Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

I love this!
My S has been shocked that college students reportedly don’t wash their sheets regularly. He assures me he will be changing his sheets once a week and then washing both sets the week after. He likes clean sheets like your daughter does. It’s his Saturday routine. He likes some routine. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

@rbc2018 I’ve wondered about the lack of top sheets too! We use top sheets in our home, but my D promptly kicks them to the bottom and there they stay until the sheets are changed. She leaves them there even when making her bed. She has a duvet cover at home but told me she’d never take the time to wash it in college so asked me to get her a comforter. At least she was honest and set low expectations.

3 Likes

My D received her room assignment this week so now we can finalize her dorm shopping. Woohoo! The rooms in her dorm are not uniform so she had to wait for the room info to lookup the size/shape. It is an oddly long, narrow room (22x11-ish) and has 3 windows as it is a corner. She did get her requested roomie (as expected) so that was nice. Apparently the class is slightly overenrolled as I saw posts on the parent FB page about doubles being used as triples so we are lucky that did not happen to her!

3 Likes

Get him a school flag to stick on the wall and call it a day :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My DW and I plan to visit every 1-2 months and wash D’s sheets for her. Or she can bring them home in a laundry bag.

We definitely didn’t teach our kids to be self-reliant. We’re bad people. :laughing:

Sarcasm I assume?

Nice white duvets here, but inexpensive covers from Ikea (they average around $14 and include a pillow sham too) - each child bought 2 and can change and wash - or not. Guessing these will be good for 1 year. Minimum throw pillows - as they heard from their cousin that they get gross and end up on the floor - I was surprised, as their beds have a lot at home (where someone…arranges them nicely each morning) ;)Of course, they picked very light color duvet covers and I kept my mouth shut.

What I can’t keep my mouth shut about is the cleaning out of book shelves - At my instruction, each kid made a giant stack of books they no longer want from their room shelves and our family room shelves to send to the library for their annual sale. I didn’t realize how emotionally attached I was to the books and I am ready to tell them to put them all back on the shelves - from Charlotte’s Web to the Warrior Cats phase and every best selling YA novel of the last few years. I have a problem !!!

8 Likes

Good to know about y her cheap IKEA duvet covers. I ordered a white comfort but maybe the answer is to throw a duvet on it. Even if she doesn’t wash it and it gets gross, we can just replace it!

Company Store has nice washable down comforters that pair nicely with quilts!

2 Likes

I have not used a top sheet in years. Fitted sheet and duvet. That’s it. Which is very common where I grew up in Europe. Saves time making the bed.

Yeah, that’s a big assumption. :joy:

4 Likes

Twin duvet covers are easy to get off and on plus can wash when you wash your sheets - all would fit in a load and top sheet optional :slight_smile: Ikea has several cute patterns (selling fast) - my daughter got a white one with little black thread dots (a lot of white) plus 1 big colorful throw pillow. The pillow “stuffer” came rolled, so easy to pack and also very inexpensive ($5 or so) plus lots of colors and the pillows are soft fabric. They each bought 2 covers and can change up the look of their bed too.

I imagine the actual comforter (we did higher quality for this item) will never be washed except maybe have them send to dry cleaner after storage each year…with that in mind, no clue when I washed all our current down duvets - but we do change/wash the duvet covers.

I refused to pay for fancy bedding for a dorm room, as I know it will be used a lot with kids sitting, eating and hanging out plus they will want a new look for the next step up in rooms/roommate sophomore year. This way I won’t mind spending the money on new covers, as long as the duvet down comforter lasts.

3 Likes

Target has some low cost full length mirrors with over-the-door hooks.

2 Likes

Allrighty well I went to Bed Bath and Beyond today and things have changed on their pack and hold program. I was informed that you can no longer walk through the store with the gun and have to use your phone. Also, you need to pay in advance now before they will pull and hold the stuff. Good news is that they won’t be sold out of something without notice before you get there. I came home online and discovered that a lot of the items are not available in the store where we will pick up and most of them are pricier than I could buy them in person even with the coupon. I also thought their search filters are not great since many items come up not available at the pick up store or else you pick the two hour pickup option and only a few very pricey items come up. So I’m kind of tempted to wait until I get there to shop in person since we are flying and I’m using a four phase approach to dorm shopping. I did find their checklist kind of helpful but of course it includes a lot of stuff we will buy elsewhere or not at all.

3 Likes

I do remember that being more common in Europe. To me, changing out the duvet cover is a colossal pain in the a**, I’d much rather just wash two sheets and be done with it (my king duvet cover is ridiculous). But yeah, without a top sheet the duvet cover should be washed much more frequently than usual, but of course everyone has their own threshold :wink:

1 Like

It is a good point that a twin duvet cover isn’t too hard to change out. Still…it’s a boy… :joy:

1 Like

In one of the groups I"m in, it could be the Michigan one, people were complaining about this and it turns out they’re revamping this. It’s still possible, but you have to create a registry first or something like that. I don’t do it because I often find the stuff we want cheaper elsewhere or just buy as we go, but there is definitely a workaround so I would call the 800 number and ask about it. I haven’t really paid much attention but I know this has definitely come up as people thinking you can no longer do it.

Yeah, I made a registry today. It will be helpful in a sense because it could just serve as a general list of things I need to buy at that stage of the trip. I’m a little nervous about all of the canceled and delayed flights and it might be nice to save a little time shopping, but I’m not ready to pull the trigger quite yet. Also if we end up wanting to return something I don’t want the period to start running.

PS. Did get a bed bug cover for $11 on clearance in person.

WHITE is definitely the rage as well as GRAY. My daughter redid her room last summer and all she wanted was white and gray. I was vetoing every comforter under the sun and finally caved on an inexpensive white one for like $25 she found at Target. Turns out it’s the cutest comforter ever and I’m mad she wouldn’t buy a second one for her college apartment this year back then, since she has a queen bed here and will have a full bed. I too don’t understand why anyone would want a white comforter. These kids eat and do their work on them and god knows about other messes and stains. My other daughter had a blue pen explode on her comforter a few years ago and nearly had a freakout. It wasn’t even fancy or anything either.

I mentioned duvet to my son and he was like forget it, too complicated. So we got a gray comforter for him from dormify which is super soft and assuming he will loft his bed bought a study pillow for him to use.

Here’s a question for those of you with older kids. Do any of them still use blankets, or lovies or anything like that? I had one thumb sucker but that one came home from year 1 of overnight camp no longer sucking her thumb. That was worth all the money spent on camp alone! But my son I know still likes his baby fleece blanket. Even recently there was something he mentioned about the laundry from the cleaning people that he commented to me about the dryer something offhanded. Maybe that it was basically done. My husband doesn’t like that they leave with stuff still in the dryer and to me it’s like who cares? It’s because they can’t get it all in there before we’re all out of the bedrooms on the day they come, so they start downstairs first. No harm to anyone, except my husband does the laundry and I guess he’s the one that then gets stuck folding it and we all know how folding sheets are the worst, lmao. Anyway, back to the point, my son said how the stuff was basically done. I asked how he knew and he told me because he pulled his blanket out. I hadn’t thought much about it but later realized he clearly went looking for that thing. So, is this a big thing as far as college? I want him to know it’s ok to take it, which it is but also definitely don’t want anyone to make fun of him. I assume he should just keep it inside his pillow/case? I would think no one really cares and he won’t be the only one but you know, there are always the a-holes and personally I think it’s kind of sweet. But definitely want him to know it’s ok. Just wondered what others have done.

But do you want to risk something happening to it? It’s very sweet that he still has that treasure. My boys each have a very worn looking stuffed puppy that stayed home. Daughter has a whole bin of stuffed animals in storage (all named during childhood) that she can’t part with, haha.

ok that stinks. I went to BBB yesterday and someone walked me through how to use my phone, put things in a basket, pay for them and then choose the store for pick up and the date we want to get it. Seemed pretty simple but your experience isn’t making it sound like it’s that easy.

1 Like