Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

Happy Mother’s Day ‘21 moms. :bouquet:

11 Likes

Same situation at Tech but throw a blazer on top of that! After a couple of weeks of that he went to Goodwill and cut out the lining of the jacket. We will start with that this fall! They had one home game where the temperature was actually reasonable enough to tolerate the jacket - in either late October or November😂

The co-ed professional engineering “fraternity” (seems more of a club) at SCU has students pictured in suits, as do the regular frats. They probably don’t get used often, but perhaps for interviews and the occasional “formal.”

Wouldn’t internship interviews in SV involve suits even though the employer would be business casual? Curious about that.

Freshman year, suits seem less likely to be needed. But I think D (social science major, east coast) had to borrow from her business roommate for some zoom recruiting events this year as a sophomore.

I think it’s pretty clear that a business major should bring a suit, if not freshman year, then definitely by sophomore year.

1 Like

SLO has a Clothing Closet if students don’t have appropriate interview attire.

4 Likes

Adding a suit to S21’s very minimal (so far) shopping list!

Can anyone compare the those Samsonite tote a ton bags to the blue IKEA bags people rave about? I’m guessing the Samsonite are better quality and it looks like they are bigger.

I love the LLBean XL adventure duffel bags, my son has gone back and forth to boarding school the last 4 years with 2 of these and you can have them monogrammed.

4 Likes

And you can get them with wheels, though then they take up more space. We have a couple of these - maybe I should give them to S’s.

Older sibling has a lightweight tote similar to the Samsonite, though hopefully the Samsonite has better handles that are more comfortable. The tote we have, when fully loaded, is challenging to carry, needs to be set on top of something with wheels, and the handles are not comfy, especially if I try to put it on a shoulder.

We have no wheels and just get a cart at the airport. That way they fold up into an included storage pouch and store easily.

2 Likes

Yes, I think we have some of both, in multiple sizes. I do think they’re better than the random lightweight tote D has, though still, carrying without wheels for any significant distance would not be my thing. Though, I think one S already took from me the large Bean duffle that doesn’t have wheels, as he doesn’t mind carrying. I think XL might be too big, L is the way to go.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, I am going to order one for my son.

1 Like

Ok I’ve decided that boy dorm stuff comes in two categories, one that can fold flat and one that is bulky. So I’m going to order flat, small, and fabric stuff and do the pre-order pick up for the rest. I did also order a desktop surge protector / charger station with a long cord since that is sort of a specialty item.

I also feel like I could always supplement some extras if needed via Amazon once he’s there.

Shopping is much more fun than stressing about admission unknowns! I’m starting to feel like a normal person again.

Now I’ve bought a parka and booked a hotel room.

8 Likes

Ours are 6 years old and still look new, they’re great!

1 Like

Well, I am odd woman out here! I’m still burned out from last 9 months to really even think of moving in plans at the detail many of you are. I’ve made hotel reservations and that is it.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::laughing:

7 Likes

I guess his prom suit won’t work for an interview. ) :smiley:

4 Likes

Make sure you check the dorm for restrictions. Surge protectors require grounding (most do) and 15Amp at S21’s school. I saw a 25’ one on Amazon. I’m getting that and I’m getting one that sits on the desk for multiple plugs. I figured two is enough.

Any reco on fans? Are tower fans better and do the kids get one for their own section so that they can point it more directly to them? Costco has a vornado one that I think could fit in my carryon (I pack light) so it would not get beat up via check-in handling. But it’s not a tower. Tower I love my vornado fan and heater unit but the dorm doesn’t allow for a heater.

2 Likes

Also, ebags sells the samsonite tote a ton. They own samsonite. They’re out of stock now but we have some time and you can double up on sales code so they could end up being $21/bag.

1 Like

My daughter brought a Vornado fan, her roommate brought a box fan (no AC in their dorm). Both worked very well with different functions. They put the box fan in the window of their room for circulation in/out and used the Vornado in the middle of the room to cool down.

I wouldn’t recommend a tower fan, not really that stable and takes up room. The Vornado was able to be placed on dresser, and as I said the box fan sat in front of their open window.

2 Likes

Thank you! Going to go get that fan from Costco this week then! I have a box in the formal living room (no one comes to visit these days) and I’ve been putting stuff I order in there for his dorm. This fan will need its own section.

I can’t wait for S21 to move out in a way because it’ll give me a few months to clean up his room. It’s a consistent war zone feel.

3 Likes

We have had both. The Samsonite ones are great and fold down small but do take up more room. They are actually substantial though and something that you could check easily as luggage. An IKEA bag is durable but I wouldn’t want to check it as luggage because it is thin material.

My nephew is in boarding school and flies home for breaks. He regularly uses the Samsonite version on the airline.

We got one of those surge protectors with the long cords as well. It was great because my son used command strip to attach it to his lofted bunk at the top. That way he could plug in a phone charger or his computer while he was on his bed.

3 Likes