking gets us to division and resentment. Itā€™s really classic!

@anaray Hugs. Parent of East/SE Asian male here for 2021 season. I feel your pain, my South Asian pal! I so feel your pain.

3 Likes

There are many residencies that go infilled every year, so thatā€™s not the issue. The issue is that many Doctors donā€™t match in the residencies they want like specialties like surgical ones because those are the hardest to get and truly only the cream of the crop get those. The primary care programs tend to go unfilled and many med students get stuck going into those programs/residencies even though they arenā€™t what they want. The pay is also not as high in those fields so for the Drs who take out loans etc these are physicians that will never be making a ton of money. Sadly many people have this idea that all adds make a lot of money when they donā€™t just like some people think all lawyers make a lot of many when they donā€™t, which also in the past is what caused so many people to go to law school and saturate that market and then never be able to find a job or a decent one. Unfortunately I know quite a few of those.

2 Likes