Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

UGA does not take residency into consideration in the admissions process. Your best source for answers about this year is the admissions blog. If you don’t find your answer, just ask in the comments section. David Graves is extremely helpful and very quick to respond.

Academic Elite is 4 students a year, do you know of other scholarships that are given out at BAMA that give full ride?

1 Like

Not just “linked” - rather it IS “Barnard College of Columbia University”.
It is financially independent, where Columbia College is not - but BOTH are (some of) the undergraduate schools under the umbrella of Columbia University.

Students of the colleges will take classes at either college, wherever they happen to be offered, will use either college’s libraries, dining halls, etc. Faculty of either college are also faculty of the University and Barnard students will graduate with Columbia University degrees.

She knows. It is a joke.

@jntwinmama I actually was being facetious but didn’t realize the details! I def didn’t know it was part of the Columbia ecosystem. I was telling someone that I don’t think my daughter would want to deal with Columbia’s core requirements and my friend who teaches at Columbia said that my daughter could apply to Barnard when she’s older since Barnard doesn’t have the same core reqs and the classes can be taken at Columbia. I just assumed it’s like how students from Harvard could take classes at MIT and vice versa. I actually didn’t know about the diploma saying that it’s Columbia. Now I’m going to go check the google machine.

1 Like

Precisely. My daughter had ranked Barnard over Columbia College when she was deciding, and her choice has since been validated. Specially in her Freshman year she was pitying her friends at CC who were “trapped” (at least in her view) in a rigid core that prescribed specific readings, while at Barnard, she was able to pick from a very expansive list of courses in subjects along her personal lines of interest that satisfied Barnard’s required “disciplines” or “Mode of Thinking”.

Full disclosure: I’m being imprecise here since I don’t actually know the details of Columbia College, but she would have been unhappy to have to take some Biology 101, Computer Science 101, Calculus 101,… JUST because it’s on “the” list.

Instead, at Barnard, she eventually took an applied programming class that centered around a statistics application in her primary field of study. It was not an easy class by any means - but one that didn’t seem arbitrary/inapplicable/forced. She took an interesting Astronomy class, that incorporated some planetary movement portions, that checked off multiple boxes (natural sciences, math) if I remember correctly.

No, it’s not just some loose reciprocity - while Barnard has maintained it’s organizational independence (maintains its own finances, dorms, dining halls, library and faculty) it is at the same time fully integrated into Columbia University. Students of all of Columbia University’s undergraduate schools have full access to all the facilities of all the colleges and the University.

In fact, in her first summer, my daughter applied for and received a Columbia fellowship for a summer program run by Columbia University in Europe. Later, she landed a part-time job at the Columbia U Law Library.

1 Like

For Barnard - all athletes on Columbia’s D1 teams too. Barnard had a 10% acceptance rate this year. Very visible President both on campus and in the media. Worth a look if your daughter wants a small liberal arts school with the access and resources of a larger research institution.

1 Like

They have a huge page of all their OOS scholarships right on their website. Just check it out. It’s not hidden.

1 Like

@coffeeat3 Thanks! She’s D24 so has a couple more years but she’s much more proactive than my son was at the same age. She’s very intrigued by what she hears about his Brown virtual info session so far. I think Brown would be her number one choice but I sense that she would get the same type of learning environment at Barnard.

1 Like

Ha - imagine my daughter’s surprise when she moved into her “Penthouse” (as in: hottest floor with longest ride in super-slow elevator) in one of the Appartement buildings that Barnard owns. She had known that some of the tenants were retired faculty - but imagine the shock when she walked up the stairs one day and she was greeted by the College Prez who came down from her own Apartment in the same building.

I wish I could take credit for having arranged this somehow.

4 Likes

When do HS guidance counselors normally call schools on behalf of waitlisted students? Before or after 5/1?

1 Like

I am curious to know… do HS Counsellors know what schools each student has been accepted to/waitlisted/denied without being told by the student?

Our guidance counselors do not call schools, but I would think they can call before May 1 since schools are already pulling from the WL if that’s something they do.

@NewParentCA Ours didn’t know. She knows who applied to which schools because she’s gotta put in all the hours. I had updated her on some of the kids assigned to her since I had been mentoring them on their apps. Before I told her, she didn’t know. She had been following S21’s apps and because Brown sent the letter to GCs the weekend before Ivy Day, saying RD rate was 3.5%, she was trying to prepare to talk us off the ledge but I already told her that I knew this was a crazy year and it is a lottery.

I never realized how hard counselors worked til this year. I just assumed they manage class schedule and coordinated with the kids and teachers. That can’t be all year, right?! Then all of a sudden I see the work they do starting in Sep for college bound kids and I think each of our GCs probably have to deal with about 50-75 kids who chose to apply to a more involved college beyond CSU and UCs that require GC letters. And then it’s the mid year, the post-notification work they do to work on behalf of the kids. Seriously under appreciated.

2 Likes

While I’m not the poster you directed your comments at, I was offended by your last line that read, “So - yes, you will do your daughter a favor by replacing any assumptions with researched facts.”

It seems unnecessary for you to include it.

The goal is to educate fellow posters. Not to be condescending to them. I’m assuming that wasn’t your intent, but it read that way to me.

7 Likes

They do at our public HS. They publish a list of colleges that have accepted students, and colleges that students have accepted.

Not at our school. Students are required to self report it and of course not all do.

At our High School (using Naviance), the only way the guidance counsellor would know, if the STUDENT made the point of updating results in Naviance.

Our school also DID publicize a total of all merit awards for the senior class, as well as itemizing each school and amount per student in the graduation booklet. However, for that they had actively canvassed the students to submit all those details for inclusion. Some did - many probably did not put the time in.

So rather than counting on it, I would probably reach out to the guidance counselor to see if this is something they DO regularly pursue.

Offensive sentence removed.

4 Likes

They don’t call in our district.