Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

I didn’t know what I wanted to be when I grew up until I was 30. Even now sometimes I wonder.

I had a funny and very accurate conversation with a friend a couple years ago. He was an athletic recruit and the schools he was getting interest from were all over the board. I asked what his son wanted to do long term. His answer was “He thinks he knows, but he doesn’t have a clue. He’s 16. When I was 16 I was confident and clueless too.”

My college junior has been floundering a bit and frustrated that he had no idea what he wanted to do after college. Then he took a class last spring just because he thought it sounded interesting, not because he was thinking about going into the field. It’s too late to change his major without it being pretty disruptive, but he finally found something he has some passion for. He will minor in that new field (fortunately it’s related to his major) and try to get a job there when he graduates. He had to pick a major when he applied to college, I don’t think it was necessarily a bad choice, but it’s really hard to guess what you want to do with your life when you are 17 and have taken zero classes related to the potential major that sounds interesting.

3 Likes

When I had my S21, I switched from an engineering career path with my company to marketing. I mean, total pivot despite never having taken a business class! Hopefully, all our kids learn skills needed. I do use my engr mindset daily, though.

1 Like

The message from colleges is a confusing one - students are told it’s more than ok not to know what they want to do, that there’s plenty of time to take a variety of classes and see what inspires them, yet they have to choose a major on applications (and on some, my D had to choose a back up major). When they get there, they learn about the frenzy to get necessary classes in most majors. Those who choose “undecided” often have trouble getting quality advising help and experience frustration with finding a seat in classes in various majors that they might have an interest in, because they don’t have the same priority as those who have officially declared the major.

My daughter didn’t know what she wanted to major in other than she didn’t want something science-based or math based (except that she’s very good in math, so I ignored that request). We steered her toward business-related majors with the condition that she was free to change to whatever interested her along the way (as long as she could make an argument that it would lead to gainful employment after graduation). She picked a different business major at each school she applied (marketing at one, real estate, accounting, supply chain, business management at others) and for the ones at the top of her list she checked to make sure she could easily change majors within the business school once she was there, if she wanted. She’s done a great job in the short time she’s been there, joining academic clubs related to her major and talking to her peers about their majors. It’s given her a lot to think about.

4 Likes

Aww that’s great. My S18 is in Pamplin and I live in the Burg :slight_smile: I hope she’s enjoying it all so far. Beautiful colors lately.

1 Like

Mine is there too! He’s in engineering but his roommate is in Pamplin. Go Hokies!

2 Likes

She loves it! Hasn’t been home since we dropped her off (despite having her car and only being 3 hours away). We’ve been up to visit 3x. Very impressed with the whole product compared with my older daughter’s experience at our state flagship (which was good also, but with a lot more bumps in the road).

It is beautiful up there but as my daughter reported this morning, a brisk 27-degree walk to her first class!

Yes, a bit chilly this morning :wink: And if she walks across the drillfield to get to class that takes off another 10 degrees at least. Back into the sixties next week though. :sunny:

1 Like

Honestly, I think it’s always been important to look at how each college handles changes in major. Everyone knows that kids change their minds many times. It should be part of the equation when looking at how to make the list.

We didn’t have to do a lot of digging on this issue since both of our kids were mostly interested in LACs where you don’t declare a major until second semester sophomore year (and even then you can change it after that). Both kids were completely undecided on major and it was pretty important that they attend schools that allowed them to take a wide range of classes before deciding. Even if a student seems sure (like @burghdad’s second D!), it’s important to know the options for switching majors before you enroll.

6 Likes

Totally agree! Every school D21 applied (one public, multiple small-medium sized privates) had that same policy of declaring by the end of sophomore year, as well as flexibility to change majors. D23 is likely engineering, so schools that do not force application directly into engineering, or at least are very flexible with changing within engineering are what we are focusing on.

2 Likes

Flexibility is important and variety of majors (and strong programs at that) is also important.

It’s one of those things I hoped would never happen. I had to unexpectedly put down our cat. Then I had to call D21 to tell her. Oh, the crying and wailing. And I couldn’t hug her. She hurt and I hurt. It’s still painful. “I never even got to say goodbye.” :sob:

I am so so sorry.

1 Like

@creaky I’m so sorry for you all. :heart:

Ugh, I’m so sorry. That happened to me when I was a freshman in college. Parents called to say they had put the dog down. I think it weighs heavily on my daughter who is now 1,200 miles away, with an 11-year-old dog at home. I feel for your daughter wishing she had that chance to say goodbye.

I am so sorry.

I am so sorry. Hugs to both you and your daughter.

I think the idea of another 4 years of school to be NP was a partial consideration as I understand that starting with 2025 college graduates NP school is going to be 4 years instead of the current 2 years.

1 Like

My wife was lamenting that D21’s admission process was driven by direct admit nursing and so she passed on some great engineering schools like VT (which was her favorite campus) UMD and Wisconsin. However, I selfishly look at the fact that Miami of Ohio gave her a full OOS tuition plus a little more scholarship. So all three of those other schools who basically give no merit money would have ended up being about 150K more expensive over 4 years.

5 Likes

Counting the days until Thanksgiving break. I can’t wait to have my S home again! He has suffered the last few days with a bad head cold. Apparently one day during that illness decided it was a good idea to go for a walk and “get some steps in” since he had to miss practice. Said the temps dropped off too quickly while he was out and he ended up underdressed in his regular light Patagonia puffer. I say boy you’d better figure out living in the cold soon! :grimacing: :cold_face: Curious to see if he enjoys our sunny weather while visiting home. I hear they basically sleep and eat the whole time.

5 Likes

Same here!! S21 has been sick/suffering from a bad head cold for the past week as well. I am counting down the days until he comes home for Thanksgiving!

2 Likes