Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

My twins are in 10th grade right now, I’m dreading the process for when they start applying to colleges…I totally get it, hang in there and big hugs

5 Likes

@sherimba03 Wow! Admission to MIT is always an impressive achievement, but in 2020 it’s downright extraordinary. Congratulations to your son!

8 Likes

@sherimba03 congratulations! What an incredible accomplishment!

2 Likes

@sherimba03 Wow! With a 5% acceptance rate for the early round, that is amazing indeed! You must be thrilled.

@havenoidea Sending support to your daughter and to you. If it’s any consolation, with your son accepted ED to Duke, the remainder of the focus will be on her and hopefully you will have many wonderful moments to share as her college journey unfolds. In this moment, I imagine it must be hard for everyone. Hang in there!

6 Likes

That is the best thing I ever heard in 2020!

3 Likes

A close friend of mine has twins that graduated class of 2020…both applied to UT Austin, brilliant kids, impressive stats…daughter was in 4%, son 6.5% (barely missed the cutoff for in state auto admit)…daughter got in as auto admit and got her desired major, son did not get accepted to UT and was offered CAP…they appealed based on being twins etc…UT didn’t yield…he’s now a happily thriving Aggie at TAMU while
she’s a Longhorn lol. It was a tough situation though, stung hard.

4 Likes

@sherimba03 Wow!! Congratulations!!!

2 Likes

Congrats @sherimba03!!! D’s bestie was deferred.
And @havenoidea Hugs to you! Ice cream is required.

3 Likes

That must have been real hard. I had twin brothers in my AP Calculus class and the parents had written a note that one twin regresses without the other one. They were always together and that’s when I learnt about twins getting accepted together. UT did not do right.

I cannot imagine how difficult that is. Deferred is not the end, of course. Hang in there! And huge congrats to your Duke kiddo (D19 is a Dukie and loves it…go blue devils!).

4 Likes

Congrats and thanks for sharing that! I had never heard anything about a turnaround time but it makes sense.

1 Like

I’ve heard people say that, but she’s more interested in very liberal LACs. She thought of Brown as a bigger version of those. I know she’ll end up somewhere she likes!

5 Likes

I think some of you will find this relatable: Today I received an email titled, “ED Offer,” and when I opened it, it read, “For as low as $4/dose – get your confidence back in the bedroom.”
Oh, right (head shake), I forgot that ED does have an alternative meaning. :joy:

28 Likes

That’s not how it works at our school. I asked if it was possible to have my twins in the same math classes in high school and was told it is randomly assigned. They ended up having only a few classes together (although later on in high school they chose many different classes, one has stat while the other BC calc). I’ve never heard of a twin getting into a college because the other was accepted. Twins are definitely used to one succeeding in something while the other fails. We just say “awkward!” here. Fortunately they have older siblings so there are more to compete with, it’s not just the two of them.

3 Likes

2 of my daughters high school friends got admitted to MIT. Very surprising that 2 from the same suburban western PA school would be admitted.

14 Likes

@NJWrestlingmom yes, he is the very large, very smart, and very excited young man. :- :blush:

17 Likes

He sounds like the next John Urschel…amazing!

1 Like

@GoldPenn
That.
Is.
Hilarious!!!
:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Congratulations! My D21 did the same thing. Researched and made her list early, finished her essay over the summer and sent her first application Oct 15th. She applied to 10 schools and has 6 acceptances so far. Good student, not stellar stats like some of her peers, but picked schools that were good fit for her and has received 1/2 to 3/4 tuition from every school she has applied to so far.

11 Likes

3 from our small NM school got into MIT this yr! Crazy!!

8 Likes