Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

Not sure how far you are, but if you can fly out of Ft. Lauderdale you’ll have a lot more options. Looks like Southwest and United have flights from PBI with 1 stop. Jet Blue as well but with long layovers. If you go from FLL you have more options including Jet Blue, United, Delta, American, Spirit and Frontier.

We live right between the two airports so we are lucky that we can always check both and find the best deals/timing. I always pick PBI if I have a choice because it is such a nice, easy airport compared to Ft. Lauderdale.

2 Likes

When did SW start flying to Syracuse? I’m stoked! Too bad we already have reservations on Delta for D21’s move-in and for the winter break.

1 Like

I just checked SW and it looks like we could get him to LA at least if United doesn’t work out for some reason. Not cheap but good to know. Thanks.

SW announced the Syracuse good news about three weeks ago. We were thrilled! For move in, we are all just flying to Albany. I had it booked before they added Syracuse and it’s no big deal because we will be with D and will rent a car. When she has to travel back and forth by herself, though, there’s no way to get to Albany and has to fly out of Syracuse. We already booked D’s Thanksgiving ticket on United but I booked her ticket home for winter break on SW.

4 Likes

CHANGING HOTEL RESERVATIONS—We just received my daughter’s move-in for her dorms so I was going to cut a day off our hotel reservations with Expedia since she got an earlier date. But one day less at our hotel costs $15 more! Has anyone else run into this dilemma? It is well before the cancellation deadline.

Sigh. Just discovered that SW doesn’t fly SYR to SEA. At all. :disappointed:

Similar. Needed to stay two less days which the system wouldn’t allow unless we no longer received a good deal on the nights we still did need.

Let’s just say it would have cost us more to change it from 4 nights to 2 nights if we did it that way!

Very irritating.

Same here. SW just moved into our smaller airport so I hope they add some flights.

We are now flying in a day earlier and staying at the airport hotel in Chicago to avoid changing our car and hotel reservations!

1 Like

Yes, it’s very irritating for us to have to pay more to change from 3 nights to 2 nights at our hotel. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to take off three days off from work instead of two!

Which night did you want to cancel? If it is the last night why not just leave a day early? If it is the first night I guess you could call the hotel directly and say you just realized you won’t be able to make it but you still want the reservation and see what they say. Maybe they will hold the room for you if they are sure you are coming and paying.

Or of course if it is somewhere fun to visit just enjoy the extra day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank goodness, my D was approved for the Spanish class she needs. Whew!

16 Likes

I’ve had luck in the past calling a hotel directly and asking them to remove a night and keeping the others at the same rate. Sometimes the reservations person is able to do it, and sometimes the manager has done it. If it’s a non refundable rate and/or a particularly busy time for the hotel, they might not comply, but it is worth a try if you haven’t already. Online never seems to work for me!

3 Likes

Thank you! I will call the hotel tomorrow morning. The rate is quite a bit higher today than it was when I booked. So it seems it would be advantageous for the hotel to take back my 1 day booking and resell it at the higher rate.

2 Likes

My son got early move in to his dorm, and it was more also but I think because I had booked so far in advance when I thought we would be going late. A week later though I decided to change our reservation to stay one more night and the rate was then cheaper, go figure. So I rebooked. You should just keep checking because it seems things are fluctuating like crazy.

Same with airfare for one of my daughters. We decided to take an earlier flight and on American when I did the “change flight” it actually showed if I changed the flight to our exact same flight, I would get $20 back/person. I was like wth. that’s a new one. But, I guess with the no change fees that’s why. Crazy. One more thing I need to start looking at I guess.

1 Like

Took a recent short trip to San Francisco and noticed (too late) that the hotel price had gone down by $50 a night. Good to check up on reservations as we have several in August with generous cancelation policies.

2 Likes

I have rebooked our rental car three times now for move-in weekend. Each time for $50 less with a size upgrade. Lots of new cars being bought right now by the rental agencies.

But we are still 8 weeks out. Three weeks out from a trip to see grandparents, and those rates have edged up a notch.

1 Like

Huh. I’m under the impression that there are very few/almost no new cars available anywhere, to rental agencies or to dealerships, because of the ongoing chip shortage.

Delta has twice unilaterally changed our reservations for move-in. Each time has necessitated a change in our rental car reservations and each time the rental has gone up by more than $100.

I started doing some organizing of the college stuff pile today and had few tips for you guys. I wanted to start a “shopping list” of stuff for D on the Target website so I did it by creating a college registry. I left it alone for a few days and today I got an email saying we could get 15% off anything on the registry - not sure if it will stack with my Red Card 5% discount but either way it is nice.

I also ordered the Space Saver bags to use for bedding and towels. I wanted to try them out today and when I opened the package there was a coupon code - you can get 10% off the original Space Saver brand on Amazon only using SPACESAVER10OFF.

Last thing - I went to Target for other stuff today but found myself grabbing some things for D21 of course. I was by the medicines and saw they had a promotion - buy 3 first aid items and get a Band Aid brand first aid kit bag free. It is just the bag, nothing in it, but it is cute and since I was buying that stuff anyway I grabbed one.

6 Likes

Perhaps it varies by location and move in date. This has definitely worked for me for Labor day weekend, flying into Minneapolis. Rates were astronomical when I originally booked 6 weeks ago.

I was also able to rebook our rental in Charlotte at about five weeks out. My best guess was more cars now available, ordered ages ago. But maybe people are canceling reservations. Worth a shot for a mid to late August trip. But the window is probably closing.