Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

My D and her requested roommate got their dorm (and room) assignment. Super happy. Got their first choice! Convenient to the ancient part of campus where most of her classes will be (and is her favorite ambiance).

13 Likes

Inspired by the conversation here I posted on a local “yard sale” group in search of one and I got one for $35 in perfect condition.

3 Likes

Our zippered Frakta bags have gone back and forth as checked baggage on flights from San Diego to Baltimore multiple times. We did not use them for anything fragile, just soft things like clothes and bedding. I may have taped the zippers down the first time, but we never had any problems. If you are concerned, you can double bag them, but we never did. We also did not overfill them.

5 Likes

Very helpful. Thanks!

Score!

ebags.com has the same sale.

My apologies for being a little late to the game. Have to move D to Maine from Florida. Are these duffels good to fly with? Seems like that is the general consensus. Thanks!

1 Like

Be mindful of bag size - for the XL - and weight. My college kid overloads the large suitcase every. single. time. (Those people over there with the suitcases open on the sidewalk in front of the skycap, back when there were skycaps, redistributing items? That’s us.)

4 Likes

Thank you @momtogkc, I bought two! They came in school colors :cow:and I am thinking can double as a hamper.

Please let us know how they work @gotham_mom, I’m definitelly interested!

1 Like

Tempur pedic is having BOGO sale on pillows if anyone needs some for fall.

Will do. They’re supposed to be delivered on
July 16, downside of free shipping from Canada.

1 Like

I shared this one earlier but it came up again in my email. Good advice. I hope my son’s room doesn’t look quite as bad as the one pictured.

After 500 hours of community service, S earned his first dollar working yesterday. He’s clearing tables at a tourist restaurant. It’s a young, fun crew and it’s right on the water. They got to stop and watch the fireworks. Since his dad and I worked during high school it’s been nice to see him get this experience, even if it’s only for 6 weeks. It’s going to go by fast and then :sob:

8 Likes

500 community service hours - Amazing! Congratulations and kudos to him.

1 Like

If you miss the samsonite sale, track on Amazon. I got 3 of the bags for $75.

My nephew was able to get two years of move in and out flights with his Frakta bags. They’re still usable, but my sister might splurge ($10) and buy new ones for this year. :slight_smile:

The second year she bolstered the bags with gorilla brand duct tape as a precaution.

2 Likes

The big ones from Samsonite and Ikea mentioned on here are great to carry a lot of stuff, but they’re not bulletproof and will eventually give out. The advantage is cost. They’re cheap and will hold up for college. You can also go with bags like the LL BEan adventure duffel which are a great bag that will last and last.

The most important thing is coming up with your airline plan. It’s a matrix of ticket price, bag restrictions, bag fees, and direct/indirect flights. Generally once you find the right airline you use that one for 4 years. If you post the airports or home and college, people on here can generally help you find the best deal.

1 Like

Thank you! Flying from West Palm Beach, FL to Portland, ME. @Lindagaf had some suggestions. Covid had disrupted some flights, etc. Will take any advice!

If I recall, my Bates D’s good friend from Florida always connected in Baltimore. But there are lot of flights from LGA, in particular, to PWM. LGA is a busy airport with lots of national flights.

1 Like

S19 always flies through Baltimore on Southwest between Portland and Chicago. Our D21 now gets to do that too since SW now flies into Syracuse! Out of the way I guess, but they don’t care.

2 Likes