Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

I just bought this fan at Costco. It’s advertised as being quiet and powerful and the size seemed right.
https://www.costco.com/woozoo-globe-multi-directional-5-speed-oscillating-fan-w-remote.product.100499225.html

1 Like

Oh, I had that in my cart last month but put it back because I saw a bunch of tower fans on Pinterest. It was $24 in the store, too. I’ll make sure to grab to Vornado this time.

I’m waiting to see what dorm S21 will get because they are apparently all different with closet and without closet (wardrobe) and with close doors and without closet doors. I use this hook that goes over the door of anything and was thinking that would be where he hangs his towel.

Many of the colleges all have cards you swipe and key for dorms. I got him an SF Giants lanyard thing that can hold both. I figured not many on the east coast will be Giants fans so he won’t get his mixed up with his roommate and the other students who may get the lanyards with the college logos.

1 Like

The fan is literally the only thing I’ve purchased. I’ve put bedding in my cart at pottery barn dorm and am hoping they send me a coupon to complete my purchase. I get the feeling that we won’t find out about dorm assignments until a couple of weeks before school. I’m planning on doing command hooks for the most part.

1 Like

We have checked the ikea bags twice. I think that’s their limit. They still look fine but my guy just says they probably won’t continue to make it through ok. We put the heavier stuff in the Samsonite bags. S19 will use the ikea bags to store stuff though so still good for that.

I saw their inspiration looks for guys and wow, so dorms look this nice these days? They even had one with a plant! My son would kill that thing super fast.

1 Like

My daughter has flown back and forth with her IKEA bags for four years without any problems but she has only ever put soft things in them, like clothes, bedding and sometimes shoes but she makes sure they are packed in between clothes so as not to poke the edges/seams or zippers. She also doesn’t fill them to the gills. They have worked for her with no problems. They are extremely light so don’t add weight when you are trying to stay within weight limits. She also takes direct flights so there is less handling of her bags. If she were having to make connections or was needing to really stuff the bags, I would double bag the IKEA bags or just buy a sturdier brand. They do eventually wear out depending how they are used.

2 Likes

Our S has used a similar duffle from REI. Rugged, and roomie he’s used it for moving all his cloths, and for packing ski or scuba gear for trips.

I did buy some school color coordinated bedding with my son’s approval. We are donating what he has used at boarding school the last 4 years. He will decorate with flags!

4 Likes

Would you mind linking to the surge protectors you are talking about? Specifically the one that sits on the desk? This is not something I know anything about.

2 Likes

I love that pillow, I really want it for my living room.

One suggestion: there is a global chip shortage now and it’s likely to get progressively worse during the year. If your student will need a new laptop for college, I would strongly suggest getting one sooner rather than later. Even Apple has recently said that supplies of some of its products is going to be affected.

7 Likes

Two move-in tips from my experience with D18. One – zip ties are great for attaching cords if you want to put up fairy lights or attach a charger to the bedpost. You can also use them to bundle cords going through the hole in a desk for chargers, etc.

Second, the Mom in me felt compelled to put together a small medicine box so that if my kid is unwell they don’t have to get to the CVS. Advil, Sudafed, a thermometer, allergy stuff, zinc lozenges, bandaids, and neosporin were the basics.

16 Likes

@loveorangecats Our friend has this and said it doesn’t tilt over. Vertical Power Strip Tower Surge Protector 15A, JACKYLED USB Charging Tower 10 Wide Outlets 4 USB Ports, 2 Individual Switches and Indicators, 6 Ft Heavy Duty Extension Cord for Home Office Kitchen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H3Q46W3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5N113R6908ECGY2F8G8R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

I got S21 a mini sewing kit, a temporal thermometer, and going to get a first aid kit at Costco or Walmart closer to move in date because of expiration date on things. I like the cough drop idea. I’m going to stop by our Costco business depot to get Tylenol and Motrin. They come individually packed. And I’m thinking DayQuil and NyQuil when it get there. These are things we have at home that they take for granted. I already have lactaid pills and allergy pills on the list, as well as pepto-bismol because my son can’t handle a lot of fried food. And because we are Asian…gotta pack the Eagle green oil, panacea for everything.

1 Like

What is Eagle green oil??

It’s kinda like an essential oil. It’s big in the Viet community and I would imagine Chinese since it’s from China. I use it for the following:

Eagle Brand Medicated Oil 0.8 Oz - 24 ml Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OCB70Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FE3J28991VTPV1MN0BCF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1. Congestion (short term)—dab a TINY bit on the nose (don’t ever touch your eyes without washing off the oil). Clear breathing.
    I have a thing that lets off steam and I put droplets in the water to help clear the throat and sinus.
  2. Coughs—I rub it on the kid’s chest
  3. When all else fails and nothing works western meds wise, I have this “coining” device, I apply the oil on the kid’s back and I rub their skin with the coining gadget.
  4. Stomach aches and cramps—apply and rub on stomach.

I know there’s no scientific proof it works and I am an engineer so I’m very science-based and love western meds, but this stuff has worked for me all my life. We have used it for generations. I use it sparingly with the kids because the smell is strong. Intense weird minty smell. It’d be an emergency thing because I’m not sure if the roommate would tolerate it. You just want to avoid knock offs.

3 Likes

PSA, whatever I saw about the United baggage thing was a scam. Well not literally LOL but the terms were weird and may have required a Premier membership that we don’t have, so I really don’t understand why the itinerary receipt has $0. But anyway… regular bag charges still applied (bummer). Just checked sibling in to fly home.

2 Likes

Interesting! I’ll have to try it!

I had an odd skin infection when I was in China adopting my daughter and was sent to a traditonal medicine practitioner within the hotel we were staying at. She spoke no English and I spoke no Mandarin…all she could do was observe my condition. She applied a herbal concoction to the area and it cleared up immediately!

4 Likes

@evergreen5 I think United and American requires you to buy a certain class ticket. I hate this nickel and diming concept. We knew a decade ago, everything was free.

2 Likes

It could also mean that the applicant pool itself was more diverse.

1 Like